SE fret question

Muziqman

Hey guys. Are there any other SE models that have jumbo frets besides the SE Mark Holcomb ?? I like the Holcomb's specs but I'm not a huge metal player.

Sorry that I can't answer your question at this moment but I got sth. interesting to share. I was told that SE Holcomb has jumbo fret but as I compare it to SE Custom in person, they look identical to me no matter looking from front or side view.

I've seen jumbo frets on many other guitars before, but none of them looked like SE Holcomb's jumbo fret to be honest. At this point, to my eye, the SE Holcomb frets are just PRS's regular medium-jumbo size. Maybe the Holcomb's frets are a bit taller? But looking at the fret end side I still could't see any differences anyway.

Next visit I will bring some tools to measure them for better accuracy. Hopefully I will detect some differences.

Jf2yEKO.jpg

A few months ago I was in the local big store that had several PRS models. I tried a 594, 408, CU24, CU22, and an SE Holcomb. Interestingly the 408 had the same frets as the Holcomb. I liked the necks on the CU24 and Holcomb the best. From my research so far I would think the Holcomb frets are very similar to DGT frets. I just dont know if there are any SE models with big frets besides the Holcomb.

DGT and 408 fret size feels very similar to me. Therefore if the 408 frets are the same as the Holcombs, there is a good chance they are jumbos.

Regarding SEs with jumbo frets, try looking into the Akesson, Akerfeldt, Torero and Allender. I believe they all have jumbo frets.

Back