SE Customs: What Years or models have Wide Fat?

IceTre

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum. I've been looking at the SE Customs, as they seem like a great value. I generally don't like thin necks, but it seems that is what all the new ones are. But I see that some of the older ones have "wide-fat" necks. I'm guessing I would like those better. Was the wide-fat neck profile standard on the SE Customs during a certain range of years? If so, I'll look for those. I looked on the PRS website and the forum but couldn't find this information.

Thanks,

Just about the only SE with a W/T is the Custom 24. All the others are W/F. IIRC.

Thanks for the reply, AP515, but the Custom SE 22's on the PRS website-- both solid body and semi-hollow-- say wide-thin, I don't see any wide fat. It appears they don't make any more with wide fat. ???

Probably not in the customs but there are many other choices.

Last edited:
The semi hollow, hollow, SE Starla, and SE standard 245 all have wide fat according to the site. I think some older SE 22s had wide fat maybe.

-k

My SE Std22 is a W/F, but that model was discontinued. All the Soapbar equipped SEs I own are W/F as are the 245 & Bernie Marsden.

Used may be the way to go.

I have a 2015 SE 24 Custom 24. The neck is the widest of all my PRSI, even though it was listed as wide/thin. It is also as deep as my wide/fat.

To clarify: My question concerns only the SE Custom 22 solid and semi-hollow, and the SE Custom 24. I'm not interested in the 245, Standard, signature models, etc. So to restate: does anybody know if these 3 models were ever made with a fat neck, and if so, what years? That way I'll know what years to look for used. Thanks.

I know for sure the flat topped CU22’s and Semi’s were W/F, I don’t believe there’s ever been a W/F SE CU24.

The flat top guitars don’t really seem to get as much praise, which is a shame because they’re incredibly consistent and great guitars. The plus side is that they are generally cheaper.

I was able to play a couple of SE Customs at Guitar Center a few days ago. One was a 22-fret semi-hollow body, and the other was a 24-fret solid body. These have what PRS calls the "Wide-Thin" necks. But I didn't think they were very thin. They seemed average thickness to me. Certainly not skinny necks like the shredder guitars. I thought the necks were fine. Not a show stopper for me at all. That's good.

Looking at the catalogs...

The last year the SE Custom 22 did come with the wide fat neck was the 2009.
"Maple top & flame maple veneer, mahogany back, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany wide fat neck, rosewood fretboard, moon inlays, PRS designed tremolo or stoptail, humbucking pickups, volume & tone control, 3-way toggle, Cordura gig bag
Finish: Cherry Sunburst, Gray Black, Tobacco Sunburst"

After that year Cu22 seem to disappear from the market (only the SE Cu24 left, with thin neck).

The Custom semi hollow 22 frets had the WF neck until 2013.
"Custom Semi-Hollow
Maple top & flame maple veneer, mahogany back, single sound hole, 25" scale length, 22 fret mahogany 'wide fat' neck, rosewood fretboard, bird inlays, PRS designed stoptail, SE humbucking pickups, volume & tone control, 3-way toggle, Cordura gig bag
Finishes: Vintage Sunburst"

Both model re-appeared from 2016 but with wide thin necks.

Guitar Center wouldn't come down on the list price for their SE 22 semi-hollow, but I got a great price from another store for a demo with one tiny blemish. So I'm now the happy owner of a sunburst PRS SE Custom 22 semi-hollow guitar!

Back