SE Customs Now Manufactured in Indonesia?

Looks like the Epi 1959 Standard outfit (which I have :) ) Although the new Prophecy series are $899

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...1959-les-paul-standard-outfit-aged-dark-burst

50655058501_f9c447a15f_c.jpg

Well, Epiphone 1959 is not really a regular production model of Epiphone, this is limited edition collaboration with Gibson Custom Shop, with mostly Gibson made electronics. This is more of an experiment for Epiphone, something they've never done before. Plus it sold out too fast, most retailers don't have it except couple dealers.

Besides limited availability, I don't think you can compare SE 245 to it, as Epiphone 1959 is a higher level instrument. Equivalent would be limited run of PRS SE with USA made parts (pickups, pots, tuners, etc).

But if you must use PRS Indonesia to Epiphone China analogy - new 2020 Epiphone are notorious for inconsistent quality, there were so many returns when new models were launched. Plus majority on Chinese Epiphones need a set-up. Which proves my point that quality suffers as companies move down the ladder of Asian manufacturers.

My SE Cu24 was made in Indonesia and is magnificent. The amethyst color and ebony fret board were what I was looking for in this model, and interestingly, I think it is the only SE Cu24 made in Indo. Build quality and craftsmanship are great. I'll post a picture when I figure out how. :)

My SE Cu24 was made in Indonesia and is magnificent. The amethyst color and ebony fret board were what I was looking for in this model, and interestingly, I think it is the only SE Cu24 made in Indo. Build quality and craftsmanship are great. I'll post a picture when I figure out how. :)
Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of threads that will give you details on posting pictures, but basically you need to have them hosted somewhere else and you can link to them here by clicking the little mountain icon.

Well, Epiphone 1959 is not really a regular production model of Epiphone, this is limited edition collaboration with Gibson Custom Shop, with mostly Gibson made electronics. This is more of an experiment for Epiphone, something they've never done before. Plus it sold out too fast, most retailers don't have it except couple dealers.

Besides limited availability, I don't think you can compare SE 245 to it, as Epiphone 1959 is a higher level instrument. Equivalent would be limited run of PRS SE with USA made parts (pickups, pots, tuners, etc).

But if you must use PRS Indonesia to Epiphone China analogy - new 2020 Epiphone are notorious for inconsistent quality, there were so many returns when new models were launched. Plus majority on Chinese Epiphones need a set-up. Which proves my point that quality suffers as companies move down the ladder of Asian manufacturers.

I have to agree the limited edition Epiphones can be a different breed. Its not a new concept though, more of an evolution. I have one of Epis custom shop SGs and it's one of the nicest SGs I've played. It was a long while back when they were doing a guitar of the moth runs. I was surprised when I opened it up and the electronics were Gibson but it still had EPI pups. It fights way above its weight class than when you think of Epiphone.

Unless you are an employee of Epiphone or the holding company that contracted for these goods, one cannot say with any degree of certainty why or what percentage of products left the factory "defective".

All this anecdotal evidence points to is that Epiphone or whoever runs the factory ... does not have an adequate QC process in place to assure compliance to specifications prior to shipment. Or that Epi US does not inspect this factory output prior to shipment to dealers.

Not a reflection of poor Asian manufacturing... just poor contracting ...:oops:

Have you heard of the same kinds of problems with PRS acoustic instruments, or the new , cant seem to keep them on the store walls Hollowbodies ? These products are all made in China from what I understand.

If these "down the ladder" Chinese products were junk, we'd know something by now. In fairness, I'm going to survey other non PRS Forums to see if there are reports of QC disasters to support your allegation ...

First of all, a number of years ago, the Korean government mandated a wage increase for all businesses in the country. That was when PRS moved their production. There doesn’t HAVE to be a diminution of quality when production is moved to a different country. The buyer of the goods can get whatever level of Quality he/ she is willing to demand, and then pay for. Jack Higginbotham spent a helluva lot of time in Asia getting things right from the inception of the SE line till now. He’s always been in charge of the SE Division. Personally, I was a skeptic about buying a Chinese made Hollow body. I trusted Jack and PRS, and I can tell you the SE Hollowbodies are damn fine, price aside. Mine will never be sold. It’s worth every penny I paid, and more. You can get junk from any country, if that’s all you’re willing to pay for.

Unless you are an employee of Epiphone or the holding company that contracted for these goods, one cannot say with any degree of certainty why or what percentage of products left the factory "defective".

All this anecdotal evidence points to is that Epiphone or whoever runs the factory ... does not have an adequate QC process in place to assure compliance to specifications prior to shipment. Or that Epi US does not inspect this factory output prior to shipment to dealers.

Not a reflection of poor Asian manufacturing... just poor contracting ...:oops:

Have you heard of the same kinds of problems with PRS acoustic instruments, or the new , cant seem to keep them on the store walls Hollowbodies ? These products are all made in China from what I understand.

If these "down the ladder" Chinese products were junk, we'd know something by now. In fairness, I'm going to survey other non PRS Forums to see if there are reports of QC disasters to support your allegation ...

I am not saying all Chinese made guitar are junk, but some of them are quite horrible. I just bought Epiphone SG Modern made in China. This is supposed to be a high end model and as such one would expect high QC.
Well, I don't know how they allowed for this guitar to leave the factory. There are multiple defects that should have been a showstopper:
1) Frets are badly unfinished - there are vertical marks on them in the middle, like someone took a large grit file and went up and down the neck. I guess no one told the workers about fret polishing.
2) You can literally cut your fingers with sharp and sticking out fret ends.
3) Binding finish is asymmetrical on the sides of the neck.
4) String buzzing all over the neck
5) Crack between the neck and the body.

Most of these issues (with exception of perhaps #5) should have been seen by QC at the factory...

Epiphone 1959 les Paul standard outfit,kicks the butt of every se model there is,far superior in every way,Gibson USA pickups and superior electric components and materials,

Back