SE Customs Now Manufactured in Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by jdag, Feb 21, 2018.

1. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Cor-Tek, aka Cort, has made like a gazillion guitars over several decades. They're one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, makers of guitars. It's just that most companies have them ghost build.

I think it's very cool of PRS to give credit where it's due.

bodia likes this.
  2. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Thanks, I wasn’t sure if it was appropriate to go into this detail, hence keeping it fairly general.

Google is our friend :D

3. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

The new SE acoustic line is made by Cort in China.

4. Alnus Rubra

I think the initial concern, by the OP and others, was of the quality of the build, now that the country of origin has changed.

Hopefully the replies have allayed any fears that Cor-tek haven’t been given a “licence” to print money!;)

mtyler06 likes this.
  5. LTigh

LTigh New Member

Yeah, forgot about their Chinese acoustic plant.

Should have worded it that Cor-Tek moved their operations out of Korea.

6. Kynlore

Kynlore Your name here

I don’t think it would be likely that you will see a WMI made SE sold at one price, and an identical Cor-Tek made SE sold at a lower price, if that’s what you are asking about savings being passed on to the consumer.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  7. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

Plus:
    • Advertising & marketing
    • Rent
    • Support staff
    • Shipping
    • Quality control
    • R&D
    • Oh yeah, they also deserve to make some small profit.

8. Victek

Victek New Member

Decided to put up a picture here:

[​IMG]

Pretty much everything I said about the whale blue SE CU24 that preceded this one applies; great setup and sound right out of the box. The only small mod I'm planning is a set of Schaller straplocks. They make the strap really secure and also easy to put on and take off.
    [​IMG]

9. Alnus Rubra

Saweet! Nice top, enjoy!

10. oldjock

oldjock New Member

I have the 2017 SE Santana made in Indonesia. If anyone has any issues about quality control, I can dispel them. Mine is perfect in every way, not a single flaw to be found. Very pleased.

[email protected] and Victek like this.
  11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

So...I’ll bet you dress really well for the stage yourself; nice suit, expensive haircut, great looking boots, perfectly capped teeth...the whole bit.

That way the guitar doesn’t have to do the heavy lifting for looks. Star power! Am I right? ;) :)

Heheh. Yeah, I know, I know...

dogrocketp, markd21 and Alnus Rubra like this.
  12. markd21

markd21 New Member

LOL!! I DO have "stage" outfits, and specifically plan what I wear. When I do fly dates to cooler climates (I'm in FL) I have some snazzy pastel colored blazers (think Miami Vice, lol) that match different guitars. I usually only wear those when doing pop gigs, though. These days, doing classic metal, I am wearing dark stuff so the guitars do the "heavy lifting". These guitars DO have "star power" - people drool. At the gig last night, I walked away after clearing the stage and my singer was holding my guitar while 5-6 people were standing around it/him stroking the strings/guitar in awe. I was annoyed and chuckling at the same time. It's just a guitar, you know!

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

@[email protected] - thanks for that information!! It's awesome that Cort is involved.

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Back in the day I lent a really nice, new guitar that I’d saved up for, to a friend for only one afternoon. He promised he’d take super care of it, won’t get dinged, wouldn’t even use a pick, etc. etc.

Came back to me with deep pick scratches, sticky from who-knows-what, a mess!

I asked, “How could you let this happen to my new, perfect guitar?”

He looked at me like I was from Mars.

“It’s JUST a guitar,” he said (as my head exploded).

I was so pissed, I couldn’t even look at it afterward without being even more pissed, and sold it a few days later. I’m steaming all over again just thinking about it.

Many years later, he was over at my studio (friendships not being worth destroying over mere guitars) and he wanted to play one of my Private Stocks. I said, “Not. A. Chance.”

He was visibly offended, and said, “Hey, It’s not like I’m going to mess it up.”

As I was putting it in its case trying to get it as far away from his mitts as possible, I said, “Nah, you don’t need to play it. It’s just a guitar.”

14. markd21

markd21 New Member

TOTALLY feel ya.

My "It's just a guitar...." was a bit sarcastic - I was chuckling because I am always shocked at people always seem to crowd around my guitar...but I was NOT pleased that he was letting people I don't know paw all over it. Dude, if I hadn't had to REALLY use the can, that would NOT have been the case. At least he was "guarding" it, and no one was playing it or anything...

But, yeah - the PRS' are certainly NOT "just a guitar"!!

dogrocketp and LSchefman like this.
  15. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I totally got that you were being sarcastic, and not pleased! It wasn’t a
    PRS, but it was still a nice fiddle.

Didn’t really make sense to sell it. I was just P.O.’d. This was in pre-internet times; my dealer had a customer looking for one, so...

dogrocketp and markd21 like this.
  16. Ken Kelly

Ken Kelly New Member

Cor-Tek is Cort guitars, they are now producing various models of the PRS SE and Standard series as is PT Wildwood in Indonesia.

17. bigbaconclassic

bigbaconclassic New Member

Does anyone know what se models are from Korea?

18. Victek

Victek New Member

I don't know if any SE models are made in only one location. For instance if you go to sweetwarter.com and look at the screenshots for the SE Custom 24s you can see that they are made in both Korea and Indonesia.

19. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

All of them up to the intro of the Standard series a few years back, which are Indonesian. We're only seeing the mix of Korean and Indonesian in the other models starting this year.

Shouldn't really matter, though. They are all contract built to PRS spec and then setup/inspected in the Maryland factory.

bodia likes this.
  20. Alnus Rubra

Or if you’re in Europe, they are given final check before going to dealers by PRS UK.