SE Customs Now Manufactured in Indonesia?

Cor-Tek, aka Cort, has made like a gazillion guitars over several decades. They're one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, makers of guitars. It's just that most companies have them ghost build.

I think it's very cool of PRS to give credit where it's due.

Cor-Tek manufactures Cort Guitars, plus all their contract stuff for manufacturers like Ibanez, Fender, and now PRS. Cor-Tek is the well established guitar maker (they, along with Samick, are the largest guitar manufacturers in the world and produce far more than the biggest US companies do in-house), Cort is their house brand that is part of Cor-Tek.

Cor-Tek and Samick used to be the largest guitar manufacturers in Korea until the mid 2000s, then Cor-Tek moved their operations entirely to Indonesia. As to why, you can Google that.
Thanks, I wasn’t sure if it was appropriate to go into this detail, hence keeping it fairly general.

Google is our friend :D

I think the initial concern, by the OP and others, was of the quality of the build, now that the country of origin has changed.

Hopefully the replies have allayed any fears that Cor-tek haven’t been given a “licence” to print money!;)

Will the savings be passed onto the consumer? I doubt that the finished unit cost is the same in Indonesia as it is from WMI Korea.

Country of manufacture doesn't necessarily determine a product's quality, but it does give some indication to it.

The price we pay for an American made guitar is higher than employee wage and component cost would indicate. A good portion of the reason for this is there is higher investment in the factory; that is, more training, higher quality machines, better QC ect.

WMI Korea is an established factory with a reputation for quality. Lots of brands are making their higher quality imports in that factory. Given their reputation, they can ask for somewhat higher prices and the brands who make guitars there tend to charge more for those models than they do for their Chinese and Indonesian lines. Part of that upcharge must go to the generally higher wages in Korea, but I' also willing to bet that WMI has better trained employees, better/more well thought out machines ect.

It's pure speculation on my part, but I think my line of thought is reasonable. I'm glad my Custom 24 SE is Made in Korea. I wouldn't be against one made in Indonesia, but I wouldn't pay the same price for one either.

I don’t think it would be likely that you will see a WMI made SE sold at one price, and an identical Cor-Tek made SE sold at a lower price, if that’s what you are asking about savings being passed on to the consumer.

The price we pay for an American made guitar is higher than employee wage and component cost would indicate. A good portion of the reason for this is there is higher investment in the factory; that is, more training, higher quality machines, better QC ect.

Plus:
  • Advertising & marketing
  • Rent
  • Support staff
  • Shipping
  • Quality control
  • R&D
  • Oh yeah, they also deserve to make some small profit.

#1 - Start a NGD thread w/pics!

Decided to put up a picture here:

PRS%20SE%20CU24%20Scarlet%20Red_zpst5ptwvqb.jpg

Pretty much everything I said about the whale blue SE CU24 that preceded this one applies; great setup and sound right out of the box. The only small mod I'm planning is a set of Schaller straplocks. They make the strap really secure and also easy to put on and take off.
PRS%20SE%20CU24%20Scarlet%20Red_zpst4vdbnaq.jpg.html

Decided to put up a picture here:

PRS%20SE%20CU24%20Scarlet%20Red_zpst5ptwvqb.jpg

Pretty much everything I said about the whale blue SE CU24 that preceded this one applies; great setup and sound right out of the box. The only small mod I'm planning is a set of Schaller straplocks. They make the strap really secure and also easy to put on and take off.
PRS%20SE%20CU24%20Scarlet%20Red_zpst4vdbnaq.jpg.html
Saweet! Nice top, enjoy!

I have the 2017 SE Santana made in Indonesia. If anyone has any issues about quality control, I can dispel them. Mine is perfect in every way, not a single flaw to be found. Very pleased.

While I love playing it, the darkness of the color often rubs me because I like my guitars to look extra "pretty" onstage!!!

So...I’ll bet you dress really well for the stage yourself; nice suit, expensive haircut, great looking boots, perfectly capped teeth...the whole bit.

That way the guitar doesn’t have to do the heavy lifting for looks. Star power! Am I right? ;) :)

Heheh. Yeah, I know, I know...

So...I’ll bet you dress really well for the stage yourself; nice suit, expensive haircut, great looking boots, perfectly capped teeth...the whole bit.

That way the guitar doesn’t have to do the heavy lifting for looks. Star power! Am I right? ;) :)

Heheh. Yeah, I know, I know...

LOL!! I DO have "stage" outfits, and specifically plan what I wear. When I do fly dates to cooler climates (I'm in FL) I have some snazzy pastel colored blazers (think Miami Vice, lol) that match different guitars. I usually only wear those when doing pop gigs, though. These days, doing classic metal, I am wearing dark stuff so the guitars do the "heavy lifting". These guitars DO have "star power" - people drool. At the gig last night, I walked away after clearing the stage and my singer was holding my guitar while 5-6 people were standing around it/him stroking the strings/guitar in awe. I was annoyed and chuckling at the same time. It's just a guitar, you know!

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

@Shawn@PRS - thanks for that information!! It's awesome that Cort is involved.

It's just a guitar, you know!

Back in the day I lent a really nice, new guitar that I’d saved up for, to a friend for only one afternoon. He promised he’d take super care of it, won’t get dinged, wouldn’t even use a pick, etc. etc.

Came back to me with deep pick scratches, sticky from who-knows-what, a mess!

I asked, “How could you let this happen to my new, perfect guitar?”

He looked at me like I was from Mars.

“It’s JUST a guitar,” he said (as my head exploded).

I was so pissed, I couldn’t even look at it afterward without being even more pissed, and sold it a few days later. I’m steaming all over again just thinking about it.

Many years later, he was over at my studio (friendships not being worth destroying over mere guitars) and he wanted to play one of my Private Stocks. I said, “Not. A. Chance.”

He was visibly offended, and said, “Hey, It’s not like I’m going to mess it up.”

As I was putting it in its case trying to get it as far away from his mitts as possible, I said, “Nah, you don’t need to play it. It’s just a guitar.”

Back in the day I lent a really nice, new guitar that I’d saved up for, to a friend for only one afternoon. He promised he’d take super care of it, won’t get dinged, wouldn’t even use a pick, etc. etc.

Came back to me with deep pick scratches, sticky from who-knows-what, a mess!

I asked, “How could you let this happen to my new, perfect guitar?”

He looked at me like I was from Mars.

“It’s JUST a guitar,” he said (as my head exploded).

I was so pissed, I couldn’t even look at it afterward without being even more pissed, and sold it a few days later. I’m steaming all over again just thinking about it.

Many years later, he was over at my studio (friendships not being worth destroying over mere guitars) and he wanted to play one of my Private Stocks. I said, “Not. A. Chance.”

He was visibly offended, and said, “Hey, It’s not like I’m going to mess it up.”

As I was putting it in its case trying to get it as far away from his mitts as possible, I said, “Nah, you don’t need to play it. It’s just a guitar.”

TOTALLY feel ya.

My "It's just a guitar...." was a bit sarcastic - I was chuckling because I am always shocked at people always seem to crowd around my guitar...but I was NOT pleased that he was letting people I don't know paw all over it. Dude, if I hadn't had to REALLY use the can, that would NOT have been the case. At least he was "guarding" it, and no one was playing it or anything...

But, yeah - the PRS' are certainly NOT "just a guitar"!!

TOTALLY feel ya.

My "It's just a guitar...." was a bit sarcastic - I was chuckling because I am always shocked at people always seem to crowd around my guitar...but I was NOT pleased that he was letting people I don't know paw all over it. Dude, if I hadn't had to REALLY use the can, that would NOT have been the case. At least he was "guarding" it, and no one was playing it or anything...

But, yeah - the PRS' are certainly NOT "just a guitar"!!

I totally got that you were being sarcastic, and not pleased! It wasn’t a
PRS, but it was still a nice fiddle.

Didn’t really make sense to sell it. I was just P.O.’d. This was in pre-internet times; my dealer had a customer looking for one, so...

I saw a post on a Reddit forum, pointing to a photo of a PRS SE Custom 24. The back of the headstock indicates that the guitar was manufactured in Indonesia.

Is this a recent development? Are all SE Customs going to be manufactured in Indonesia? What about Korea?

Reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/7yzvax/gear_ngd_prs_custom_24_se_in_whale_blue_and_a/

Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/K0YHt
Cor-Tek is Cort guitars, they are now producing various models of the PRS SE and Standard series as is PT Wildwood in Indonesia.

Does anyone know what se models are from Korea?

I don't know if any SE models are made in only one location. For instance if you go to sweetwarter.com and look at the screenshots for the SE Custom 24s you can see that they are made in both Korea and Indonesia.

Does anyone know what se models are from Korea?

All of them up to the intro of the Standard series a few years back, which are Indonesian. We're only seeing the mix of Korean and Indonesian in the other models starting this year.

Shouldn't really matter, though. They are all contract built to PRS spec and then setup/inspected in the Maryland factory.

All of them up to the intro of the Standard series a few years back, which are Indonesian. We're only seeing the mix of Korean and Indonesian in the other models starting this year.

Shouldn't really matter, though. They are all contract built to PRS spec and then setup/inspected in the Maryland factory.
Or if you’re in Europe, they are given final check before going to dealers by PRS UK.

Back