SE Customs Now Manufactured in Indonesia?

Hi Madak ..... it looks as if your post certainly sparked some interest. Seems to be increasingly clear that the Custom 24SE will now be coming out of Indonesia.

Victek seems to have had some issues. Out of interest how is yours in regards to build and finish quality?

This is my first upgrade from a beginner guitar so I probably haven't noticed everything an expert would, but it all seems fine to me. I had my guitar set up at a shop too and they said everything looked normal.

My only complaint with the guitar is how dark the finish is. In most lighting it almost looks black! I'm thinking of looking into ways to lighten it.

This is my first upgrade from a beginner guitar so I probably haven't noticed everything an expert would, but it all seems fine to me. I had my guitar set up at a shop too and they said everything looked normal.

My only complaint with the guitar is how dark the finish is. In most lighting it almost looks black! I'm thinking of looking into ways to lighten it.
Bright lights?;)

The 1st thing I notice when seeing the photo was how much darker that blue is compared to the Whale Blue SEs I've seen. IMO, if you are not thrilled with the color, send it back. Maybe a 2017 model would be best???

Whale Blue is weird to me, anyway. I have a Whale Blue Artist Package SC250 and it is DARK unless it is in natural light or brighter stage lights. In the house it looks VERY close to black - so much so it's hard to see the GORGEOUS flame. Meh, is what it is - but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that it annoys me sometimes.

Whale Blue is weird to me, anyway. I have a Whale Blue Artist Package SC250 and it is DARK unless it is in natural light or brighter stage lights. In the house it looks VERY close to black - so much so it's hard to see the GORGEOUS flame. Meh, is what it is - but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that it annoys me sometimes.
Does it sound great and is it great to play?

Does it sound great and is it great to play?

OH, HAHAHAHA - yes, of course!! It's a BEAST!!! But, I buy guitars like a woman buys shoes - they are colorful accessories for stage use. While I love playing it, the darkness of the color often rubs me because I like my guitars to look extra "pretty" onstage!!!

Beyond silly, but WAY true, lol.

So my new (and first PRS) SE Custom24 in Fire Red Burst is on the way from Sweetwater. They sent me pictures via e-mail, so I did verify the serial number is from Cor Tek in Indonesia. Another difference I noticed was in the picture of the back of the guitar. There are only three springs attached to the tremolo, where every other picture I have seen has four. I also looked online at the PRS parts store and when you buy it from them it includes four springs. It should be delivered on Saturday so we'll see how it goes....

So my new (and first PRS) SE Custom24 in Fire Red Burst is on the way from Sweetwater. They sent me pictures via e-mail, so I did verify the serial number is from Cor Tek in Indonesia. Another difference I noticed was in the picture of the back of the guitar. There are only three springs attached to the tremolo, where every other picture I have seen has four. I also looked online at the PRS parts store and when you buy it from them it includes four springs. It should be delivered on Saturday so we'll see how it goes....
You might actually get an extra trem spring in the bag. Some people like 3, others like 4 or even 5, depending on the string gauge they're using and how they want the trem to "feel". But, trem springs are trem springs - you can get them at any music store (they're cheap), and chances are, if you ask nicely, they probably have a bunch of them sitting in a parts drawer that they might just give you.

OH, HAHAHAHA - yes, of course!! It's a BEAST!!! But, I buy guitars like a woman buys shoes - they are colorful accessories for stage use. While I love playing it, the darkness of the color often rubs me because I like my guitars to look extra "pretty" onstage!!!

Not at all, if you want her to be pretty, you have to be happy! Maybe you can enjoy her, even though she’s got a hidden beauty?

guitar colors are weird, and even with PRS there will be inconsistencies from one to the next. My 25th Anniversary C22 LTD semi hollow has a "Sapphire Blue Smokeburst. It has a 10 top and is GORGEOUS!!! But, between the dark blue stain and fading to solid black on the edges, it's hard to get a photo that shows just how beautiful it really is. In all the pics, it just looks dark blue and you can't see that gorgeous super tight flame. And if you use a flash on the camera, it makes the flame show but makes the color look much lighter than it really is.

I've seen numerous "Whale Blue" PRS guitars and it seems to be a color that can vary significantly. The core Mira w/ flamed maple cap that I fell in love with at my buddies store a few years back (mentioned in Mira thread a few days ago), was hanging right next to another PRS and both were Whale Blue w' flamed maple tops. I wish I had a picture. Both were beautiful, but not even close in color and shade. The Mira was darker and more blue blue, the other one was lighter and had a bit of greenish as you got out towards the edges. Both really cool but I wouldn't have guessed them to be the same official color. I think some has to do with the wood, but a lot of it is the finisher. One clearly had a darker, more blue color (more stain) and one was more faded/lighter colored (sanded more after stain?).

guitar colors are weird, and even with PRS there will be inconsistencies from one to the next. My 25th Anniversary C22 LTD semi hollow has a "Sapphire Blue Smokeburst. It has a 10 top and is GORGEOUS!!! But, between the dark blue stain and fading to solid black on the edges, it's hard to get a photo that shows just how beautiful it really is. In all the pics, it just looks dark blue and you can't see that gorgeous super tight flame. And if you use a flash on the camera, it makes the flame show but makes the color look much lighter than it really is.

I've seen numerous "Whale Blue" PRS guitars and it seems to be a color that can vary significantly. The core Mira w/ flamed maple cap that I fell in love with at my buddies store a few years back (mentioned in Mira thread a few days ago), was hanging right next to another PRS and both were Whale Blue w' flamed maple tops. I wish I had a picture. Both were beautiful, but not even close in color and shade. The Mira was darker and more blue blue, the other one was lighter and had a bit of greenish as you got out towards the edges. Both really cool but I wouldn't have guessed them to be the same official color. I think some has to do with the wood, but a lot of it is the finisher. One clearly had a darker, more blue color (more stain) and one was more faded/lighter colored (sanded more after stain?).
The beauty of hand finish! Almost like a custom guitar, unique!!

I hear blue is one of the colors that likes to fade, so maybe keep it outside of the case close to the window...

I hear blue is one of the colors that likes to fade, so maybe keep it outside of the case close to the window...

Seriously, I have considered it. But in the end, it IS a beauty - and is really awesome. I am just being a baby about it in the end, lol. When I pull it out and play it, I am all smiles. People tend to LOVE it when I have it out.....

Outside, in natural light:

Inside in the house:

Again, MORE than gorgeous!!!

Seriously, I have considered it. But in the end, it IS a beauty - and is really awesome. I am just being a baby about it in the end, lol. When I pull it out and play it, I am all smiles. People tend to LOVE it when I have it out.....

Outside, in natural light:

Inside in the house:

Again, MORE than gorgeous!!!
I think under stage lights, it will be appreciated! :D

Come now, surely you've seen pictures of my matching shoes for each guitar. Lets not be uncouth, my good man. :D

I was told that there was currently a 4 month back order on SEs. Both AMS and Zzounds has changed the expected date on the SE Semi Hollow Special Run Cu22. No reasons given. Original date 1-25, then 2-25 now 5-7. After this thread, I wonder if there are issues possibly related to quality. I hope PRS is sensitive to the reality that many people spend hard earned money and depend on the product delivering. That's even with the SE line.

Back