SE Custom Semi Hollow

charlie_gj

Hi guys,I recently got a new SE Custom Semi - Hollow, it's a great guitar and I like the factory setup, but as I kept playing it I noticed that the intonation is off. There's stings that are tuned while open and from the first fret on it's a little sharp / flat. I also noticed that the bridge is slightly misaligned compared to the pickup, I mean it is a little tilted to the left side.

Since it is a stoptail It isn't adjustable, except for the high a low E strings. So, Is this an issue of my particular guitar, or is it the bridge model or could the difference in pitch be considered normal ? Does the warranty cover it ?

Thanks,

Carlos.

welcome to the forum carlos! it should be adjustable, there should be two small screw slots located behind the "hook" of the bridge, which hooks the bridge to the bridge studs. the adjustment tool should come with your guitar in a goodie pack, or your shop dealer could have placed it in the gigbag pocket compartments. just remember to detune the strings before adjusting or the strings might snap! :cheers:

edit: do not attempt if you have no experience in guitar set-up, you can take it to a guitar tech and let him do the job ;)

My Semi-Hollow came from the factory in a box, and I had to set the neck relief myself. Intonation was, and still is, spot on.

I'm interested to know how you know the intonation is off from the first fret onwards; usually an intonation issue is not apparent to the ear until you start moving up the board. This points to a massive intonation issue (it's been adjusted poorly) or possibly even a fretting/technique issue (pressing too hard perhaps).

Hope this helps!

The bridge being or looking misaligned is right. As stated you can adjust the intonation using the two screws at the back. Work on getting the two 'E's right and then make any small tweaks if the inner 4 strings seem out.

Other things that may throw the intonation is a badly cut nut, fretting technique as mentioned or too high an action. You'll need to look at all these areas.

Other things that may throw the intonation is a badly cut nut, fretting technique as mentioned or too high an action. You'll need to look at all these areas.

This. My nut was badly cut (no pun intended) The intonation is wrong at a certain fret onwards. It could be your nut (again, no pun intended) could be cut badly too. You can always replace it with Tusq or bone nut.

Thanks guys ! I will consider everything mentioned . I also wanted to say, that guitar plays and feels incredible ! And I love the tone, not to mention it's looks. BUT one thing that prevents it from being the perfect guitar for me is the way that my right hand sits in it. I was an Ibanez player for a long time before getting the PRS and the absence of a tummy cut and a forearm cut is a NIGHTMARE. Is there any way that those cuts can be made in the existent guitar without completely screwing it up ? Do you think the PRS factory would want to do that to mine ??

Apart from the SE Semi Hollow, all other SEs come with tummy cuts. I believe the tummy cut and forearm cut cannot be done on the Semi Hollow because it's partially empty inside, and if you do attempt it, you may cut into the acoustic chambers of the guitar, and getting PTC to help you may cost a lot. The forearm cut is absent in the SE line except on the SE Tim Mahoney, SE Torero, the discontinued SE Standard and the pre-2012 SE Paul Allenders. Other SEs comes with the bevelled top, which was supposedly a substitute for the forearm cut, though it's just a subtle bevel, which is better than none. Personally, I think the body contours only matter if you're playing sitting down.

edit: I'd say you should get used to it, just take it as the same thing as playing an acoustic guitar. You don't have all the body contours on acoustics, right? ;)

Last edited:
Apart from the SE Semi Hollow, all other SEs come with tummy cuts. I believe the tummy cut and forearm cut cannot be done on the Semi Hollow because it's partially empty inside, and if you do attempt it, you may cut into the acoustic chambers of the guitar, and getting PTC to help you may cost a lot. The forearm cut is absent in the SE line except on the SE Tim Mahoney, SE Torero, the discontinued SE Standard and the pre-2012 SE Paul Allenders. Other SEs comes with the bevelled top, which was supposedly a substitute for the forearm cut, though it's just a subtle bevel, which is better than none. Personally, I think the body contours only matter if you're playing sitting down.

edit: I'd say you should get used to it, just take it as the same thing as playing an acoustic guitar. You don't have all the body contours on acoustics, right? ;)

thanks ! interesting info ... do you know if any other PRS models have forearm cuts ?

Apart from the SE Torero and SE Tim Mahoney, none in the 2013 catalogue has the arm contour. The SE Torero is Floyd Rose equipped, and has EMG pickups. The SE Tim Mahoney is a SE Standard 24, stoptail model that comes in only Baby Blue. I'd say if you're really after that forearm cut and don't mind buying used, you could look for the very old SE Santana with the longer bass side horn and the stroke inlays. There's also the SE Standard, but do keep in mind that they only come in satin finishes. If you're after P90 tones, you could try to hunt for a SE Soapbar II, they're basically the SE Custom 22 Stoptail with Soapbar pickups and the forearm cut. Then there's the pre-2012 SE Paul Allenders, which has EMG pickups. Other than these, I don't remember any other SEs with the forearm contour.

Apart from the SE Torero and SE Tim Mahoney, none in the 2013 catalogue has the arm contour. The SE Torero is Floyd Rose equipped, and has EMG pickups. The SE Tim Mahoney is a SE Standard 24, stoptail model that comes in only Baby Blue. I'd say if you're really after that forearm cut and don't mind buying used, you could look for the very old SE Santana with the longer bass side horn and the stroke inlays. There's also the SE Standard, but do keep in mind that they only come in satin finishes. If you're after P90 tones, you could try to hunt for a SE Soapbar II, they're basically the SE Custom 22 Stoptail with Soapbar pickups and the forearm cut. Then there's the pre-2012 SE Paul Allenders, which has EMG pickups. Other than these, I don't remember any other SEs with the forearm contour.

I'll look after the Mahoney model even though that color is awful. The SE standard seems like a winner to me ! But I can't find it anywhere .... Do you think if I get one of those new S2 Miras, the PRS guys can help me doing the contour? Who would I have to contact ?

Back