SE Custom 24 that drops the low E string pitch by 1/2 step when bending

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by CoreySECustom24, Apr 4, 2020.

1. CoreySECustom24

CoreySECustom24 New Member

I have a SE Custom 24 with 5 springs on the tremolo and the bridge is floating parallel with the top, but if I hit a low E and then bend up to an E on the second string 15th fret, the low E drops to an E-flat and make everything sound awful. I have locking tuners, Nut sauce in the nut, and playing on 10s. It returns to tune just fine after the bend. Is something set wrong, or is this normal? Never had issue like this on my Strat

2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules On Double Secret Probation

Every floating trem does this to some degree. Is your strat trem not floating?

Domingo Lantigua likes this.
  3. CoreySECustom24

CoreySECustom24 New Member

Yes my strat is floating and I’ve played floating trems for 25+ years but I’ve never had one dive so bad.

4. DreamTheaterRules

This all has to do with spring tension vs. string tension. It’s geology or some science way over my head. I was only saying that this happens on all floating trem guitars so you play accordingly. I’ve always just not let open strings ring while bending and realize that even not open strings will need attention accordingly unless you have no trem, or a non-floating trem.

Don’t mean to sound like a jerk, present status not withstanding, but you have to deal with it on every floating trem guitar. The difference in the degree to which you have to compensate is all based on scale length, string diameter.... basically anything that influences string tension. If I go for a bend on my Axis, Wolfgang, Mira, or any of my fixed bridge, or non floating trem guitars, I don’t worry about any other strings that I’m playing. But even on them, that bend is different based on string gauge, scale length, etc. And, If I go for a bend on ANY of the floating trem guitars, I know that they are ALL different, based on string gauge, scale length, springs, etc. etc. and play accordingly.

Honestly, it’s one of the things that makes playing multiple guitars more difficult. But it’s part of playing. IMHO.

5. DreamTheaterRules

P.s. (much shorter answer) and strats have higher string tension than most guitars, so yeah, exactly right. Less tension = more pitch variance from the other strings when bending...

6. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

If you use fewer springs, there will be more tension on each one, it will help the detuning a bit.

Try going down to 3 springs and adjusting the claw screws to match.

alantig and CoreySECustom24 like this.