se custom 24 neck rubbed back.

eveyprs

Hi all this is my first post. I have a new prs se custom 24 and i love it. my question is , has anyone rubbed the neck back on there prs to get a more natural feel? im toying with the idear of doing this? also has anyone put a dimarzio evolution in the bridge position? these are my fav bridge buckers.

regards
Dave

Hey there, Dave. I rubbed the back of the neck with a clean Scotch Bright sponge to get it to feel more like a satin finish. It is hardly noticeable when you look at it, but it feels much better when moving up and down the fretboard.

Done this with two grades of synthetic pads (e.g. scotchbrite). One to rough out, and the next to remove the coarse scratches left by the previous grit.

Pardon as the pics don't have the same exposure but the difference in sheen is there.

IMG_4249.jpg

Photo0181.jpg

I quite like (addicted to) the feel of a rubbed down neck, and all my guitars have 'em. But it's likely to affect resale value, so if you're not sure you want to keep the guitar, you might want to think it through a bit more.

I am curious as to what exactly you are using to do this. I understand you used a scotchbrite pad but which is being for the course and which for the fine. I ask because I have been thinking about something like this myself . I talked someone familiar with PRS and they suggested using steel wool.

Yeah 0000 steel wool would be good if you have it. I use those to clean my fretboard. I just prefer the pads for finish rubbing out duties. On my side of the globe, pads easily available to me are scotchbrite green and black, and this other brand Arix also has graded pads that come in (coarsest to finest) red, blue, and white. I may have used a green scotchbrite, if memory serves, then followed up with either blue or white Arix.

I like the satin finish. It feels fast when playing. I have the satin finish on my Fender Strat. My others are glossy finish. So I use polish on them to make them feel fast. I don't want to change or damage the finish on the neck or guitar. Just my opinion.

I did the neck on my SE One and ended up doing the whole guitar in the end as I'm not a fan of shiny poly finished guitars. I much prefer a 'beater' anyway of the week.

Back