SE Custom 24 mods

Yosua Wijaya

Hi guys,

I just bought my first electric guitar recently and I want to do some modification. My guitar is the 35th anniversary SE custom 24.

I have done my first mods; changing the standard tuning machines to the SE locking tuners and it looks great and improve the tuning stability.

After this I want to do more mods:

1. Change the nut (SE comes with the bronze powdered plastic nut) to the bone nut

2. Change the pickup rings to the paul's guitar because it looks like the core instrument

3. Change the tuner buttons to the phase 3 locking tuners bone faux button or S2 pearloid button.

I want to ask your opinion on my mods before I made the purchase so it won't go to waste. Please advise!

Best Regards,

Joshua

Seems reasonable :) just know that any time you modify something, there's a chance you might break or loosen something in the process. I started modding guitars in 2006 and I swear even the simplest things go awry sometimes. Might be my own skillset though haha. So these days I see every potential mod with its potential downside as well. Not a problem, just have a plan to fix that problem.

Nut change - could knock loose some wood or paint when removing. New nut glue could spread and look bad, or not hold very well. Replacement nut could be the wrong size.
Tuner buttons - could lose the little rubber o-ring, overtighten the screws.
Pickup rings - could lose a spring, pull wiring loose, will have to reset pickup height.

Again not a problem, just be prepared to fix anything that goes wrong. I say this as I stare at a Santana SE I'm planning some mods on, haha. Also when you have the strings off, its a good opportunity to clean and condition the fretboard, wipe down the bridge, etc.

Alex

I wouldn’t put a bone but on a trem equipped guitar, personally. I’d be worried that it’d make the tuning stability worse, and go for the more slippery Core nut change instead.

Can you even buy the SE Paul’s rings now? I haven’t checked, but... I do think they’re cool.

Also not sure if Phase III buttons fit the SE lockers, maybe someone else knows for sure.

But you didn’t mention lampshade knobs so I’d add those to the list.

Back