SE Custom 24 is making me a saaaaaad Panda.

MRHIGHSPEED

Politically Incorrect
I mentioned in this thread - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/11s-on-se-custom-24.30132/ - that I was having tuning issues with the strings going sharp, when I used the trem at all.

Well, I picked up one of those little sets of welding nozzle cleaners, and went to town, making sure the grooves on the nut matched what the 11s I'm playing needed. All of them slip into and out of their respective grooves easily, and the grooves have been given a dose of pencil lead.

It STILL won't stay in tune! Even with new, thoroughly stretched, strings. It's going out of tune when I bend, or if I use the trem. I love the look and feel of this guitar but, not staying in tune is not ok. Any thoughts?

You may consider trying something like Big Bend's Nut Sauce, GraphitALL, or Planet Wave's Lil' Luber on both the Nut Slots and where the strings contact the saddles. I have used all of those products with success (although my guitars also have locking tuners as well). I hope you find something that works for you - they are great guitars !

Let's troubleshoot a little. When you tune in the up direction, do you hear any "ting" sounds on any of the strings?

No. I don't.

You may consider trying something like Big Bend's Nut Sauce, GraphitALL, or Planet Wave's Lil' Luber on both the Nut Slots and where the strings contact the saddles. I have used all of those products with success (although my guitars also have locking tuners as well). I hope you find something that works for you - they are great guitars !

Thanks. I'll pick some nut sauce up and give it a try.

If you don't have locking tuners on it, are you doing string wraps to lock as PRS recommends?

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/restringing_your_guitar_how_to_lock_the_strings1

No, I have not been wrapping like this. Looks like another change of strings is in order. Thanks for that link!

All mentioned above will help. My opinion is that no trem is exactly perfect, just the nature of springs vs strings and other parts - but you can get it close. Check out the Parker Fly forums - there is a procedure on that forum for getting it in tune and its really stable on the Fly. I use the last part of the procedure on my Custom 22 PRS even though the trem is completely different.

Basically, work each string, do a quick trem dive, it will most likely go sharp, tune the string down, quick trem dive, re-tune. Keep doing this and do this for each string. Now, it should be more stable, but sometimes when you bend (especially the G), it will go a little flat - tap the trem bar down and it should jump into tune. Again, not a 100% "perfect" solution.

I know that this topic (tuning stability on SE's, or lack thereof) has been discussed on many threads here over the years. I would think that PRS would use this forum as an opportunity to take this feedback and try to address this.

The other common thread I see here is that most people are changing out the stock 9's. Why not just set them up at the factory with 10's - probably the most commonly used string gauge. If you want to switch to 9's, then no problem. This will also be consistent with the stock string gauge on most Cores.

@Shawn@PRS any chance you can get this feedback to management ? :)

Has this guitar ever been stable? Iv'e had guitars that were bought used that did not stay in tune very well so when I buy one I always check fulcrum screws to make sure they're not damaged and that they are level. If it's needed I'll replace springs too.

I use a lube on the nut slots and during string changes lube the fulcrum screws too.

I use my trem a lot and I get pretty aggressive with it which is why I go the extra mile on lube.

I love the look and feel of this guitar but, not staying in tune is not ok. Any thoughts?

Yes. Don’t be Mr. Fixit Yerself.

Call PRS, and have them look at it and set up properly. PRSes stay in tune when they’re set up right. If yours wasn’t done right at the factory, or if the store messed with it (happens), they will take care to make it right.

Has this guitar ever been stable? Iv'e had guitars that were bought used that did not stay in tune very well so when I buy one I always check fulcrum screws to make sure they're not damaged and that they are level. If it's needed I'll replace springs too.

I use a lube on the nut slots and during string changes lube the fulcrum screws too.

I use my trem a lot and I get pretty aggressive with it which is why I go the extra mile on lube.

No. It hasn't been stable, yet.

Well, I'm kind of a scientist, so looks like I'm doing this one piece at a time. First thing's first. I'm finding that my strings still have some stretch in them from changing them last week. Sooooo, I'm stretching the monkey poo out of them, until they're stable. Then, I'll check out how well it holds tune. Then, if that's still a problem, I'll try restringing it, with the strings wound to lock them in place, the way PRS recommends, and stretch the monkey poo out of those. If it's still no bueno, I'll be giving PRS a shout. This is really hampering my right to instant gratification.

I’ve been playing their trem guitars for a long time, have had a bunch, and the things stay in tune. Something’s gotta be off.
Les - we're talking specifically about trem-equipped SE models here. I'm pretty sure that most of us with trem-equipped U.S.-made PRS guitars don't having these tuning issues. Heck, I have a Japanese-made Strat that I can jump up and down on the trem, and it stays in tune. This is a constant issue with SE's.

Also, sending a guitar back to the PTC is not always an option. First of all, these tuning issues should be addressed by the design or production teams as a design and/or assembly issue, before they leave the factory. When PRS in MD does a final setup and check of the SE's, I doubt they check for tuning stability - they don't play a song and have to retune midway - the guitar is set up, it's intonated, it sounds good, and it goes back in the box.

And finally, not everyone can afford to ship their guitars back to PTC to have things looked at, adjusted, or fixed. It would be great if PRS could come up with a way to have "authorized PRS" service people around the country - i.e., guitar techs who have been through a PRS-certified program - to more easily service its customers. Imagine if you had to send your car back to the factory every time you needed something looked at. :eek:

If you press the strings down behind the nut and let off does the string stay sharp? If you bend a string does it stay flat? I’m guessing it’s friction in the nut still. When you’re grinding the nut you want to make sure you’re maintaining a break angle and not just filing flat so the string doesn’t have any extra friction. You want the string to make solid sharp contact on the bridge side of the nut and not so much on the headstock side. I use welding tip cleaners too and it’s easy to put a groove on the nut that is less than stellar. If it were me I’d just drop a tusq nut in it and go from there.

Back