SE Custom 24 in sapphire - My Black Friday score

You're going to dig that. Very beautiful and great feeling, playing, and sounding guitar.

Thanks. After a week of ownership, I dunno if I'm liking it or not. It's an awesome example, nonetheless. But I'm having issues with the wide thin neck as I'm so used to my Bernie and a strat which have chunky profiles and with my playing style it's quite a bit of an adjustment. I'll give it some more time, probably gonna get it professionally set up and move up to 10's. We'll see.

I hope the OP is still enjoying his CU24.

Thanks. After a week of ownership, I dunno if I'm liking it or not. It's an awesome example, nonetheless. But I'm having issues with the wide thin neck as I'm so used to my Bernie and a strat which have chunky profiles and with my playing style it's quite a bit of an adjustment. I'll give it some more time, probably gonna get it professionally set up and move up to 10's. We'll see.

I hope the OP is still enjoying his CU24.

I most certainly am! I dig the thin neck.

I scored the same deal at Sweetwater on the same model & color. I was very surprised at all the fret buzzing even though their techs did the set up. By chance did you have the same issue?

Nope. No fret buzzing here. Well, I have a little bit of buzzing. But that's because I tried to lower the action a little more.

I scored the same deal at Sweetwater on the same model & color. I was very surprised at all the fret buzzing even though their techs did the set up. By chance did you have the same issue?
If you are experiencing a lot of fret buzzing, it could be the strings are a lighter gauge than you are used to, and/or the action is lower than you are used to.

As an example: My new SE 7-string CU24 has buzzy strings, most especially the wound ones, but they are relatively flabby IMHO - the stock strings are "normal" .009s, and I typically play either hybrid .010s (light top, heavy bottom) or .011s. So my picking is "calibrated" to a heavier string.

Check the action, see if it is in accordance with what PRS specifies on their website:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

Maybe your Sweetwater tech gave you a very low action, at the expense of fret buzz. Or maybe they just didn't really take the time to set it up, did a quick check, and shipped it.

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of surprised that the tech from sweetwater thought the level of buzz was acceptable. It's my third guitar from them and the previous 2 were near perfect set ups. Good suggestion on the string gauge. I do normally use .10's and these are .09's I'll check the PRS specs &see if I can find a nice balance. Happy New Year!

I put 10's on mine right away as I didn't care for the 9's.... and it made a good excuse to install pickup covers.

Back