SE Custom 24 in sapphire - My Black Friday score

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Mr.Koozie, Dec 7, 2014.

1. bricel24

bricel24 New Member

Thanks. After a week of ownership, I dunno if I'm liking it or not. It's an awesome example, nonetheless. But I'm having issues with the wide thin neck as I'm so used to my Bernie and a strat which have chunky profiles and with my playing style it's quite a bit of an adjustment. I'll give it some more time, probably gonna get it professionally set up and move up to 10's. We'll see.

I hope the OP is still enjoying his CU24.

2. Mr.Koozie

Mr.Koozie New Member

I most certainly am! I dig the thin neck.

3. RebelPeasant

RebelPeasant New Member

I scored the same deal at Sweetwater on the same model & color. I was very surprised at all the fret buzzing even though their techs did the set up. By chance did you have the same issue?

4. Mr.Koozie

Mr.Koozie New Member

Nope. No fret buzzing here. Well, I have a little bit of buzzing. But that's because I tried to lower the action a little more.

5. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

If you are experiencing a lot of fret buzzing, it could be the strings are a lighter gauge than you are used to, and/or the action is lower than you are used to.

As an example: My new SE 7-string CU24 has buzzy strings, most especially the wound ones, but they are relatively flabby IMHO - the stock strings are "normal" .009s, and I typically play either hybrid .010s (light top, heavy bottom) or .011s. So my picking is "calibrated" to a heavier string.

Check the action, see if it is in accordance with what PRS specifies on their website:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html

Maybe your Sweetwater tech gave you a very low action, at the expense of fret buzz. Or maybe they just didn't really take the time to set it up, did a quick check, and shipped it.

6. RebelPeasant

RebelPeasant New Member

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of surprised that the tech from sweetwater thought the level of buzz was acceptable. It's my third guitar from them and the previous 2 were near perfect set ups. Good suggestion on the string gauge. I do normally use .10's and these are .09's I'll check the PRS specs &see if I can find a nice balance. Happy New Year!

7. Mr.Koozie

Mr.Koozie New Member

I put 10's on mine right away as I didn't care for the 9's.... and it made a good excuse to install pickup covers.

8. Coldvisions34

Coldvisions34 New Member

Beautiful, probably my favorite finish on an SE. Awesome axe, congrats!