SE Custom 24 7-string pickup color code

houseofclocks

Just got a set of these 7-string humbuckers in the mail. They were take-out's. Using them for my new build. They are 5-wire....they came with the white and green soldered together on both, leaving the red, black , and bare free. I am not going to coil-tap or phase. Just need to know if the black or red wire is the hot on these.

Last edited:
I've never seen a 5 wire SE pickup before so I don't know the codes. You could use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the wires. If anyone has a SE 7 string, they could post a clear picture of the inside of the control cavity and that would help too.

It's not surprising that SE humbucker color code's can't be found on the internet. I've looked....it's probably because so many SE owner's replace their pickup's with duncan/dimarzio/bareknuckles/etc......or they keep what they got and never mess with it. So I emailed customer service......and why do I hear the sound of cricket's chirping?

It's not surprising that SE humbucker color code's can't be found on the internet. I've looked....it's probably because so many SE owner's replace their pickup's with duncan/dimarzio/bareknuckles/etc......or they keep what they got and never mess with it. So I emailed customer service......and why do I hear the sound of cricket's chirping?
Most SE humbuckers have had only two wires, hot and ground. Yours is the first I've heard of four wire SE pickups. PRS customer service should know, but then, that stuff is all done in Korea.

Just got a set of these 7-string humbuckers in the mail. They were take-out's. Using them for my new build. They are 5-wire....they came with the white and green soldered together on both, leaving the red, black , and bare free. I am not going to coil-tap or phase. Just need to know if the black or red wire is the hot on these.

My guess would be that the red lead is the hot and the black and bare leads go to ground. (The bare lead *ALWAYS* goes to ground.)

Forgot last night - had to rush home for a work thing for my wife and got focused on that. I'll try to do it before I go to bed tonight.

And then I'll get that picture.

Okay, I posted them. I left them big so you'd be able to see, and I tried to get at everything, so hopefully these will show you what you need.

Here's a sample:

se7wiring01.jpg

The pics are in this format:

http://tignanelli.com/images/instruments/prs/se7/wiring/se7wiring01.jpg

They go from 01 (the one above) to 07.

Hope they're useful!

Thank you Alan!....the pic's (all 7 of 'em) did help me answer the question's I had. Thank someone else's god that my wiring job will be much easier on the eyes and the brain. I'm just using a 3-way toggle switch and ONE volume pot hardwired to the output jack. Yes the control cavity is THAT small ( I like to have room to work, and SEE). Since the green and white wires on each pickup are already soldered together, part of the work is done for me already. No need for coil splitting or a tone pot in my world :)

Thank's Again for the help folks.....installed the pickup's with no trouble at all.....these Korean-made (G&B?) 7-string pickup's sound really nice in basswood too. The HFS bridge pickup is very powerful and has a good tone for metal. The neck pickup I'll be using for some clean stuff and any soloing that need's a fat full bodied sound......

According to a call from my tech earlier today, the SE 7 pickups have the same wiring color code as Dimarzios.

Except this turns out to be totally wrong, much to the consternation of both my tech and myself. (The worst part is that my tech got this misinformation from PRS -- PRS not knowing the wire color code for the stock pickups in a guitar that bears their name kind of makes my head hurt...)

From Alantig's pics above, Red is hot, black is ground, and then it's just a matter of figuring out which coils white and green go to - that should be easy to figure out for any tech with an ohmmeter or multi meter.

Back