SE Custom 24-08 pickup swap...

TheWeez

So after struggling with the decision to either wait many months for an S2 Custom 24-08, I picked up an SE Custom 24-08 and some 59/09 pickups, thinking I'd swap them in. What I'm finding is the stock pickups have an extra green wire the 59/09's don't have and I have no idea what to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So after struggling with the decision to either wait many months for an S2 Custom 24-08, I picked up an SE Custom 24-08 and some 59/09 pickups, thinking I'd swap them in. What I'm finding is the stock pickups have an extra green wire the 59/09's don't have and I have no idea what to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know how SE pickups are colour coded, but I can do the layout with 59/09 for you.

It will not be the same as 24/08 because 59/09 pickups have joined wires for splits (two outs for series connection are hooked to one wire). The coil will be shorted to ground and not isolated per the 24/08 layout. The audible difference should be next to nothing, though.

It will take me a few days as I'm working throughout new year's days

While that is a very generous offer, I don't want you spending a bunch of time on this, as I think I'm going to return the 59/09's and get something compatible out of the box. I really like the 24-08 setup and want to keep that functionality as is. I keep hearing such great reviews of the 59/09's so I'm kind of bummed. Being an SE, my plan was to upgrade pickups and the nut, and basically Frankenstein it to my liking. As many "expensive" guitars as I own, I find myself using the PRS 90% of the time. I have an SE Floyd Rose and checked the pickups to find the white and green wires are soldered together on the pp pot to tap both pickups with one switch. Now I'm wondering if I could put the 59/09's in that guitar and just solder the white wires to the same spot as the green and white now to get the same effect? Might keep these pickups after all if that works.

I definitely appreciate the sentiment, and any advice you might have regarding pickup selection for the 24-08. Been playing for over 30 years, but never really got too involved in the electronics side of things so any tips would be appreciated.

Im a nerd mate, don't worry too much about it.

Shorting an unused coil to ground and isolating (switching off) the coil won't make any difference. In both scenarios, the coil is inactive, not generating any signal. The reviews you read on 59/09 are accurate; it's an exceptional pickup. I would still give it a chance.

OK, you've convinced me. I won't return them, as I REALLY want to hear them in this 24-08. At this point, you've convinced me to keep them even if I can't make them work in this guitar. I have several guitars these will drop right into so they won't go to waste.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

OK, you've convinced me. I won't return them, as I REALLY want to hear them in this 24-08. At this point, you've convinced me to keep them even if I can't make them work in this guitar. I have several guitars these will drop right into so they won't go to waste.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm sure you will love them. They are unique tone-wise and construction-wise. I have the 59/09 neck in one of mine, and it is going nowhere

To directly answer the OP: yes core pickups are compatible with 24-08 wiring. SE pickups have 4 conductors because they have the in/out of each coil exposed while core pickups have the series link connected internally. This would be a quick and dirty way to get 59/09s wired up.

To directly answer the OP: yes core pickups are compatible with 24-08 wiring. SE pickups have 4 conductors because they have the in/out of each coil exposed while core pickups have the series link connected internally. This would be a quick and dirty way to get 59/09s wired up.

This is probably right, but I still will do my layout with the small value capacitors (or resistors for partial split - they are wired the same way). Any clue why the 820k resistor is wired between the hot and ground? It reduced the pot value to around 310k

This is probably right, but I still will do my layout with the small value capacitors (or resistors for partial split - they are wired the same way). Any clue why the 820k resistor is wired between the hot and ground? It reduced the pot value to around 310k
I believe that's a treble bleed. Agreed there are better ways to do the splits, but I didn't want to complicate the situation if this is OP's first soldering job.

I believe that's a treble bleed. Agreed there are better ways to do the splits, but I didn't want to complicate the situation if this is OP's first soldering job.
Treble bleed is the small value cap accross viper and lug 1. The resistor is technically between lug one and lug three, so parallel to the potentiometer. 500k pot value and 820k parrel resistance will give close to 310k total potentiometer resistance. Its reducing the pot value. I may ask the customer support...

Following your diagram, I was able to get the 59/09's in there, and everything works just like it did with the original pickups. Comparing this to another SE Custom, there is a clear difference in sound, most notably with clean tones. Playing through a Fender Deluxe, the cleans are simply amazing. Crystal clear, even at loud volume.

I cannot thank you and Simon Says enough. Your knowledge of PRS (and probably all guitars), is truly appreciated. I haven't done much soldering since my military days. I realized I shake too much, but other than that, did a pretty good job.

Thanks again for the assist!

KxXVFLfl5cQEoi9gx_VR0Y9z9ghwlKZxUpylVfej4NhZ0jynT3Cm7QeUu8bu6NjM-zWck-bdrDWboDNnA_07vtUG2s63iBXiqvdvqluKoE5WgkO43tl9JMELXY7qVuAIbJfxmyjbmQn4xGlZOje-Hpak3FYTG4Ti6i_1ePq4R8HqXoHm_pGgo8QWnlUQ4HHnzc8YpSSXyqihw8TQl3P2fTzciFnUH_Nzxq02fqXFOaPoPpC8rrISIh2dYfiI1hV7u5roX3mP5hn_EqYcncWMoTnzFqA4W8QomJfby0mRgyG5sM4Zp8FlxXBDhKl9DBDWVoBY1_-42TS-iw-VgXOAgPLwLYwlEjAHRvRizbPfUWXIfZwpRx4sJDrMBw0hJ3F9Dlp_-tUqMipQ6V8rKRGri8VYQX7ovtxQeYSVI3Cza4-wE6ZCQDEMC_ypD3hNZ1kxWF6WblETIY4GR9RKrZDI7N2H35XeqELIiN6hJoTfbxFyPo2gX8DFuB90qKINGAbPqHnXG1oNPt_WMYZLliXAyKBiGkzXAY2XiWCbHBFwHjGYUjQdnEzOxzxENCCmsey1nzp1s70O__WwyPJSSvf83O4B7iaBb_anZl25AsK_RTz5XbCzO3j7a36sNXGOuaYY_WpkhRa_cX7fqRe108vUomyIlcRI03ykFBASVmF9tzcsBVeDCMRP_RnhW-VqYi9PDww4VGpq-WXwELRRCmJic67joMA7qlo_h3EH9nQqJUxKDnuIfwRa9zfZvQdrfYyn4uTLkjuY4lO_Xfil0H7lbTrUoveRtrham8HPKd9J7j0hwCgUaCk2l61UmRZ8wJ1lAhEKY3H9Q2vEcynUdgH4kRWndnap0HcxX_kL4-IyPh_PDAdhw5u5tdVL5QAppbWWV7rjUp_7x_GdYpuSHTedxIzltyxk505sMsADSJjiickiMuq-fuF1cRae6IsYe2ILiewt0tJZoh5CwEpHMjKJg-rIogXWQSJLMKNKaMc2osRdbHHQI5sHiA=w670-h893-no

Last edited:
Following your diagram, I got the 59/09's in there, and everything works just like it did with the original pickups. Comparing this to another SE Custom, there is a clear difference in sound, most notably with clean tones. Playing through a Fender Deluxe, the cleans are simply amazing. Crystal clear, even at loud volume.

I cannot thank you and Simon Says enough. Your knowledge of PRS (and probably all guitars) is truly appreciated. I haven't done much soldering since my military days. I realized I shake too much, but other than that, did a pretty good job.

Thanks again for the assist!

Let me still do the layout the way I wanted to do it. It will have some elements that may make your guitar sound even better. I'm off tomorrow, and I will have plenty of time to nerd around.

Last edited:
I found a moment, have a look here (post #152)

Wow, what an awesome writeup. It's nice to know there are options other than on/off. The changes described actually look fairly simple to accomplish. Being that this is an SE, my original goal was to tinker with it until it plays and sounds like I want it to. I'm going to implement these mods and will report back. I'm curious now as to how things will sound before and after so will record some samples of each and hopefully have some interesting findings in a couple days.

Your assistance is beyond appreciated. Thank you so much!

Wow, what an awesome writeup. It's nice to know there are options other than on/off. The changes described actually look fairly simple to accomplish. Being that this is an SE, my original goal was to tinker with it until it plays and sounds like I want it to. I'm going to implement these mods and will report back. I'm curious now as to how things will sound before and after so will record some samples of each and hopefully have some interesting findings in a couple days.

Your assistance is beyond appreciated. Thank you so much!

Excellent, have fun :)

I love my SE Custom 24-08 fit and finish and playability. But the pickups have been a little underwhelming. Not a high gain mostly blues blues/rock. By themselves they are OK it's the combination even with all the switching. They seem to be like the 2 - 3 postitions on a Strat that out of phase quacky sound. It's good at that but I prefer that on a strat and on my hummers I like a fuller tone.

You can hear it here in this comparison video after a swap

So how do you like the swap out compared to the original TCI-S pickups after about a year?

Last edited:
Back