SE Custom 22 Solid body not on PRS product page

another 22 fret guitar bites the dust I guess. I knew the S2 CU 22 was discontinued. Maybe the SE at the same time. I just now noticed. But the semi-hollow is still there...

Maybe the sales of 24 fret models exceeded 22 fret models? Just a guess on my part. All my guitars have 22.

Considering that ALL PRS 'Core' guitars apart from the Custom 24 and Santana are 22 fret models, most with dual Humbuckers, you could argue that the role of the Custom 22 was already being covered elsewhere and, having to try and catch up with orders after being shutdown due to pandemics, it made sense to reduce their models and the Cu24 was the most superfluous model in the line up.

You have the McCarty, McCarty 594, 594 SC, 594 HB, Hollowbody II, Paul's Guitar, 509, DGT, Mark Tremonti, Studio (although has a NFF neck not double HB's) and the Special Semi-Hollow too. The Special is a 'Semi-Hollow' Custom 22-08 with an added NF to add more versatility - but its an 'evolved' Custom 22 and perhaps the 'replacement' in the current line-up.

Anyway, point is there are numerous 22fret Core options in the current model line-up that can fill that 'role' a Custom 22 used to fill. Not to say that PRS won't bring it back in the future - if demand and circumstance dictates, and there are used and some brand new options in stores too if you must have a Custom 22 over any of the other 22 fret PRS models. In a year that PRS had such a 'backlog' of orders to fulfill, it perhaps made sense to drop the regular Custom 22 for a year (or more) as there is still plenty of options on the market, but also means that additional orders aren't coming in that stops them making inroads into that 'backlog' of orders as they won't 'speed' up their production and compromise on their 'quality' and QC controls just to get more guitars out the door...

Maybe the sales of 24 fret models exceeded 22 fret models? Just a guess on my part. All my guitars have 22.
That's likely the case. That is all I want, a 22 fret SE with a maple cap/veneer on top and something other than a wide-fat neck. Micro switches wold be a real plus, not in the product mix. The company has quite enough SE 24 fret and/or wide-fat neck profiles. I think the only thing they have is a SE CU22 semi-hollow. One guitar, one finish. That seems to be it.

That's likely the case. That is all I want, a 22 fret SE with a maple cap/veneer on top and something other than a wide-fat neck. Micro switches wold be a real plus, not in the product mix. The company has quite enough SE 24 fret and/or wide-fat neck profiles. I think the only thing they have is a SE CU22 semi-hollow. One guitar, one finish. That seems to be it.
I was watching a lot of video's of the SE Custom 22 semi hollow body. Was seriously considering it but I've talked myself out of it. I have guitars that I barely touch anymore so why add another? What I really need to do is to get some new pickups for some of the others. I have an Epiphone SG Pro that plays so good, but I was never crazy about the pickups, especially the neck pickup. If I found the right set (of which I'm close to deciding on) I know I'd be playing that one a lot. Same with my LP. And my Strat. And my Tele. And my other LP.

Custom 24 is their most popular core model in their line-up and its the Guitar that is the most 'PRS' guitar as it was the model they launched with. 22fret models didn't come along until they made the first Dragon and the Custom 22 was born from that. The 594 has been very popular in recent years so maybe their biggest selling core model now, but it was the Custom 24 and like I said, all their other models (apart from the Santana) is a 22 fret so 'compete' with the Custom 22 and all the other 22fret Humbucker based guitars...

I was watching a lot of video's of the SE Custom 22 semi hollow body. Was seriously considering it but I've talked myself out of it. I have guitars that I barely touch anymore so why add another? What I really need to do is to get some new pickups for some of the others. I have an Epiphone SG Pro that plays so good, but I was never crazy about the pickups, especially the neck pickup. If I found the right set (of which I'm close to deciding on) I know I'd be playing that one a lot. Same with my LP. And my Strat. And my Tele. And my other LP.
Sergio sold me an SE Custom 22 semihollow. I bought it even though it wasn’t blue. After Hipshot tuners, a core 1 piece bridge, locking Schroeder studs, a rotary and VB/USA Mira pickup swap. It’s the band backup guitar. Very nice, and I won’t cry if it gets a nick.

The newer SE’s wide fat neck is a fair amount slimmer than my core 93 CU22… it’s actually quite comfortable on my Santana SE…..I think no binding helps bring that smaller feel…

Considering that ALL PRS 'Core' guitars apart from the Custom 24 and Santana are 22 fret models, most with dual Humbuckers, you could argue that the role of the Custom 22 was already being covered elsewhere and, having to try and catch up with orders after being shutdown due to pandemics, it made sense to reduce their models and the Cu24 was the most superfluous model in the line up.

You have the McCarty, McCarty 594, 594 SC, 594 HB, Hollowbody II, Paul's Guitar, 509, DGT, Mark Tremonti, Studio (although has a NFF neck not double HB's) and the Special Semi-Hollow too. The Special is a 'Semi-Hollow' Custom 22-08 with an added NF to add more versatility - but its an 'evolved' Custom 22 and perhaps the 'replacement' in the current line-up.

Anyway, point is there are numerous 22fret Core options in the current model line-up that can fill that 'role' a Custom 22 used to fill. Not to say that PRS won't bring it back in the future - if demand and circumstance dictates, and there are used and some brand new options in stores too if you must have a Custom 22 over any of the other 22 fret PRS models. In a year that PRS had such a 'backlog' of orders to fulfill, it perhaps made sense to drop the regular Custom 22 for a year (or more) as there is still plenty of options on the market, but also means that additional orders aren't coming in that stops them making inroads into that 'backlog' of orders as they won't 'speed' up their production and compromise on their 'quality' and QC controls just to get more guitars out the door...
I appreciate your reply, but I'm just looking at an SE. Thanks.

I appreciate your reply, but I'm just looking at an SE. Thanks.
The point stands there too - there are a LOT of '22' fret models in their line-up - and they do offer it in 'semi-hollow', but as for 22 fret guitars, you have Signature models (Zach Myers, Tremonti and Silver Sky) as well as the Hollowbody range, Pauls guitar, Mira, Starla, 245 and of course the semi-hollow Cu22 too - compared to Cu24 range, Santana and Holcombe for all their 24 fret models.

With the reasons I gave for maybe why the 'Core' range is no longer offering the Custom 22, and so many 22 fret SE models to 'choose' from, you can maybe understand why the SE Custom 22 was removed as well. Its no longer part of their 'core' line or SE line but kept the more 'unique' semi-hollow variant which perhaps sells more for that very reason...

What I'd like is an SE, with p90s, and body/neck binding, with a trem. and that weighs around 7lb... I don't mind how many frets it'd have !!

Take a look at the S2 Standard 22. Not as pretty as an SE, but it is a definite upgrade. The Pattern Regular is such a nice neck carve as well. I prefer it over all PRS neck carves. I just returned another Core model I bought recenly that had the wide thin carve. I preferred the bevel and neck care on my S2’s. Most prefer the core models, so there’s that to consider as well. Used they can be had at great prices as well.

The SE models are fine guitars. I also own an SE 245 that gets as much play.

I've since decided to pass on the SE CU 22 Semi-hollow as well. My guitars are an American Standard Strat (1990's) and Epiphone Cornet (1960's).

Last edited:
Take a look at the S2 Standard 22. Not as pretty as an SE, but it is a definite upgrade. The Pattern Regular is such a nice neck carve as well. I prefer it over all PRS neck carves. I just returned another Core model I bought recenly that had the wide thin carve. I preferred the bevel and neck care on my S2’s. Most prefer the core models, so there’s that to consider as well. Used they can be had at great prices as well.

The SE models are fine guitars. I also own an SE 245 that gets as much play.

Considered the S-2 Standard 22, but looking for that maple cap. Thanks!

Back