SE CU24 replacement parts: Nut and tuners

Cris_mas

Amateur Extraordinaire
Hello everyone!
i'm back with this recurrent questions, but with specific topics:
-Is the black tusq (graphite supposedly) good enough?
-Are Gotoh locking tuners good and does them fit? i'm looking for the SG381 Magnum lock Traditional (with the thumb wheel on the back). I've read you usually pick the grover ones but i find them to be fugly (sorry!)

Maybe i'll trade my SE SC for a SE CU24 and i'm looking in advance to improve the tremolo stabilty to leave it with fine specs ( Suhr SSV on neck and Duncan Pegasus on bridge) so i would like to know what you think about this items or if you suggest others better/different considering a limited budget.

-Are Gotoh locking tuners good and does them fit? i'm looking for the SG381 Magnum lock Traditional (with the thumb wheel on the back). I've read you usually pick the grover ones but i find them to be fugly (sorry!)

I use the Grovers and then just swap their kidney-shaped keys for the ones that came with the guitar. Easily done.

thanks guys, i tried a graphtech one and still is breaking my balls (tunning improved, but stability is still an issue) so i'm planning to go with a USA prs nut, but considering that this is an SE 2006 CU 22 which size should i buy? Wide/thin or regular?

My big questions are who installed the nut and what gauge strings are you using. It's one of the few mechanical mods I won't do, because it has to be done right.

My big questions are who installed the nut and what gauge strings are you using. It's one of the few mechanical mods I won't do, because it has to be done right.
Well, the job was done by a Luthier but i suspect the job wasn't well done. The nut fell apart when i realized the strings were put in a wrong way in a locking tuner (too many turns) i had to buy a graphtech with the "Gibson" shape so besides my optimism is not actually working. I've read that the Prs nut is not needing much work ( or doesn't need it) being almost a drop in replacement. I Will comeback to my trusty Luthier and if i can't import the Prs i Will do a bone nut with graphite dust.

Last edited:
Back