SE C22 Semi v Vela

vashondan

Planning my next GAS attack and trying to decide between these two. I have two Strats and a SE 24 30th Anniversary that I love. Want something a little different which, in part, why these two stand out for me. I'm working on blues mostly but plan to venture into other genre's at some point. What do you think?

I think the Vela compliments your current collection (mahogany, hardtail). I suspect is a blues machine, but haven't got to try one myself yet.

Last edited:
Have not tried a Vela, but I had my son's new SE Custom 22 Semi- Hollow for a few months before Christmas.
I would put playability wise right next to my 408.
It really played great, and the finish was one of the best that I have seen on an SE.

Vela or S2 singlecut semihollow

Playing wise, what's the difference between a single vs. doublecut?

Have not tried a Vela, but I had my son's new SE Custom 22 Semi- Hollow for a few months before Christmas.
I would put playability wise right next to my 408.
It really played great, and the finish was one of the best that I have seen on an SE.

How much difference playability and tone wise is there between say an SE24 and the SE22 semi?

How much difference playability and tone wise is there between say an SE24 and the SE22 semi?
I also have a 2012 SE Custom 24.
My son's wins hands down for tone and playability.
I hope all SE Custom 22 Semi's play like my sons, if not he got a magical one indeed.
Like mentioned in other threads too, his 22 is the best SE I have had the pleasure of playing, and I own quite a few.

I think the Vela is pretty interesting...not sure how close the bridge pickup they're using in it now is to the original Core Starla, but that one sounds pretty unique to me out of the PRS pickups I've heard. The neck pickup is also different and it sounds good to me.

If I didn't have a Starla, I'd probably pick up a Vela...and maybe I will someday anyway. ;)

The best advice I can give though is to try them both if you can, or at least listen to as many samples of each as you can find to see which you think you'll like best. I think either one would be a good choice. :)

Love my S2 CU22 Semi, that being said, I vote Vela as well. The S2 Semi is a superb guitar, but I wouldn't call it a blues machine. It will do those sweet, semi-hollow neck pickup tones, but it doesn't have much spank and thump down low for a hot Texas type blues tone. I use my Satin 22 for that, very different sonic character. Almost has a telecaster like thing going on, very tight thumpy lows.

The Vela is still my #1 vote though super cool guitar.

As the proud owner of a Vela, I can say with all honesty that it is one of the most unique, yet versatile guitars on the market. Imagine if a Tele, an SG, and a PRS got together, and put all the best qualities of each into the instrument! It has the PRS killer integrity of design, the power of an SG's mahogany humbucker mix, and the Tele's unique bridge and neck tones. The bridge intonates perfectly, the tuners keep it in tune in all positions, and the guitar is can cover almost all the tonal bases any gigging players, or studio players bases...and it looks awesome to boot! It's an ultra light weight guitar, with incredible playability. I also have a Studio, and a 408, as I require versatile instruments for live gigs, and studio work. By all means, try one out, and I think you'll be amazed at the all the ground it'll cover. That's my 2 cents! Good luck on your tone quest!

I think the Vela is pretty interesting...not sure how close the bridge pickup they're using in it now is to the original Core Starla, but that one sounds pretty unique to me out of the PRS pickups I've heard. The neck pickup is also different and it sounds good to me.

If I didn't have a Starla, I'd probably pick up a Vela...and maybe I will someday anyway. ;)

The answer to your question is "not very" but it still has its own thing going which is alright, and to me it's the most interesting of all the S2 pickups. Have owned a Vela, multiple Starlas (still have all of those) and had an S2 Starla for a while, I think the S2 Starla pickup actually works better on the Vela than on the Starla, but there's no doubt that's because my tastes gravitate towards the Core Starla sound and the pickup is most of that equation (with the scale length having an effect as well).

Basically, aside from that one shared pickup between the S2 Vela & Starla, they are very different guitars and it's definitely worth having both if you're so inclined, and to answer the OP, definitely the Vela. It's IMO the best instrument in the S2 lineup because of it's originality.

S2 semi-hollow trem all day, The Vela is for busters,, yeah, I said it.

Busters?

Whole lot of Vela going on here. I have to say that I want them both and over time will likely get both but alas can only do one at a time. Probably start with the Vela for it's uniqueness. Can always sell and get the Semi. I will have to go and try them out but wanted some feedback from ya'll before I did. Thanks!

I think the neck pickup on the Vela will do very well for bluesy stuff. The bridge might be a bit "in yer face" but you can roll the tone & volume back a bit to help.

Back