SE C 24 Switching mod options

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Jon van derlim, May 27, 2015.

1. Jon van derlim

Jon van derlim New Member

Daer all.

Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place but hopefully some of you can help me.

I want to upgrade the pots and 3-way switch in my SE C24 as they are getting a little tired and noisy so thought of some mod options.

One of which would be the following, but I don't know if its achievable and can't find a wiring diagram that suggests it is.

Replace 3 way for 5 way for the following.

Pos 1 neck coil split
    Pos 2 neck full h/bucker
    Pos 3 both h/buckers with coil split for both on tone pot push pull.
    Pos 4 bridge full h/bucker
    Pos 5 bridge coil split

for me this is the best option as I don't like the push pull very much and this way minimizes the amount of reliance I have on it with out drilling the body for additional mini toggles.

Hope you can help, thanks in advance.

Jon

2. ADP

ADP New Member

It is possible, but the coil split would also work in positions 2 and 4. Would you be using a PRS 5-way or something more standard like a Fender super switch? They are slightly different, (and the Fender switch is a lot cheaper).

3. Jon van derlim

4. ADP

ADP New Member

If you want a combination of humbuckers and single coils, you need the second one. It's more or less the same as the switch used on USA PRS guitars just with more poles. Would you be doing the work yourself? The wiring isn't all that complicated (although adding a push-pull makes it a bit more complicated than it might be), but if you're not sure, it might be best to have someone do it for you. I'll put together a schematic, but it might not be for a day or two.

5. Jon van derlim

Hi Yes I would be doing the work myself, my back ground is electrical engineering so I am looking forward to getting back on the tools as such, my lack of knowledge is in how to configure the wiring as apposed to actually putting it together.

Wow, if you are able to put a schematic together that would be great. :) many thanks.

Regarding the type of wire to use is there any real benefit in using "vintage style" or would a good quality screened wire suffice?