SE Bernie Marsden

$369 for a BM SE.. that is theft mate

good job

I love my guitar.... the only other thing that I love as much is my Strat with V/N Pups... but the Bernie kills that for sustain and playability IMHO

I was going to do that with the original pups but decided I wanted a different voice for the bridge pup at least. If I ever get another one (And what's wrong with a pair of Bernie's?) then I'll keep the original 245 pups and throw some nickel covers on. I don't think it's too hard as there's plenty vids on the subject on Y'tube and i'm sure there's some folks here that have done it. It isn't a case of just putting them on top though as you'll discover. You'll need a 50mm cover for the neck and a 52mm cover for the bridge. The 52mm can be hard to source but I think Gibson do them for some reason. Hopefully, someone can confirm that and some of the other finer details. Totally do-able though.

Did you coil tap the Mules? I'm thinking of having them installed with that mod. Reckon it would then be pretty close to the 53/10 limited edition.

Did you coil tap the Mules? I'm thinking of having them installed with that mod. Reckon it would then be pretty close to the 53/10 limited edition.

I haven't yet. I got the 4 conductor pups with a view to different wiring mods but I'm liking it just straight up. I've got the Strat for the single coil tones but I wouldn't mind some out of phase sounds at some point.

Quick query about the wiring as mine seems a bit strange....with the pickup selector in the middle position, completely turning down either volume control totally mutes the guitar. If, for example, I lower the bridge volume control, it initially gives the neck pickup a bit more bite, but lowering it all the way totally cuts the sound. I would expect lowering one volume completely to just leave the other pickup functional when in the middle position. Is mine wired correctly? Thanks.

That's exactly the way it works when you have a two-volume guitar. All DGTs are the same.

IMG_1108_zps2eb72883.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Here's my modded Bernie ! It has Bare Knuckle Mules for that vintage tone ! It's my favorite PRS at the moment ,just ahead of my S2 Mira !
IMG_1116_zpsf1acbe4f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I got the new Berne Marsden about a week ago, for some reason I liked the black better so I went with that. It is quickly becoming my go to axe. I play in an alternative country band that is leaning more towards rock and roll so it is starting to come in real handy. The fit and finish are excellent, the guitar feels real solid. I love the beefy neck. Most reviewers are right about the neck pup being great but the bridge one being just so-so. I'll be looking to replace the nut with a Tusq one, if I can find exactly which one I'm supposed to get. I also want to replace the bride and mounting studs, again I need to find exactly which one would be a direct replacement. I was thinking a Seth Lover 55 or a Pearly Gates for the bridge pickup, which is two conductor, right? I'm still looking around to find the exact specs for the parts of this guitar. All in all, it is a great axe, especially for the money. I've tried several times to post pictures of the guitar in this reply, but I am unable to find an attach photo icon and my profile says I am unable to post attachments?

Last edited:
Hi out there,
i just came across the prs forum and am very glad to find a lot of "Bernie-Marsden-SE"-Fans out there!
I think it´s one of the best guitars you can get in the mid price range, and with the Bernie there´s even no need to spend more. You get a full, fat, warm sounding wonderful looking beauty with tons of nice tone!
I bought mine in june 2012 and made very little changes on it. The b-string always turned sharp or flat after a while so I contacted the prs europe customer service. These guys were really kind and sent me two new original prs usa black nuts. After changing the nut there where no further problems. Anyway I put some Schaller vintage locking tuners on it. I like the sound of the 245´stock PU´s although I sometimes think they could be a bit hotter; but they´re really sweet and creamy (and for more dirt I like to use my trusty MXR GT-OD).
Mine was very comfortably to play right out of the box. In some posts I read about "super low" action without buzz or "very low settigs". I´ve measured mine and would be glad if someone in the "World-Wide-Bernie-SE-Family" would like to share his or hers settings with me. On my Bernie the relief is about 0,2 mm (8th fret), the action 1,35mm on the high e´and 1,5mm on the low E.

Hope, I will manage to upload some pictures:

With lots of greetings to the "BernieSE-Family" out there
Micha

Hi Micha (And Doug F!), welcome to the forum and the Bernie Club!

The Marsden is a great guitar isn't it?!

made a few changes to mine the past couple of years including Bare Knuckle Mule pups (Replaced the bridge with a Suhr Doug Aldrich). Tusq nut. New pots and cap. New Knobs. Still messing with the bridge... have locking studs but I'm not convinced by them as there's still some lean in the bridge so I may just get some washers and use them with the stock studs. May replace the tuners one day but they work just fine.

Love mine!

Can't remember the set up of mine off the top of my head... I think it's pretty darn close to PRS's factory specs so I'll try and find them later.

To post your pics you'll need to upload them to a photo sharing site such as Photobucket or Flickr and then post the links into those IMG tags. Love to see your Bernie!

7770877940_4c1af0c578_h.jpg

8954973654_0977c0e9b9_h.jpg

8954995598_da3a690b0f_h.jpg

8954915696_d16cee0593_h.jpg

7717468224_5b95fc660d_h.jpg

Gotta love the Bernie. I'm not sure if there's a better guitar for the price on the market... at least at what I paid for mine ($450 new).

a6b9f4e6-4a41-4306-a7d4-87e1782d9758_zps2f25734d.jpg

Hi Mike,
thank you very much for the nice and warm welcome in the Bernie-Forum!
I´ve struggled around with trying to get the photos posted, so that my Bernie can wave / shake hands with yours and the other ones, but ist does´nt seem to work.
So far I´ve tried Onedrive and picasa as sharing site, but all I get is a strange icon, showig a broken datasheet or an embedded link that leads to nowhere...

photos

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=DA2BEFA7DA0692C3&resid=DA2BEFA7DA0692C3%211034&authkey=AGyPjtWdGuS92AE" width="240" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Maybe these links to Onedrive could do:

http://1drv.ms/1kVxiM0
http://1drv.ms/1ifyK7I

By the way, I just realized, that it was you to put me on the trace, that the Bernie Marsden SE might be the guitar I was looking for when I was on the "Quest For Tone" in 2012.... It was by your demo and review on youtube that I first heard of this beautiful guitar! So thank you again!

P.S. Very nice pictures of your Bernie!

Quick query about the wiring as mine seems a bit strange....with the pickup selector in the middle position, completely turning down either volume control totally mutes the guitar. If, for example, I lower the bridge volume control, it initially gives the neck pickup a bit more bite, but lowering it all the way totally cuts the sound. I would expect lowering one volume completely to just leave the other pickup functional when in the middle position. Is mine wired correctly? Thanks.

I thought that too when I got my Stripped 58…similar controls and I thought the wiring had a problem so now I just leave everything on max to begin with. Turn it down if needs be as opposed to turn it up. If I want to turn it one then just flip the switch to that humbucker in order to mute the other one.

That's a feature I've used for a long time on my LPs as you can get a very cool horn like sound by having the bridge pickup on full and the neck pickup off and then rolling the neck pickup volume from 0 to 2. This turns the bridge pickup on and off .

I haven't played with it fully and I am at work right now but It seems if they are both at zero, toggle at middle position, hit the strings and then turn the volume up, nothing happens?

Hi Mike,

I´ve struggled around with trying to get the photos posted, so that my Bernie can wave / shake hands with yours and the other ones, but ist does´nt seem to work.
So far I´ve tried Onedrive and picasa as sharing site, but all I get is a strange icon, showig a broken datasheet or an embedded link that leads to nowhere...

photos
Welcome to the Bernie club! I had problems with photos as well. I joined Photobucket, but I couldn't get the photos to link using my work computer, but was able to on a different computer that wasn't connected to our network.

Hey Micha... Great looking Bernie!!! It's got a really bold flame on it... Seriously cool top!

Flickr is a good one... I just select the size I want and right click on it and select properties and highlight then copy and paste the address (URL) which should end in '.jpg'.

I think there is a w way to embed photos from Onedrive... Think there's a button that comes up called Embed and you need to choose 'generate' to create the link... It's been a while since I used it.

No worries... I can see your Bernie and it's a good one! ;)

Last edited:
I haven't played with it fully and I am at work right now but It seems if they are both at zero, toggle at middle position, hit the strings and then turn the volume up, nothing happens?

That's normal, if either of the volumes are at zero it cuts off both volumes.

Cool, because it's a long way to send it back for me!

I want to go home now to play!

Back