SE Bernie Marsden

I'm going to do a JFK........................................ wait until the Russians actually bomb until I respond to changing the NUT,

IE..................... enjoy the thing until I eff it up !

The strings on my Bernie appear to be stocky 9-42s which I usually use anyway... I assume most of the blues type players use 10s or heavier, yes ???

Yep. That's the exact same one I put on my Bernie. It was a perfect fit for width and the slots were dead on for 10-46 strings. All you have to do is sand down the bottom to get the height correct. Take a little at a time and keep checking it.

Pic of said nut on my Bernie with refinished headstock:
031_zpsf0e4fcd7.jpg

Your's looks spot on.

Dogsbrekky, installing the nut is very easy.

When sanding it down keep checking as Pete says. Keep some strings on the guitar to use a as a measurement guide. You want to be able to press down at the 3rd fret and have a tiny amount (About the guage of a high e string) of clearence between the string and first fret.

I just sanded down and placed the nut on the guitar and popped the strings in the slot and tuned up to guage the height (Along with some feeler guages). Just repeat this process until you're happy.

Okay, according to Guitarist mag (And matches both my and my techs knowledge) the nuts of the Bernie and 245 are:

Bernie - 43.7mm

SE 245 - 43.3mm

Just to throw a spanner in the works...

In their recent review of the Limited Edition Bernie, Guitarist measured the nut width at 43.3. A half mill narrower than the stock one!!!

I'm pretty sure the plain white and black nuts are a little oversized (They ALL are height wise) on the width so I doubt you'll have issues with it fitting. Still not sure what went on with my Tusq XL one though. Here's what mine looked like when fitted:

8471062869_219a55e652_b.jpg

Notice the slight gap. Although it's clear i'm being very picky given it's less than the width of the high E string!!! :) This is why Graphtech slightly oversize their nuts. Strange mine wasn't. Hope I haven't confused you with all this but it's a couple of things to bare in mind.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAPH-TECH-...809?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d096c2bb1

That is the nut that I just bought for my Bernie. I haven't installed it yet but I have measured it and it will fit.

I ordered the nut the same time I ordered the guitar because I had heard and read that the nut may need work/replaced.

The nut on my Marsden really isn't too bad....not as bad as some I've read about...the slots are a little deeper than I prefer. I'm going to play it for a couple weeks and then I'll probably install the new nut.

I also ordered some nickel covers for the pickups but they won't arrive until next Monday.

Covered pups look great. What size did you order?

Each to their own but 9's are a bit to light for a guitar with a 24.5 scale length. 10's on the Bernie will give better balance IMHO.

I actually like 9s on my Santana SE which is 24.5 scale length too. My Epi Les Paul custom has 13s so I'm really surprised I like them.

I actually like 9s on my Santana SE which is 24.5 scale length too. My Epi Les Paul custom has 13s so I'm really surprised I like them.

Wow, quite a difference!

Funny how it works out though. I have 10's on my Strat (D'Addarios) and on my Bernie (D'Addarios) and despite the scale lenght difference they feel about the same.

Yeah definitely a big difference, but the 13s are for DAFCGC tuning and the Santana is in standard. Sometimes I tend to overbend the strings though because its so effortless compared to the 13s.

Wow, quite a difference!

Funny how it works out though. I have 10's on my Strat (D'Addarios) and on my Bernie (D'Addarios) and despite the scale lenght difference they feel about the same.

Yeah, I actually have pro-steel 8s on my Strat as I just started playing again and it feels great for practice.............. sustain not so good though, but I think 10s will be better on the Bernie beast but once again will wait a month or so.......... also upgrading the Pups on my Strat to an Area 58 Dimarzio (Neck) and Noiseless Vintage Strat Pup (middle)......... will keep my PRS SE 245s on the Bernie for a year or so as I especially love the neck "bulky BASSY sound"...................

Will mess with the PRS NUT in a few weeks...

Thanks again fore the advice Mike... have been watching your MANY youtooooob videos on Blues playing... most wonderful mate

I like the Zebra look AND alas, I dropped Bernie on my little Vox headphone amp..

Bernie = zero damage

Vox amp = Hiroshima

all good because I ordered a Fender Frontman 25G, eff the apartment neighbours, he hehhhheeeeeeeee

I just picked up a Bernie after watching Bernie's and Mike Garvey's You Tube videos and it is everything it was cracked up to be. I was initially drawn by the reports of the chunky bound neck, but was really sold by the great tones...and the great looks!

I've had Gibsons and Fenders and a host of clones, but I don't think that I've ever had a guitar that just melted into my hands like the Bernie. Mine is absolutely perfect...right out of the box. I'll probably end up tinkering with the nut because I like 10s, but I like the pups and won't be changing those out anytime soon.

Well done, PRS!

I just picked up a Bernie after watching Bernie's and Mike Garvey's You Tube videos and it is everything it was cracked up to be. I was initially drawn by the reports of the chunky bound neck, but was really sold by the great tones...and the great looks!

I've had Gibsons and Fenders and a host of clones, but I don't think that I've ever had a guitar that just melted into my hands like the Bernie. Mine is absolutely perfect...right out of the box. I'll probably end up tinkering with the nut because I like 10s, but I like the pups and won't be changing those out anytime soon.

Well done, PRS!

Hey Guitageezer, welcome to the forum and congrats on the Bernie!

It's interesting... I embedded a couple of my Bernie vids onto a thread on here recently. One was completely stock and the other was with the upgraded pups. It was the first time in a while i'd heard them together and I have to say the stock pups sounded great. I always loved the neck but was less keen on the bridge - and I wanted covered pups - which was why I swapped them out. But I have to be honest and say the stock SE245 pups do sound great. I don't regret the change as I like the sound of the pups I have now.

If I know there's never going to be a US Bernie then I would actually buy another and keep it stock and send the other off to be re-finished in a different colour. Just such a great guitar that I have no issues with owning two.

What solo it for me was the neck. it looks and sounds great, but the neck is - for me at least - perfection!

Post some pics!!! :)

So I have to get some pics up...I need to get pics of my Bernie with the 53/10's and the new to me (thanks serg!) Tone Pros bridge! Tonight I think....

Hi All,

New guy here, and fairly new player. I recently purchased a Bernie Marsden, and love it! (I got a smokin' deal at GC, but would have been happy to pay full price!) I actually returned a Les Paul Studio Deluxe 2, which was beautiful, but I didn't feel it was worth the money as I just couldn't get the action where it needed to be for me. I had a highly recommended tech set it up for me, and he agreed that it just wasn't going to happen. I tried about six other LP's, and only two of them felt right to me, and they were twice as much, and five times as much. Very disappointing as I have lusted after one for years.

Then a guy at a shop recommended PRS, and said that the quality was absolutely top notch, and pretty much said that Gibson was hit or miss anymore. I did a little research, and watched a lot of videos (Mike Garvey-Awesome stuff on you tube! I can only hope to be half that good some day!), and decided that the Marsden was for me. Anyway, I will try not to ask too many dumb questions, and maybe contribute something worthwhile occasionally!

Welcome! And the Bernie SE is a top notch freaking guitar. I had one and sold it and I completely and totally regret it.

Hi All,

New guy here, and fairly new player. I recently purchased a Bernie Marsden, and love it! (I got a smokin' deal at GC, but would have been happy to pay full price!) I actually returned a Les Paul Studio Deluxe 2, which was beautiful, but I didn't feel it was worth the money as I just couldn't get the action where it needed to be for me. I had a highly recommended tech set it up for me, and he agreed that it just wasn't going to happen. I tried about six other LP's, and only two of them felt right to me, and they were twice as much, and five times as much. Very disappointing as I have lusted after one for years.

Then a guy at a shop recommended PRS, and said that the quality was absolutely top notch, and pretty much said that Gibson was hit or miss anymore. I did a little research, and watched a lot of videos (Mike Garvey-Awesome stuff on you tube! I can only hope to be half that good some day!), and decided that the Marsden was for me. Anyway, I will try not to ask too many dumb questions, and maybe contribute something worthwhile occasionally!

Back