SE Bernie Marsden

swede71

Tja ba!Läget?
Im a big fan of Bernie Marsden and his signature guitar looks and sounds fantastic from i see at youtube.Any owners here and your thought about this guitar?

It's a fantastic guitar Swede!!!

I'm not going to name any other brands as that's unfair but...

I tried quite a few other guitars from other manufacturers between £500 and £800 and whilst there was some very good ones, none of them matched the build quality of the Bernie.

Out the box the setup was to specs. Feels wonderful to play, sounds great, looks great!

Downsides...

I wish PRS would upgrade the nuts on the SE's. I've said this quite a few times, but... They build these great guitars and then put those cheap nuts on them, It doesn't make any sense. A good nut is vital to good tone, playability, tuning stability, etc. So why compromise that with the hollow things they use on the SE's.

That is the only place where the SE's have issues IMHO. The SE's are - of course - a mid priced instrument so corners have to be cut somewhere. Apart from the nut the corners are cut in the electrics. The stock pickups in the Bernie (And other models such as the Santana and 245) are the SE 245 pickups.

These pickups are actually very, very good. I loved the neck pup in the Bernie but I felt the bridge pup didn't quite match it. Still a good pickup though.

Tone is such a subjective thing though, so my views on the sound are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Tuners and one pieve bridge work very well. No issues there at all (Since having a new Tusq nut fitted).

Overall, A very, very good guitar for the money. Just factor in the cost of having a new nut fitted and you've got a LOT of guitar for the money!!!
-------------------------------------------
PRS guys, if you're reading this ... Please start using better quality (And better cut) nuts on the SE's!!!

Thanks for the info Mike!Brilliant demo on youtube.Great playing!I have to say one of the best sounding PRSs ive heard on youtube.I also love the vid with Bernie from Nevada musicUK.I will definitely check it out.Does it comes with the "peter green" out of phase sound Bernie talks about?

Sorry for the late reply to this Swede...

It doesn't have the out of phase. I saw a couple of posts on other forums a while back where people where saying they loved the out of phase sound in the middle. Left me scratching my head... So, after a couple of messages on Y'tube about that I decided to email Bernie. Bernie's prototype is wired up for the phase reversal via a push pull switch if I remember correctly, but it is just his guitar. Not sure how they did it as the SE 245 pups aren't four conducter wiring.

You'd have to get some one to re-wire the pups or get replacement pups with 4 conducter to do that particular mod. I ordered my BKP Mules with 4 conducter with an eye to doing the phase thing but i'm just wired stock for now.

I just got hold of some CTS pots and Tonepros locking studs so i'm going to wire all that in tonight and then i'm just about done with the mods to this guitar.

If i'm going to be honest... The only 'must do' mod is the nut IMHO. The pups - particularly the neck pup - are great. The bridge pup wasn't quite what I was after which is what prompted me to change to BKP's, but... If the bridge pup was as good as the neck then they'd have stayed in the guitar! So good infact.. I'm going to get a guitar just to put them in!

Are the body dimensions and specs identical between the Bernie and the SE245? I was under the impression they were. Aside from the neck binding, controls layout and tuners, I thought they were virtually identical. Is that correct?

Just noticed that the Bernie is considered one of the six best signature guitars of 2012 by Guitarist mag along side some tough competition such as the EVH sig, Johnny Marr & Kurt Cobain sig by...err... other manufacturers.

Not bad for a humble SE which -as far as I know - was initially only going to be released in limited numbers! :)

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/six-of-the-best-2012-signature-guitars-559229/3#!3

Mike, I back ordered the Bernie Marsden and lucked out, my nut is much better than some of those I tried at Guitar C etc and the set up straight from the box is ideal.. perfect intonation, I even like these standard Pups, just raised my bridge a smidgen and lowered the neck Pup and alikazzaammmmmmmmmmmmm I have got my own "Mini-beast" for $649..... thanks for your stuff on youtube and that of the Zombie (also out of the UK)..

PRS quality is IMHO the best of any of the manufacturers and I own Fender products and have looked at many Gibson, Schecter, Jackson products etc..

My PRS SE Bernie Marsden is a little Korean Rolls Royce... GREAT QUALITY

MY Bernie has a HUGE ASS neck at the base, much heftier than the 245s I tried at GC in NYC a few weeks ago. and the body of my BM is THICKER.... also the tones out of the 245 Pups on the Bernie model seem a bit meatier (make sense) probably due to the extra thick body................... will see if I can put exact specs down

Last edited:
Hey bud, glad you like it and welcome!

Had mine for over a year now and I love it to bits! I've since added an SE C24 (2012) to the stable and (Apart from some bad luck with the nut again) it's an absolute gem! The quality is top notch and doe put other manufacturers to shame it has to be said.

I always thought the body was the same thickness but I never measured. There was a noticable difference in neck size between the Bernie (Based in part off his '59 LP) and the 245 despite them both being described as 'wide fat'. The neck heel's a monster but I really like it. I don't have big hands but it doesn't cause any issues at the dusty end. :)

I think Guitarist mag mentioned the same thing when they reviewed it. Can't remember the exact quote but it was something about the Bernie sounding more classic or something. Tiny differences but they do make a difference.

If you ever get a chance to pop the neck pup take a look at the quality of the joint. Long tennon and perfectly executed!

I've said this before but if they did different colours i'd get another but this time probably keep the stock pups, but maybe throw some nickel covers on.

Pics!!!

PICS

Hey bud, glad you like it and welcome!

Had mine for over a year now and I love it to bits! I've since added an SE C24 (2012) to the stable and (Apart from some bad luck with the nut again) it's an absolute gem! The quality is top notch and doe put other manufacturers to shame it has to be said.

I always thought the body was the same thickness but I never measured. There was a noticable difference in neck size between the Bernie (Based in part off his '59 LP) and the 245 despite them both being described as 'wide fat'. The neck heel's a monster but I really like it. I don't have big hands but it doesn't cause any issues at the dusty end. :)

I think Guitarist mag mentioned the same thing when they reviewed it. Can't remember the exact quote but it was something about the Bernie sounding more classic or something. Tiny differences but they do make a difference.

If you ever get a chance to pop the neck pup take a look at the quality of the joint. Long tennon and perfectly executed!

I've said this before but if they did different colours i'd get another but this time probably keep the stock pups, but maybe throw some nickel covers on.

Pics!!!

Yeah, when I find my digi camera will take some, my cell phone camera sucks rotten egg gas

NUT

It's a fantastic guitar Swede!!!

I wish PRS would upgrade the nuts on the SE's. I've said this quite a few times, but... They build these great guitars and then put those cheap nuts on them, It doesn't make any sense. A good nut is vital to good tone, playability, tuning stability, etc. So why compromise that with the hollow things they use on the SE's.

-------------------------------------------
PRS guys, if you're reading this ... Please start using better quality (And better cut) nuts on the SE's!!!

Is this the NUT to get ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAPH-TECH-...809?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d096c2bb1

:star: :prslogo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAPH-TECH-...809?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d096c2bb1

That is the nut that I just bought for my Bernie. I haven't installed it yet but I have measured it and it will fit.

I ordered the nut the same time I ordered the guitar because I had heard and read that the nut may need work/replaced.

The nut on my Marsden really isn't too bad....not as bad as some I've read about...the slots are a little deeper than I prefer. I'm going to play it for a couple weeks and then I'll probably install the new nut.

I also ordered some nickel covers for the pickups but they won't arrive until next Monday.

yeah mate, my nut is okay (well the nut on the Bernie, not necessarily my NUT), actually quite good, but for $7 and a little time I think it may be better to get the best, plus I am a tinkerer

c3f1wd

c3f29a

c3f2gm

c3f2v5

c3f33e

c3f3eo

c3f4a9

c3f4a9

c3f4rr

A few pics of my little "BEAST"

:7string:

That's the correct nut - or as close as you can get without using an oversized blank. I had a local tech fit mine and it was cut from a blank.

Here's the thing though.. I ordered this nut for my C24:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAPH-TEC...586?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a7e1a4f2a

which is the Black Tusk XL version of that nut. Same dimensions.

With that nut I had a hair line gap at the back and sides and the slots weren't quite at the right angle. Minor details that wouldn't affect anything but it's been enough for me to pull it and i'll be having my tech fit one from a blank next week.

The nuts are supposed to be oversized in height and width so you can get a perfect fit but mine wasn't (Except for the height).

Haven't read an experience similar to mine so either I was a little unlucky or i'm being very anal about a hairline gap!

As ever... Measure carefully to make 100% sure it all fits.

My measurements of my Bernie compared to the 245 and other 'wide-fat' guitars is that the Bernie is a touch wider. Just fractions of an inch or millimeter, but it's there. Guitarist mag also carries slightly different measurements for the Bernie and 245 in their review.

Infact... I'll dig it out to check....

Back