SE Alex Lifeson opinions

NBW

I have been thinking about getting an acoustic for about a month. I have played a few of the kind of well though of budget thin lines, the Ibanez Talman and the Yamaha APX600, they were ok nothing to write home about from a playabilty standpoint. I also played an 2015 Angleus SE30, which I liked a lot.

It seems like the SE LIfeson would be a good instrument to check out. Anyone have an experience?

I have been thinking about getting an acoustic for about a month. I have played a few of the kind of well though of budget thin lines, the Ibanez Talman and the Yamaha APX600, they were ok nothing to write home about from a playabilty standpoint. I also played an 2015 Angleus SE30, which I liked a lot.

It seems like the SE LIfeson would be a good instrument to check out. Anyone have an experience?

The SE Lifeson is somewhat of a rarity...nor sure anyone owns one...my experience is with the SE A60E (ziricote back/sides). Beautiful guitar, sounds phenomenal, somewhat more balanced, richer, fuller. You may find the A50E may suit your tastes more (maple back/sides). My choice was a used SE A60E from Dave's on Reverb (great price, not a blemish on the guitar).

I have a Lifeson. The neck on the SE Lifeson is very playable. The Lifeson is thinner and I think the body may be a tad smaller. It has less bass response than the bigger, thicker bodied acoustics. Very clear, well-balanced, but not boomy like a dread would be. I tend to go for it when I'm looking for acoustic coloration but not necessarily looking for the acoustic to carry the song and provide a robust bass sound.

I have a Lifeson. The neck on the SE Lifeson is very playable. The Lifeson is thinner and I think the body may be a tad smaller. It has less bass response than the bigger, thicker bodied acoustics. Very clear, well-balanced, but not boomy like a dread would be. I tend to go for it when I'm looking for acoustic coloration but not necessarily looking for the acoustic to carry the song and provide a robust bass sound.
I'd agree with Alan's take on this. I felt the same way about mine. Plus.....ALEX LIFESON!

Well I'm probably going to end up getting it. There wasn't a pickup in it when I looked at it. They're putting one in, which is probably not as good as the original (it's an i-beam) and adjust it a bit as it doesn't play as well as the 30 series Angelus they have. I'm not super picky about acoustic sound as much as I am with playability.

I have an Alex Lifeson, and it’s the only flattop I have or want. It has excellent playability, and I had it tweaked by my luthier, who liked it. By the way, he built his own flattop. The AL15 has both a thinner and smaller body than many acoustics. I run DR zebra’s 11-56 on it and find it to be well balanced with an acceptable piezoelectric sound. I like it a lot. The fretwork is good, and it’ll do whatever I need. I’m an archtop guy, so I’m neither as demanding, nor as discerning when it comes to flattop guitars. Just don’t get me started on archtops..........

Have one and love it. Smaller body is more comfortable and the neck almost feels like an electric guitar neck. Very playable. Not super loud on its own. If it broke, I’d cry and then start the search for a new one immediately.

Back