SE 7 String...tell me about it

It depends on where you look. I bet it's still full sapphire blue under the pup rings.

UV lamps don't generate much heat, do they? I'm tempted to get a cheap sapphire blue -- or amethyst? -- and deliberately expose it to UV rays with a sticker of a shape in the way. (A cat, in my case -- something simple, like:
cat-silhouette-free-vector_23-2147493572.jpg
)

Last edited:
Got the story on this -- they left it in the shop window too long, and the UV rays from the sun leached the sapphire blue to green. They gave me a discount, so I bought it, contingent on the tech checking out the neck and making sure it's okay. So now I'm back up to 4 with the second and fourth still incoming. I prefer this to a full seafoam green, because it still has some blue in it, and I like colours that start arguments (of the inconsequential, "no that's green-blue"/"no that's blue-green" variety). Not sure what to call it -- "sapphire green"? ;)

The other one from the same seller was the same guitar accidentally listed twice.

Think I'll have two setup with alternate bridge/neck pickups -- one Benedetto/JB, the other JB/Benedetto.

Now tell me about this "USA spec" thingy -- how much of an improvement was that?

USA specs isn't a necessity but it does help me with my OCD haha. With a new wiring harness, switches, and pots you just get more reliability. The pots and the 5 way switch were a big upgrade since I think the 2 and 4 position on the BK Juggernauts further increase its versatility, especially on cleans and edge of breakup leads and stuff. IMO rolling off the volume on a standard spec SE guitar really darkens and muddies up the tone. The new pots certainly rectify that. The frets getting dressed and leveled just makes setting up fast low action with the bigger strings easier and without any buzz. For me its a must bc of the tone I go for and the wide variety of stuff I play. I can definitely tell a difference between the factory bridge and the Hipshot. Hipshot is much more snappier and helps add to the attack. I put the Hipshot Griplock locking tuners on it bc they are awesome and I have to be able to swap string out fast live. The only other things they did was install a new properly cut nut. SE nuts are traditionally garbage and bind anything over a .10 and is the #1 cause of tuning instability in those guitars. For those trying at home holes have to be drilled to install the Hipshot bridge and tuners. Not a big deal, just have to pay attention and be careful.

Thanks for all of that information. Sounds like the only thing you have left original is the wood! :) I started swapping pickups, I need to work my way up to wholesale carnage, I think my best next bet is the electronics, as I use the volume knob on my guitars a lot​, and I have gotten used to a 5-way.

Sapphire green came in, and it's exactly as green as the pictures make it out to be. No idea if the neck is warped or not, but it plays fine. I'm a happy boy.

Back