SE 7 String...tell me about it

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by IRG, Aug 5, 2015.

1. 0defects13

0defects13 New Member

Also if you want a locking trem and aren't buying a PRS the k7 is a steal used (the Japan ones, again).

2. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

I wonder what the stock pickups might sound like if they were covered? Covers are said [SUP][by who?][/SUP] to slightly mellow out pickups [SUP][citation needed][/SUP] . Anyone done that to their SE-7? (Are there even aftermarket pup covers for 7-string pups?)

EDIT: there does not appear to be any aftermarket pickup covers for 7-string pickups. :(

#22 shinksma, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

I have not. I suppose I could borrow one of the covers of one of the several pickups I bought, but I didn't buy any covered pickups.

And: there aren't any aftermarket pup covers? That's weird...

4. shinksma

No aftermarket for 7-string pups. Lots for regular 6-stringers. And the manufacturers of 7-string pickups that offer them as covered will not sell the covers separately, you have to buy the whole pickup (which are very nice, from what I gather).

While I'd like to experiment with the look, pickup up $300+ worth of pickups isn't high on my list of priorities...

5. themike

themike New Member

While I do not think the stock SE-7 pickups are worth the modifications and that an aftermarket pickup (even used) will give you FARRRRR better results, here are some aftermarket covers. You may need to verify the pole spacing.

6. shinksma

Cool, thanks themike!

But your right, I'd probably rather just upgrade the whole pickup set. Although really I should just play the darned guitar more.

7. Coldvisions34

Coldvisions34 New Member

One of the best purchases I have made in the last few years. Ive got a Skervesen Raptor 7 as well and 9 times out of 10 i'll reach for the PRS just bc of the feel... Don't hesitate, JUST DO IT!

[​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. Raven17

Raven17 Raven Lunatic

Great guitar, even better pickups

9. Dusty Chalk

I forget which pickups look like they have octopi on them -- which pickup are those? I have to admit, between those and the black rings, looks great!

10. Coldvisions34

Coldvisions34 New Member

Hey thanks guys. It's had a lot of work done. The PTC team did the headstock refinish and replaced the wiring harness and pots to USA spec. I put a Hipshot bridge, Hipshot Griplock locking tuners on it, the black hardware, and the pickups are Bare Knuckle Juggernauts.

11. Raven17

Raven17 Raven Lunatic

Nice choices all around. I'd buy that, I've toyed with getting a 7-string SE but will wait till they have a core model. Until then I've made due with my Mayones Regious Pro and a few Ibanez Prestige models. But I'm a PRS fan for and will gladly pick up made an hour or so away from me here in Maryland.

I bet that joker sounds massive!

12. Coldvisions34

Coldvisions34 New Member

Yeah it's just got so much more clarity than my Skervesen. I run both through a Pro Tone Dead Horse OD Deluxe and the Skervy is just a little bit muffled and its finicky to EQ out. The PRS is fat and clear when fretting big ole maj/min 9 chords across all 7 strings, great cleans, and cutting leads. Just an all around beast for hardrock/prog/metal/ambient/jazz stuff. A lot of it has to do with the BK Juggs being legit. The Skerv has BK Aftermaths which I don't think is as good a pickup in a 7 string guitar. They can get rather ice picky and harsh on the higher strings. I've adjusted the pickup height and haven't had much luck. Will probably swap out for something else. The set I have in one of my PRS Baritones sounds sweet tho.

13. shinksma

The "octopus" is Misha Mansoor's "Bulb" icon, stylized a bit.

And that has pushed me over the edge - now I think I will put these Juggernauts on my "must buy eventually" list - I like Periphery's stuff, so these would certainly get me closer to the sound that is in my head.

Interesting that the PTC team took an SE and made it look like a core guitar. I guess with core electronics and all the other changes, the only thing "SE" about it is the wood...

14. Dusty Chalk

That's some nice work by the PTC, didn't even catch it all on first glimpse. Dusty like.

Dusty don't know why Dusty all of a sudden speak in 3rd person, sounds dumb. Hey, Dusty resemble that!

15. Dusty Chalk

On the downside, he hasn't shipped it yet. Contacted seller, awaiting response.

16. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

You let us know if we need to form an angry mob!

[​IMG]

17. Dusty Chalk

He refunded my money, claiming they couldn't get it again (of course they can't, they were supposed to have it in stock; also a little disturbed that they waited until I contacted them [9 days later] to say anything). Don't think I'll be dealing with them again.

18. Dusty Chalk

Got the story on this -- they left it in the shop window too long, and the UV rays from the sun leached the sapphire blue to green. They gave me a discount, so I bought it, contingent on the tech checking out the neck and making sure it's okay. So now I'm back up to 4 with the second and fourth still incoming. I prefer this to a full seafoam green, because it still has some blue in it, and I like colours that start arguments (of the inconsequential, "no that's green-blue"/"no that's blue-green" variety). Not sure what to call it -- "sapphire green"? ;)

The other one from the same seller was the same guitar accidentally listed twice.

Think I'll have two setup with alternate bridge/neck pickups -- one Benedetto/JB, the other JB/Benedetto.

Now tell me about this "USA spec" thingy -- how much of an improvement was that?

#38 Dusty Chalk, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  19. solacematt

solacematt New Member

That's actually really cool

20. shinksma

Ya know, I bet that violates the terms of use for Reverb - offering something for sale you don't actually have. You might want to send the Reverb admins/whatever a note mentioning this issue, they might take some action to ensure the seller doesn't do it again.

Glad you got the other SE-7 though. That color sure is unique! And it is green-blue. ;)

Actually, more like a light teal.