SE 594!!!!!!!

Agreed. I would rather have a used S2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Really? I like my SE Soapbar 2 Maple with Lollar mini humbuckers much better than my S2 Vela. Looks better, sounds better plays equally well. I like the shape and arm relief on the Soapy better than the angular carve of the Vela. That's just me, though.

Really? I like my SE Soapbar 2 Maple with Lollar mini humbuckers much better than my S2 Vela. Looks better, sounds better plays equally well. I like the shape and arm relief on the Soapy better than the angular carve of the Vela. That's just me, though.
Yes I would. I had a chance to A/B multiple S2 and SE 594, there is a noticeable difference in look, feel, and tone. To me a PRS typically plays Ike a PRS throughout the lines.. I'm also in the Vela fan club and have a lot to say positive about my satin semi hollow Vela, even up against my cores. Vela has to be one of the most comfortable to play guitars I've ever owned.

. I'm also in the Vela fan club and have a lot to say positive about my satin semi hollow Vela, even up against my cores. Vela has to be one of the most comfortable to play guitars I've ever owned.
No argument there. For myself, though, the Excellent Lollar mini's and the maple cap, even though veneer, trump the "made in USA " and even the locking tuners factors. I could do a coil split like the Vela has but don't think I'll bother.

Agreed. I would rather have a used S2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Same here. That's what I chose over Christmas for only a few hundred more than the SE 594. But they don't come up often. The thinlines with the pattern thin neck sound really tempting too.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-15-at-10-19-03-PM.png

Same here. That's what I chose over Christmas for only a few hundred more than the SE 594. But they don't come up often. The thinlines with the pattern thin neck sound really tempting too.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-15-at-10-19-03-PM.png
Gorgeous! You made a wise choice..

That's the thing, I'm totally cool with a used guitar. With a little patience I've seen some great deals in the used market for an S2, and as you pointed really isn't much differnet than list price for a new SE 594. A thinline is very tempting to me as well.. if I ever convince myself to sell my SG a thinline will be mine.

No argument there. For myself, though, the Excellent Lollar mini's and the maple cap, even though veneer, trump the "made in USA " and even the locking tuners factors. I could do a coil split like the Vela has but don't think I'll bother.

Sure, personally I'd rather not have a veneer too, but not a deal breaker. SE use a wood maple cap with a thin real wood veneer.

I'm a fan of SE and S2, especially for models that aren't available core. I've had plenty of SE come through here and there's one, I'd probably never part with and another probably the same. Most we're great guitars and they did exactly what I think PRS hopes, pushed me to pick up the core version. Like a gateway drug!

An SG Special with mini humbuckers is what convinced me to put the Lollar mini's in a PRS Soapbar! When I realized that I could swap the mini's into a Soapbar 2, I started a search for one. I didn't care for the original pickups in the 2018 SG Special so I bought the Lollar mini's. They sounded great, and I did appreciate the neck and the fretwork of the SG but owning a Paul's SE already, and then discovering the old discontinued Soapbar 2's I quickly realized that I would be happier with the Lollars in a PRS than in the SG. So now the SG is for sale and I'm the happy owner of the Soapbar 2 with my Lollar mini's. Looks great, sounds great and costs about half of the Gibson SG, not counting the pickups, of course.

Then again I hear that a mini humbucker fits right into the Vela's pickguard. Some have done this mod already.
First, don’t let anyone rain on your SE parade. We all know how good they are.

I do wonder why you’d replace the neck pickup on a Vela though, as that is part of the magic for those who love them, and replacing that with a humbucker takes away the unique tone of the Vela, and makes it just another humbucker guitar.

I’m all for mods, and of course, do what you want. It’s your guitar. If you don’t like P90s or the Vela neck pickups, mod away.

First, don’t let anyone rain on your SE parade. We all know how good they are.

I do wonder why you’d replace the neck pickup on a Vela though, as that is part of the magic for those who love them, and replacing that with a humbucker takes away the unique tone of the Vela, and makes it just another humbucker guitar.

I’m all for mods, and of course, do what you want. It’s your guitar. If you don’t like P90s or the Vela neck pickups, mod away.
Not planning on replacing pickups on my Vela. Just noticed that a lot of people have, and the mini humbuckers are a popular choice. Apparently some people just love the type D pickups and others not so much. My Vela is up for sale presently. I'm enjoying my Paul's SE and the Soapy with the mini's.

Not planning on replacing pickups on my Vela. Just noticed that a lot of people have, and the mini humbuckers are a popular choice. Apparently some people just love the type D pickups and others not so much. My Vela is up for sale presently. I'm enjoying my Paul's SE and the Soapy with the mini's.
I know what you're saying. I have yet to play a Vela through a "known" amp, so that I could truly access it's tonal range, but that said, for me the D pickup would probably be THE reason I bought one if I did. But I get that if I really did fall in love with the guitar, but NOT the D pickups, I'd have no problem dropping something else in there.

Glad you're digging your other PRS guitars.

Just saw a video about the SE 594!!!! I love my cores but now I can buy some SE’s and mod them and play them live without worry!!! I’m so excited. Who’s with me???

Here's a more detailed review and at about the 12 minute mark he even explains how the "coil split" works.

It's different than what you might think. Different than I thought anyway.

The PRS coil split sounds great. Best I've heard.

It's a partial split.

Instead of turning one coil of the humbucker completely off, and leaving the other coil on as it is normally done, a resistor is used to leave part of the "off" coil still in the circuit.

Results in a "single coil sound" that has a stronger output and a fuller tone.

Last edited:
I am blown away by the beautiful maple tops on these guitars. I guess flamed maple is not as exclusive as I thought it was.

Here's a more detailed review and at about the 12 minute mark he even explains how the "coil split" works.

It's different than what you might think. Different than I thought anyway.

The PRS coil split sounds great. Best I've heard.

It's a partial split.

Instead of turning one coil of the humbucker completely off, and leaving the other coil on as it is normally done, a resistor is used to leave part of the "off" coil still in the circuit.

Results in a "single coil sound" that has a stronger output and a fuller tone.

This does work quite well it seems. I've been experimenting with my 4 wire Lollar mini's. Bought some 1.1k resistors and alligator clip test leads. By clipping the resistor in between the series link and ground I can test out the effect of one or more resistors. So far I like two of them in series for 2.2k for the bridge pickup. The DGT SE uses 1.1 for the neck and 2.2 for the bridge, but the pickups are hotter than mine. I might even try 3 in series for 3.3k. When I get the combination I like best I'll wire them up to a push/pull pot. Fun and cheap to do!

I own SE and S2 guitars. I believe the S2 is a bit more refined. Also more resonant acoustically. But the finish is much more robust on any of my SE’s. Chips on all of my S2’s and zero on my SE’s. And I am a play at home guy. All of my S2’s came used though. This finish could be a result of the resonance as well I have read.

I love the SE for the price point. I have a SE C24 that was nice out of the box. Had a local Luther do a setup, intonation, and fret level. That really improved it for me. Last, I didn't hate the 85/15s but not exactly my taste. Swapped in some Vaughn Skow pickups along with the included resistors and it's one of my favorites now. My hollow body 2 piezo is still stock.
I ordered the 10th Anniversary S2 594 as the upgrades really got my attention. Dying here waiting for delivery.

I love the SE for the price point. I have a SE C24 that was nice out of the box. Had a local Luther do a setup, intonation, and fret level. That really improved it for me. Last, I didn't hate the 85/15s but not exactly my taste. Swapped in some Vaughn Skow pickups along with the included resistors and it's one of my favorites now. My hollow body 2 piezo is still stock.
I ordered the 10th Anniversary S2 594 as the upgrades really got my attention. Dying here waiting for delivery.
The 10th anniversary S2 594 is amazing I got mine about 3-4 weeks ago. I think I might have been one of the first to actually get theirs!

Back