SE 277 Baritone Strings

Not a 277, but I'm using D'Addario XL157s. I've tried EB Slinkies and La Bellas, but like the D'Addarios better ( I also use D'Addarios for most of my electrics--I just like the feel and tone).

I don't have P-90s in my electric bari, so YMMV.

What options are you looking at? Fender's got a set, but I haven't tried them. The old Bullets put me off Fender strings.

Not a 277, but I'm using D'Addario XL157s. I've tried EB Slinkies and La Bellas, but like the D'Addarios better ( I also use D'Addarios for most of my electrics--I just like the feel and tone).

I don't have P-90s in my electric bari, so YMMV.

What options are you looking at? Fender's got a set, but I haven't tried them. The old Bullets put me off Fender strings.
I was looking at various string sets from D'Addario mostly.
I was curious if anyone made flatwounds. I have a feeling they might make some funky baritone slide sounds.

I am liking Stringjoy right now. Excellent customer service too! They kept on sending me individual strings until I found the right tensions for me on my baritone!

I am liking Stringjoy right now. Excellent customer service too! They kept on sending me individual strings until I found the right tensions for me on my baritone!

That's service! I haven't tried those, but will next time.

Baritone and slide? Been listening to Joey Landreth or Ariel Posen?

I just use what I think are the stock strings, D'Addario 14-68 baritone length.

d-addario-exl157-nickel-wound-electric-guitar-strings-baritone-19.gif

Well, I broke out the bari and slide today. I had to pull the pup selector out and adjust the contacts, but once I got it dialed, I was really digging the slide.

Did you end up playing around with your baritone and slide?

I've been obsessed with the Stringjoy string tension calculator lately.

I'm running 12-62 on a 25.5" scale guitar tuned to B standard (inspired by Ariel and Joey) and it's a blast.

That's cool. I really struggled to like the 25.5" scale in B standard, and felt like it needed a little length. I've been happy with 27" and 27.8". I really wasn't too try slide on a multi-scale. :rolleyes:

That's cool. I really struggled to like the 25.5" scale in B standard, and felt like it needed a little length. I've been happy with 27" and 27.8". I really wasn't too try slide on a multi-scale. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you're not alone. I discovered with my SE-7 that the typical 7-string set is really too light on the low strings, especially on the 25" scale. But a 60+ for the low B was just thuddy. I can see why many 7-strings are going for the multi-scale or 26.5".

I was considering a Mushok or a 277, but then I found out about Ariel Posen running 17(!) to 64 on 25.5" tuned to B standard and a lightbulb came on. Granted he is an exceptional player, but I thought it sounded great.

12-62 on the 25.5" scale feels like a set of light top/heavy bottom 9's in normal tuning. Perfect tension for me and I can play it just like I do any other guitar. I think the compromise is it still lacks some clarity on the low string. It's not going to get that piano-like ring of the longer scale baritones.

Fun slide idea: tune it to open B, put a capo on 2nd fret and jam out with some Hound Dog Taylor, Natural Boogie.

Back