SE-245

gball

All - I hope I am not out of line asking this here, since it does not deal with retail/wholesale pricing - if this is inappropriate tell me and I will delete.

I am thinking of selling my SE-245 and I am wondering if anyone can help me with an estimate of the value (for the record, I love the guitar but I very rarely play it as my Mira is #1).

It's a 2013 SE-245 in Transparent Black. I am the original owner.
It has the following upgrades:
- USA Tremonti Treble pickup
- USA Vintage Bass pickup
- TonePros locking studs
- PRS USA strap buttons
- PRS USA Lampshade knobs (amber)
- Amber switch tip

I see unmodified ones for around $500 - $550 but I was wondering what these upgrades (in particular the US pickups) might do to the asking price for a PRS lover. Any guidance is appreciated.

The pickups are really the only thing that may add some value on the used market. I would look at ebay and reverb to find similar se's with similar upgrades and figure out about how much they are adding to the price. The "sold" filter in ebay would be your best friend in a situation like this.

You could see what those pickups sell for vs the se245 pickups, subtract and add the difference onto the price you are seeing for stock and start there. You can always go down...

As one who is looking at SE models and weighing the difference between new 245s or Tremonti Customs verse used models, I will note that when Musician Friends,, Sam Ash or Pyrmaxe offer 15 or 20 percent off new models, it makes the used market seem over priced. I've seen plenty of value priced, used SEs and plenty of barely discounted off MAP priced used guitars.

I would put the whole guitar back to stock. Or at least the pickups. I've sold 2 of my 3 SEs (245 & Tremonti Custom). Listed both with upgraded pups(Tremontis) and people kept low balling so I removed the Tremontis and put the stock pups back in. Dropped the price afterwards and both sold within a week after doing so. No one is going to give you value for the upgrades most likely. Just my experience and 2 cents.

I would put the whole guitar back to stock. Or at least the pickups. I've sold 2 of my 3 SEs (245 & Tremonti Custom). Listed both with upgraded pups(Tremontis) and people kept low balling so I removed the Tremontis and put the stock pups back in. Dropped the price afterwards and both sold within a week after doing so. No one is going to give you value for the upgrades most likely. Just my experience and 2 cents.
Agreed. Sell the pickups separate(and any other parts). Especially with pickups, you don't want to lose potential buyer because you have a premium price on the guitar for upgrades they might not like. They will turn around and find a less expensive option and upgrade the pickups to what THEY like. On the flip side, that one person could come along and say, "hey, that's exactly what I'd do for mods!" but chances for that are slim because your market is narrowed by the style of pickups and those willing to pay a little more for it. Sucks, but that's just the way it is. People want a bargain most of the time. You could test the waters before taking it apart and see what happens. Most of the time for parts, I figure 50-60% of what they cost new.

Thanks guys, that kind of confirms a suspicion that I had. I will likely keep it - the guitar sounds amazing (better LP tone than my actual LP), I just don't find myself picking it up much, but after your comments it makes me think I will keep it around because it does do that one thing so well and sometimes you just gotta scratch the itch.

Thanks guys, that kind of confirms a suspicion that I had. I will likely keep it - the guitar sounds amazing (better LP tone than my actual LP), I just don't find myself picking it up much, but after your comments it makes me think I will keep it around because it does do that one thing so well and sometimes you just gotta scratch the itch.

I like that reasoning. Definitely keep it. It sounds like a very cool guitar. Transparent black and upgraded. It sounds like a very "stealth" guitar disguised under a mellow vibe. I could see you pulling that out someday and really digging it. Times change and it would be something very nice to grab onto.

I think you are going to dig keeping it.

I like that reasoning. Definitely keep it. It sounds like a very cool guitar. Transparent black and upgraded. It sounds like a very "stealth" guitar disguised under a mellow vibe. I could see you pulling that out someday and really digging it. Times change and it would be something very nice to grab onto.

I think you are going to dig keeping it.

Totally agree. Played it again last night and was wondering what I was thinking. This is it (100% crappy cell phone pic, but you get the idea):

300x300.jpg

Back