SE 245 vs. SE Standard 245 specs

Un particular

Hi,

I'm wandering if there is any new spect in a recent indonesian SE Standard 245 (e.g. from 2015) that make it more desiderable than a "older" korean SE 245 (e.g. from 2011), or this are two different leagues and there is no competition.

I'm asking since I'm trying to decide between two of these in the same price level.

Thanks!

The SE245 Standard is technically considered a step down from the SE245. The SE245 Standard model will have a solid Mahogany body where the SE245 is Mahogany with a Maple top. It's mostly preference, but the Korean ones are considered the higher quality.

Just a note, these are both current models and will have similar specs as far as pickups, scale length, etc.

I`m not convinced that the pickups and other hardware are from the same suppliers. The best bet s always go play them and see what you think. I have an older SE 245, and it`s an excellent guitar.

... I have an older SE 245, and it`s an excellent guitar.
Me too, and totally agree. The Standards seem like nice guitars, but between the two, my personal preference would be for the SE245. It's completely subjective.

OP Ive actually played both within 2016 the Korean 245 was lighter and better quality, noticeable difference...

Many thanks for your advice!

I was told that both models are current ones (2016) so certainly it would be silly not to pick the korean one.

If all other things are equal the tonal difference between a maple top and a solid mahogany guitar are worth investigating.

Not sure how relevant this is but I have an older SE Custom 22 made in Korea and a more recent SE Standard 24 made in Indonesia. Between the two I have to say that the Indonesian made SE Standard 24 is better quality. The rosewood fingerboard on mine is exceptional for a guitar in this price range. On this model the fingerboard extends to about 2mm below the nut. Acoustically (no maple top remember) it is quite magical. Possibly due in part to the fingerboard extension? For me the pickups are much nicer sounding too. The only negative would be a loose in operation tone pot on the one I have.

Back