SE 245 vs SE 245 Standard

Low End

Hi everyone, new guy here. Could I please get some opinions on the pros and cons of each?
Why does the less expensive standard have neck binding and the other does not?
Is there really no intonation adjustment?
What is the nut made of?
Will I be able to play blues as well as 80's rock with the factory pickups?
Thanks in advance and if I buy a PRS, I promise not to be a one post wonder.

Also, are the body dimensions much different from an Epi Les Paul? I am shopping for a case as well. I was thinking about the Gator single cut hybrid case.
That's assuming I bought the standard. I believe the se245 comes with a PRS gigbag.

I own a Bernie which should have similar dimensions to the SE 245. If I were you, I would try a hard case before I bought one, or buy from a place with a good exchange policy. I tried this Gator case instore once - https://www.thomann.de/intl/gator_gwlpbrown.htm - there was a little pressure on the headstock which could have been alleviated with a cotton cloth under the body. Didn’t buy it as I wanted a perfect fit. Apparently the Epiphone LP case is a perfect fit, but I just have not gotten around to buying one yet. From my research the Gibson LP case won’t work.

I also own a SKB-56, but that has way too much pressure on the headstock for the Bernie. Works fine with my S2 Singlecut (with a cloth under the body to just change the angle a little bit in order to have no pressure on the headstock).

I view the new SE standard 245 as the cosmetically improved version that they hope will make current buyers pick PRS over another singlecut. Having owned a high-end goldtop, I can say that from a build perspective the original SE 245 holds its own from a playability standpoint and I like the tone from the pickups as much as the LP I had that had 496r/500t pickups in it. I did notice the one weak spot to them, which is likely true for all Korean PRS guitars. The pots and caps are inferior for sure and the volume and tone knobs were not in the same holes as a traditional LP. I had those components switched out and put in like how they were in the goldtop I owned and the tone is awesome with great taper for getting different sounds. Funny enough, I acquired the 245 I am talking about from a fellow musician who wanted my Goldtop and was willing to trade a bunch of gear and some cash for it. I still have it, I bought an overlay on etsy for the headstock and it looks great too.

Hi everyone, new guy here. Could I please get some opinions on the pros and cons of each?
What is the nut made of?
If you get either one, basically expect to learn to like Alpha pots with linear taper, or invest in CTS w/Audio taper and on the Standards the pickups could be a corner they cut...I havent laid hands on a Standard version yet...but there has to be a reason they are cheaper.

Looks to me like the SE 245 (more expensive) has a maple cap and an bridge adjustable for intonation.

CTIB31171-angle-large.jpg.auto.webp

Last edited:
Different SE models have different thickness bodies. I know the Zach Myers SE's that were made in Korea are thicker than some other models. I think the Bernie Marsden is another one. I think the Standards have thinner bodies.

Yes, the SE245 has the maple cap and a gig bag. Synthetic nut too. I actually like the look of the standard more. I can't find info on the nut for the standard. I would have to buy a gig bag for the standard too. I will end up spending about the same money either way. They both have adjustable bridges now judging by pics.

My Std came with a gig bag, I take it that is not standard now?

The nut is not a PRS composite one, but however the guitar as a whole is worth more to me than the sum of its parts or its monetary value.

There is a thread for mine, can’t find the link, maybe someone can help.

There is a difference in the way each model sounds. The older ones were made in Korea and only came with a maple cap. Two different flavors of good in my book. Having said that, I’m putting my 2012 up for sale. I’ve never bonded with the 24.5 scale and just love all my 25’s. Maybe if it had a whammy bar..........

Any opinions on why they put the neck binding on the standard and not on the maple top?

Well, I haven't gone away yet but I am holding off on my purchase. I would like to try out that neck in a store first. Unfortunately, that might not be for a while with this C19 stuff.

I bought my 2018 SE245 used, but in "Like New" condition. It came with the Flamed Maple Veneer/Cap, plastic Nut and a gig bag. It did not come with the intonatable bridge, but rather the fixed preintonated aluminum bridge. It seems every model year they add or subtract something to inprove the guitar, or make it more desirable to the consumer. I like the adjustible bridge feature, and wish they put it on the 2018 run. I wound up modding it so, i guess it doesnt matter much now.

What is the nut made of?

I bought the SE 245 Standard 3 weeks ago and the first thing I did was adjust the intonation, it was pretty close but needed some tweaking. I only bring this up because I saw some others speculate that it couldn't be adjusted, it can. Great guitar for the money, I don't spend $2000 plus for new guitars so I'm absolutely loving this one, however lockable tuners are in it's future.

The only difference I can see between the two guitars is that the Standard is bound Mahogany while the SE 245 has the additional step of gluing a maple top to the body. And the choice of colors is different... they all look great to me.

It definitely has a warm tone, blues and classic rock will sound great. I'm playing through a Fender Blue's Junior amp

I personally like the pickups but I haven't had a series of high end pickups to compare them too. They are a lot better than other pickups I've used on similarly priced guitars.

I don't know what the nut is made out of but it's not bone if that helps

P.S. You can actually see the intonation adjustment screws in one of the pictures on the PRS website

To clear something up, the fixed bridge IS adjustable, just not for each string. Two set screws - one on each end - allow intonation adjustments. IMHO, that bridge is one of PRS’s most brilliant designs and stays in tune flawlessly. It’s one less thing I have to worry about because it just works. After years of gigging my 245, it never let me down. Even in completely stock configuration, it was sick! Yes, I swapped the pickups a while back to fit my needs but the SE 245/Santana pickups and electronics sounded and functioned beautifully. The pots and harness are still in there today. No, I don’t have a standard in this model (mostly because I have all-hog guitars coming out of my ears around here) but would imagine the experience would be similar.
No Boogie comment on an SE245 thread would be complete without a video clip of my 245 misbehaving in my dining room with an old Boogie MkIII at gig volume.

se245pup2.jpg

Back