se 245 vs custom 24 se

DenBaker

Does anyone know where to find a direct comparison of the sound of these two guitars? I don't care about a tremolo bridge, and theoretically the 245 should sound richer with shorter scale, thicker wood, and mahogany neck so I'm leaning toward the 245. The only thing that makes me want the custom is the coil splitting to get the occasional strat sound. Or has anyone compared each one's sound.

Hey Den - I don't know where you might find a "professional" review, and I don't have any sound clips to post, but I have both a 2011 SE 245 and a 2012 SECU24, so here goes:

The 245 is a thick-feeling, thick, round, warm hunk of a guitar. It's a little on the heavy side, but not uncomfortable, and although the neck is beefy, the short scale makes it really comfy to play and easy to bend notes. I wouldn't call the sound vintage, but definitely more toward the classic rock sound.

The 24 is much more modern sounding, slinkier affair. It's still a very solid instrument, but the neck is alot thinner, feels completely different, and you feel the extra length. It's a brighter instrument. Stock pickups like higher gain settings on my amp. The coil splits are among the most useful I have heard on a twin humbucker guitar yet, even the bridge split is useful and not overly-thin.

With both guitars, you can pretty much cover any ground you want. A nice middleground between the two is the SE Santana, a little punchier than the 245 and definitely worth checking out if you are looking at the other two.

Also, if your budget allows, check out a used Mira (but not the Mira X) which has a great vintage sound, you can find some in the $800-$900 range...the SEs are great, but definitely a step up with the Maryland guitars.

Happy shopping and good luck!

Also can't remember seeing a pro comparison of these guitars anywhere (and believe me I read a lot of 'em!). I've tried both of them though and CantankerousCarl nailed it on the head, really - the SE245 is a bit more vintage-sounding. The Custom's coil-splitting is very good indeed, and to my ears the guitar generally just has a little more sizzle and bite to it.

For me it comes down a lot more to the overall feel of the guitar, and the neck might be what seals it for you. If you like thicker necks the 245 (also, check out the Bernie Marsden SE...it's fantastic) will probably be the one you go for I think, but if you like to play a bit speedier, more modern stuff, the Custom takes the lead in my books. Both incredible guitars, can't go wrong with either, really!

And of course, you could always keep an eye out for a second hand CE, as well...that's what I'm doing at the moment!

Here is a good review on the 2012 Custom 24.
I really like mine, and it will be nice to see the difference next week between it and the SE Tremonti Custom since the latter weighs a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both, and love both (well actually I have the SE Akesson, but it's basically a 245), and I'll echo what was said above. The 24 is a much more modern sound, and much hotter. The single coil sounds are great, very glassy but not too bright. But I have to admit, the 245's are TONE MACHINES. They have a very rich character on cleans, definitely not dull sounding, and they sound awesome with any amount of gain too. I also think the neck pickup has better tone on the 245, it's warmer and rounder without being too bassy. If you're the kind of player that doesn't need strat tones, I would go for the 245. If you think you'll want to play more fast solo work or with a lot of gain, the 24 is an excellent choice. They both sound excellent, but the 245 is a real stunner sonically.

Thanks everyone for the great info. When I posted the question I was leaning toward the 245, but I think the general consensus that the custom 24 has more sizzle and bite plus a thinner neck is probably going to put a custom 24 in my hands. I think it would be cool to have the coil splitting sounds too since I currently only have one guitar and it's more of a Les Paul clone.

Now if you can wait a bit...
The new SE Tremonti Custom that is coming out has the 245 pickups and the thin neck like the Custom 24.
No coil tap, but a good dealer can do this for you.

Mine should be here next week, and it has the thicker body like the 245.
There is a video of the new guitar in the Tremonti thread further down the page.

I sure like that UK purple one. I'm going to look into how much it would cost to ship here or if they can do it. If PRS is listening, at least offer the purple in the US!

Does anyone know where to find a direct comparison of the sound of these two guitars? I don't care about a tremolo bridge, and theoretically the 245 should sound richer with shorter scale, thicker wood, and mahogany neck so I'm leaning toward the 245. The only thing that makes me want the custom is the coil splitting to get the occasional strat sound. Or has anyone compared each one's sound.

I see this is an older post, but thought my recent experiences might be relevant to some in this, the future.

Seems we frequently don't directly answer querstions because we want to tell our own story. Well, I'm not imune from that disease, but my experience may shed a little light toward your problem.

Below are my 3 PRS SE STANDARDS, the 24, the 245, and the Santana. The 24 has a 25" scale, the 245 and Santana are 24.5".
PRS_TRIO_01_800.jpg

All 3 are P.T. Wildwood, Indonesian guitars mfg in 2017, sold as 2018. Each feel very different, plays very different, and, originally, sounded very different.
(Aside: I have a bias FOR the P.T.Wildwood Indonesian guitars. After buying and returning 3 of the newer Cor-Tek guitars I'm pretty sour on them, 1 new SE Custom 24, I new SE Zach Meyers, 1 used Standard 245)

It's an interesting question, which is why I ended up getting all 3. The 245 seemed to have a darker tone, more midrangey. The Santana was next darkest but had a lighter quality, and the 24 was very, very interestingly full bodied and clear....it can handle distortion well through my Katana MKII 50 watt and, in fact, gave what seemed to me to be the best sound, clean or dirty, of either the 245 or the Santana. I liked the pickups in the 24 so well that I purchased 2 more sets on Reverb and put them in the 245 and the Santana. But don't listen to me...I have this stupid idea that a guitar should have some definition, and I can't stand metal or totally fuzzed out sound. If that's your thing, then the SE 85/15 S pickups in the Standard 24 are probably not going to make you happpy. For me, they changed the muddier, mushier pickups of the 245 and Santana into really sonically superior instruments. True, they all sound more similar now, though the 245 still has a decidedly darker countenance, and the Santana is lighter and bouncier than the 245. But it's easy for me to see why they put the 85/15 S in the Standard 24...it's the perfect fit for that guitar. I am amused by people saying the 24 is more "strat-like"...why is that? because it has a 25" scale? I find it is nothing like a strat...it's like...a...a...PRS SE Standard 24. That's why I bought it. If I want a strat, I'll buy a strat. To my ear, the coil splits have little in common with the "Strat" sound. Sure, you get single coilish sound. And it's great. I love it...adds a whole new dimension to the sound. But the same is true of the other 2 PRSs that I've put the 85/15 S pickups in....coil split and all. They don't "sound like a strat". I would say the Standard 24 is quickly becoming my favorite guitar, though I really have to admit I am smitten by each and their respective characters. Every time I put one back on the wall and pick up the other one it's like coming home to a different woman...(did I say just that?...hope my wife never logs on to the PRS forums...)...they just feel..."right".

So, as others have advised you, you need to try them if you can. See which one feels and sound the best in person. The 245 is decidedly much heavier than the 24 or the featherweight Santana and that weight ads to its tonal character. It's darker with less highs, more mids, more bottom. The 24 is clear and crisp, some have called these "hi-fi" pickups though I wouldn't go that far.They weigh in at 9k-ish for the bridge and 8k-ish for the neck.
That is my experience. Asking for advice about how a guitar sounds is an exercise in futility...everyone will have a different experience and a different way of describing it. From what I've read in these forums, some people really like the sound of the 24 and its pickups and some people really don't like them....although I've read LOTS of "opinionoids" by some folks who haven't ever really played or owned one, let alone 3 PRS SE STANDARD guitars. Yes, I am a shameless addict, and PRS is my current addiction....so many quitars...so little time.... Good luck with your quest!

resized_20191203_183650-jpeg.369663

I've got both the models you're asking about comparisons of. The SE Custom 24 I swapped out the pickups from the pretty hot stock pickups to a pair of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups.
The SE 245 still has the stock pickups.
The Custom 24 hangs more like a Strat with Tele like controls (3 way switch/tone and volume with coil split). Wide/thin neck is actually pretty nice, although I didn't care for it initially.
The SE 245 is more Les Paul like, big neck (reminds me of an old LP Jr I used to have). Pickups are fairly low output, with bridge pickup being very nice.
Controls are a little different with the top row (nearest to you are you are playing) being front volume, back volume.
Tone controls are bottom row, front then back pickups. I didn't think I'd like it from having/playing Gibson guitars, but it actually makes sense like this.

Back