SE 245 Standard as a first guitar .... and some questions

I wish PRS SE models were around when I started learning guitar.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Private Stock, but a lot of what I paid for was the customization and the experience.
PRS makes a damned fine guitar that's affordable.
I look forward to hearing your report once you have it.

The guitar arrived yesterday ... the outer packaging was fine but the actual guitar box was opened and all the styrofoam literally smashed to pieces. Seems the guitar bounced about in the box a good deal. The instrument seems fine apart from a few finger prints. Not sure if this is a new instrument and being a newbie I cannot really judge the condition. The guitar is beautiful but I'm not certain if I should keep it. Should I ask for a replacement?

If there is no obvious cosmetic damage and the guitar is playing fine then I think you’re ok.

The finger marks may be from where it has been QC’d by the dealer.

The styrofoam has probably been damaged when they replaced the guitar into the box.

If you’re really unsure or unhappy then speak with your supplier about a replacement.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Remeber SC245’s are both to be rocked hard! Enjoy

Last edited:
So I've checked the guitar and played for a few days and there doesn't seem to be any damage from the rough transport. The guitar looks and feels beautiful but still gives me a bit of a headache. Yesterday I noticed that the frets feel a bit sharp. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case when I received the guitar a week ago. The humidity in my apartement is super low. Around this time of the year it's usually aroun 25-30 %. Can that cause the fretboard to shrink and make the frets feel sharp within a week?

Please excuse all my newbie questions. Thanks for the advice.

So I've checked the guitar and played for a few days and there doesn't seem to be any damage from the rough transport. The guitar looks and feels beautiful but still gives me a bit of a headache. Yesterday I noticed that the frets feel a bit sharp. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case when I received the guitar a week ago. The humidity in my apartement is super low. Around this time of the year it's usually aroun 25-30 %. Can that cause the fretboard to shrink and make the frets feel sharp within a week?

Please excuse all my newbie questions. Thanks for the advice.
Humidity is the culprit, as you noted. I would recommend the D'addario humidipack system to bring the guitar back in line. You will have to keep it in the case for a week or two, but it is worth it. Your next step would be to humidify your home, or at least the room you keep your guitars in. 40 to 50% relative humidity does amazing things to the neck, and playability of the guitar.

Thanks for all the advice a few month ago! I have now been the proud owner of a PRS SE 245 for a few month and I also have a room humidifier :). To me as a total beginner this guitar seems to be absolutely perfect and I play it daily.

Now I'd like to find out which strings are on the guitar because I'd like to buy a new set. I don't know which gauge is installed or which brand / model. What seems to be distinctive is that the high and low e have metal beads at the ends and all other strings have colored plastic beads. Anyone know what kind of strings that could be ?

Thanks!

Yes and no. If the height of the strings isn't too high you shouldn't have any major issues with intonation. A quick check with the tuner tho will let you know for sure.

Thanks for all the advice a few month ago! I have now been the proud owner of a PRS SE 245 for a few month and I also have a room humidifier :). To me as a total beginner this guitar seems to be absolutely perfect and I play it daily.

Now I'd like to find out which strings are on the guitar because I'd like to buy a new set. I don't know which gauge is installed or which brand / model. What seems to be distinctive is that the high and low e have metal beads at the ends and all other strings have colored plastic beads. Anyone know what kind of strings that could be ?

Thanks!

Isn't there a rule in these parts about posting pics?

I can't be the only one who wants to see this guitar.

Thanks, Ryan. I checked it and intonation is spot on. Better in fact than with the strings that where originally on it.

I didn't know about this rule but I'll post pictures.

Back