SE 245 Standard as a first guitar .... and some questions

Michi

Hi All

So I started playing guitar about two month ago with my wife's old concert guitar and decided it's time to get an electric. I fell in love with the looks of the SE 245 Standard and the price seems reasonable for a first guitar.

I've looked at various pictures and videos and sometimes the guitar has an adjustable stoptail, other times I see it with the (one piece) fixed intonation stoptail. Which one is actually on the guitar?

I think I'll order from here but the low price confuses me ;)

https://www.thomann.de/at/prs_se_245_standard_ts.htm

Is that the current version or is this some kind of older version of this guitar? Also, note that the pictures show the adjustable stoptail. Maybe there are different Versions for the EU and US market?

Any ideas or comments on that would be appreciated.

Many Thanks!

This is a guitar made to PRS specifications in Indonesia. That isn't to say it's a bad guitar .... many of the members here who have "core" PRS guitars (much more expensive, made in the US) also have SE guitars, and if you check the forum messages you will see everyone's experiences.

I have an SE 277 baritone that I like quite a bit.

My opinion is that the SE versions of PRS guitars offer very good value and play-ability and could make a great guitar for you!

I'll mention member @Alnus Rubra who has a SE 245

Thanks for your replies! Just to be sure ... I'm talking about the SE 245 Standard which seems to be a cheaper Version of the SE 245.

and different origin, right? Korea vs. Indonesia ... no idea if that makes a real difference.
nope both guitars are going through the same QC process. the normal SE will sound a bit brighter than the standard tho due to the maple top.

and different origin, right? Korea vs. Indonesia ... no idea if that makes a real difference.

I don’t know... Most SE production has moved to Indonesia, and aside from some initial posts here about quality concerns, most people seem pretty happy with them. Plus the SE line keep getting more and more (previously) upscale features, so I imagine in the future the Korean ones won’t be as desirable.

I have played and come close, multiple times, to buying the SE Standard 245. It's a muscular sounding guitar with a great tone. It's comfortable to play and really gets the job done for a super price. I think you will be VERY happy.

PS - the only reason I have never bought one is because I have a Core SC245 and realized the SE would be redundant. True logic, otherwise I'd own one, lol.

Great, thanks for your replies. I'll order the 245 Standard for 499 Euros. I think that's a great price. And regarding the bridge I guess it will be a surprise whether I get the normal one or the adjustable one...

What these SE Standards sell for is ridiculous! You kinda can’t go wrong.

Both bridges are great, and besides, you’ll eventually buy all the different versions.

PS - the only reason I have never bought one is because I have a Core SC245 and realized the SE would be redundant. True logic, otherwise I'd own one, lol.

The only reason I don’t own a Core SC is because I have a couple of SEs! I’m not sayin’ they’re the same but.... they’re soooo much closer than SE vs Core Custom 24/22’s or Santana’s etc.

The only reason I don’t own a Core SC is because I have a couple of SEs! I’m not sayin’ they’re the same but.... they’re soooo much closer than SE vs Core Custom 24/22’s or Santana’s etc.

I totally agree. If I didn't get the Core first, the SE would have been great. Much better equality than an Epi LP vs. Gibson LP.

I have a Korean SE245. It is a phenomenal guitar. My only suggestion would be to eventually put locking tuners on it. I fancied mine up with black chrome tuners and bridge, black and abalone knobs and black pickup rings. There is a picture of it floating around the site somewhere. The stock puckups are very versatile and can go from warm and clean to hot and dirty with the twist of a knob.

This is a guitar made to PRS specifications in Indonesia. That isn't to say it's a bad guitar .... many of the members here who have "core" PRS guitars (much more expensive, made in the US) also have SE guitars, and if you check the forum messages you will see everyone's experiences.

I have an SE 277 baritone that I like quite a bit.

My opinion is that the SE versions of PRS guitars offer very good value and play-ability and could make a great guitar for you!

I'll mention member @Alnus Rubra who has a SE 245

Yes I do and it’s an amazing guitar! I’m a lucky guy!

The adjustable bridge is kind of a newer addition to the model, but either way both versions are good.

I gotta say, the SE 245 is an excellent guitar right out of the box.

Yes it is, right of the box!

All of the SE line are excellent guitars. So far beyond any "beginner" level guitars that were available back in the '70s-'80s when I was getting started.
I have an SE standard, and it can hold its' own next to core USA PRS just fine! Like Markd21 said, mine only gets less playing time because I have the same model core guitar (Custom 24 in my case, vs. SE standard 24 "Schizoid").
Welcome to the forum!

Hi Michi,

When I started playing guitar a couple of years ago, I found a used Tremonti SE in my local music shop. It’s a similar guitar to the SE 245 that you’re considering— singlecut all mahogany body, dual humbuckers, stop tail.

When I told my brother, who’s been playing guitar for over 40 years, that I bought my guitar, he was a little skeptical. Until he played it. Every time he comes over he grabs the Tremonti and comments on what a great buy it was. (Most of his guitars are US strats.)

I absolutely love my guitar! As something to learn on, it’s phenomenal. Sounds good, easy to play, no sharp fret ends, really nothing to distract you from learning how to play guitar.

It’s a keeper! When the SE locking tuner set came out, I had a shop install the tuners and a core nut. After working on my guitar, they were impressed with how great of a value the SE line is.

So yeah, I think the SE 245 will be a fantastic first guitar!

Back