SE 245 Pickup Swap

DHW

I am going to start watching for the right deal to come along. I am thinking of probably putting a set of dmarzio 36th anniversay pups in it but may consider others. I don't dislike what is in there from the factory but feel there is room for improvement. If there are others I should consider please toss it out there. I play a little of everything but 70's through 90's rock/alternative/grunge/punk would be the main stuff.

So here is the questions... What leg length? What spacing? Covered or uncovered? I would be looking to install push pull pots in for splitting as well. Which pots/switch/jack would you guys recommend that will fit properly? Is there anything I am forgetting? A set of black lampshades will definitely be in order lol.

Well I swapped the pickups in my SE245 and actually found I preferred the stock ones so I tossed them back in believe it or not! :laugh: I believe the routes were deep enough so you could use either leg configuration, you'll want 50mm spacing and you could do covered or uncovered depending on your aesthetic and/or tone preferences. I had covered pickups in there when I swapped and they looked badass, but the tone of the stockers was actually surprisingly decent so back in they went! :D The stock electronics are actually pretty good stuff (Alpha pots stock), so unless you're OCD about swapping out everything, you shouldn't really need to change any of that stuff honestly. ;) Good luck, the SE 245 is a killer guitar, so much so that I'm actually considering grabbing a Maryland-made example as well!

The short legs will work with any guitar, I guess. When I got my Dimarzios, I got short-legged ones and they fit without any problem. You'd have to go with F-spacing in the bridge, and normal spacing in the neck. Covered vs uncovered will be down to personal choice. If you like the very slightly darker tone and sleek look of a covered pickup, go with it. If you prefer the very slightly brighter tone and uncovered look, go with it. Just remember to go with 4-conductors if you want the coil-split function.

:beer: Have fun!

Well I swapped the pickups in my SE245 and actually found I preferred the stock ones so I tossed them back in believe it or not! :laugh: I believe the routes were deep enough so you could use either leg configuration, you'll want 50mm spacing and you could do covered or uncovered depending on your aesthetic and/or tone preferences. I had covered pickups in there when I swapped and they looked badass, but the tone of the stockers was actually surprisingly decent so back in they went! :D The stock electronics are actually pretty good stuff (Alpha pots stock), so unless you're OCD about swapping out everything, you shouldn't really need to change any of that stuff honestly. ;) Good luck, the SE 245 is a killer guitar, so much so that I'm actually considering grabbing a Maryland-made example as well!

I'm right there with you on the overall quality of this instrument. It is simply mind boggling how good it is especially considering it was cheaper than most of the squires after haggling the clearance price down over the winter. What did you swap into it that you felt the stock pups were better? I agree they are good which is why I haven't made the change yet. Maybe a swap isn't needed...

The SE245's are killer and the stock pickups are nice but I think the 36th Anni pickups would be a great match for the 245. Personally, I wanted a hotter bridge so I just ordered a Tremonti for it, but gonna leave the stock neck one.

I dropped my set of 53/10's in there, ended up preferring the stock ones in that guitar! Put them back in and realized it had already arrived at my door perfect (just needed locking tuners which I've already taken care of previously! :D), so returning her to stock was a good call! ;)

Put a US 245 in the neck and a Jim Wagner Godwood in the bridge. That combination has made my SC245 into a LP killer.

36ths work beautifully in my Akesson. i think they sound perfect in that guitar. classic with something extra, but not high output.

As good as the SC245 pups sound, I simply couldn't justify replacing the SE245 versions. They sound so damned good! I bought this one for my son and took it for a quick spin with my old Boogie, with one hand holding the camera. But even thru a 'modern' amp this guitar sounds fantastic as is. Upgrades are fine, but IMO, the stock pups are stellar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a pair from a regular SE Singlecut put in an SE 245 I bought with the wiring stripped. All CTS pots & 3 way, Schaller 2 piece bridge-tailpiece, locking Hipshot open back tuners, graphtech tusq nut. Hoping for a balls to the walls solidbody sound. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how it turns out.

Back