SE 245 pickup change

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by William Whitman, Apr 15, 2019.

1. William Whitman

William Whitman Still figuring it out...

Hey guys, new member here with an old question. I just acquired my first PRS - an SE245. The SE’s were the only PRS in my price range and by all rights it’s beautiful guitar. As a lot of folks have mentioned, the pickups are a bit dark for my taste. After reading tons of forum posts and listening to more YouTube clips than I care to mention over the least few days I’ve come down to the Saturday Night Specials or the Pearly Gates based on what I’m looking for. Does anyone have experience with either of these in an SE245 themselves? Thanks in advance for the help!

shimmilou likes this.
  2. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Congrats William. The SE 245 is a terrific guitar, just got one myself and no plans to change a thing about it, the pups sound great. I have the same/similar pups in a SE ZM and they sound great also, but different in that guitar.

Have you tried playing with the pup heights? You can raise/lower each side independently, to increase/decrease treble and bass response. I typically tweak pup heights for awhile after I get a new guitar, to see if I can get tone more to my liking, and it works out fine most of the time.

William Whitman likes this.
  3. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

^^^^ That's a good point. Raising them will brighten them up. Make them more powerful too.

As for the pups you mention, I haven't tried either, but I have tried the SD 59's in an SE245 which are a little like the Pearly Gates (to my ears). They worked very well. I have liked 59's in just about everything I've tried them in. A workhorse pup if there ever was one. I would not hesitate to try the Pearly Gates in there.

4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Congrats on the SE245! Great guitar! Welcome to the forum.

William Whitman likes this.
  5. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I actually find the SE245’s to be a little on the brighter side already. If it’s your first PRS, try turning the bass on your amp down. I know that sounds almost counter-intuitive, but most PRS guitars are more full sounding in the lows than other brands, and for that reason people often find them “dark” sounding.

Just a thought hopefully with trying. If it works, it’s cheaper than new pickups!

shimmilou and William Whitman like this.