SE 245, Need HELP DECIDING

Jackqm

So after much YouTube watching and interweb reading I decided I was going to buy an SE 245 standard. Then today I stopped at local guitar store and he was just unboxing an s2 mcrarty 594 in dark cherry..
I instantly fell in love with the looks of that 594.
So the back story. Wanting to upgrade from some cheap Chinese strat that I feel was more hindrance than help while learning to play. I bought a decent acoustic and while I would put myself at a low intermediate level with it, I can't play that cheap chinojunk for nothing. So wanted to do a upgrade.
For someone at my skill (or lack their of) level, does one of these guitars offer an advantage over the other? One easier to play? Need some advice. SE 245, or just buy the rest of my lifetime s2 549?

If you have the money go for the S2 594. I have both and while the 245 is an excellent guitar for the money, the 594 is amazing! You won't be disappointed n the 245 though...

I'm sure I helped...somehow.

You could buy two 245 for the price of a S2 594. Get a gray and a burst.

As Doctor survival says, two is one and one is none. If you apply this rule to the above, you're really only buying one guitar!

Maybe I helped some more, but probably not.

Like @sergiodeblanc my Bernie virtually killed my singlecut gas (I sold 2 Gibson LP's after getting mine - a classic custom & a classic 50s) any of the 245's are fantastic be they the standard range or the mapped capped range.

I can't comment on the s2 594 I doI own a s2 Vela and while it's a great guitar in a straight shootout I'd go for a 245 everyday of the week.

Another thing to consider. For the same kind of money as the s2 you can score some pretty nice preloved core models. I currently have 4 core's that are all virtually mint and 3 of them cost around half of the S2 - the other was only £200 more

As others have said by the one the one that you can COMFORTABLY afford. At the end of the day it wont be the last PRS you buy I guarantee it.

2001 Standard 22
2001 McCarty
2006 CE-24 Mahogany
2015 McCarty
2016 S2 Vela
2010 SE Nick Catanese
2011 SE Bernie Marsden
2013 SE Santana
2018 SE Chris Robertson

Finding any model of guitar that speaks to you would be the best reason to buy it. I had no intentions of getting a 509, but one fell out of the sky and got me. That S2 sounds like a keeper to me, if the price is right. That being said, the 245 is a helluva guitar.

I'm going to go the other way, and say get the SE245. As a beginner, you're going to get absolutely spoiled having something as amazing as the 594, and all your future guitar purchases will need to be Private Stock level to be an improvement. On the other hand, maybe you'll never get the disease that so many of us have, constantly looking at new gear.

The SE 245 has a slightly larger neck profile doesn't it? That would be a deciding factor for me.

Back