se 245 controls

Patrick Brewster

New to forum so hello to everyone! Just bought a used se245 and I don't understand the controls. The only guitar I've owned is a strat so I'm new to the LP style. Can you tell me what the three positions of the selector switch are, and how it changes how the volume controls work?? Does it also change the way the tone control works? I really feel dumb having to ask.

Last edited:
Hi Patrick,

Mine is a 2015 SE 245 Standard. Selector switch position closest to the neck (down) is bridge pup only, middle is both pups, away from the neck (up) is neck pup only. In the middle position, you can use the 2 volume controls to blend the pups, more neck, more bridge, or both full volume. Adjust each pup tone control to taste. With the pup selector switch in the middle position, I like the bridge volume at 10 and the neck volume at about 7.

46892068775_58ab0b4cac_o.jpg

Last edited:
:mad: For some strange reason, I am having trouble adding this to my post above:

The PRS knob layout is different than a LP, but the selector switch operation is the same as a LP. To me, the PRS knob layout is more intuitive.

LP knob layout:

46892356335_3b02703636_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Patrick,

Mine is a 2015 SE 245 Standard. Selector switch position closest to the neck (down) is bridge pup only, middle is both pups, away from the neck (up) is neck pup only. In the middle position, you can use the 2 volume controls to blend the pups, more neck, more bridge, or both full volume. Adjust each pup tone control to taste. With the pup selector switch in the middle position, I like the bridge volume at 10 and the neck volume at about 7.

46892068775_58ab0b4cac_o.jpg

And note that the volume controls are coupled in the middle position. This means that turning one volume all the way down cancels the whole signal. But it also means there is some fun interactivity that gives you different sounds.

Welcome Patrick, congratulations on your NGD
Thank you! I'm glad I found this forum. I have wanted a PRS since the first time I saw one, but I didn't think I was good enough to justify a high end (for me) guitar. I was in Blues Angels Music and saw this se245 in the used rack an couldn't get it out of my mind. I told my wife about it when I got home an she asked me if I bought it. No, i said. Well why not, she said. Love that woman! So, anyway, in the three days I've had it, I see improvement allready. I'm hitting chord changes that I used to muff, bends are easier, and I'm finally getting some vibrato going! Small things to some, but I've been trying for fifteen years! God Bless PRS.

That is too cool Patrick! Post some pics of your guitar when you get a chance. Perhaps you can start a NUGD thread. (New Used Guitar Day). And congrats on your first PRS purchase, there will likely be more. ;)

Thank you! I'm glad I found this forum. I have wanted a PRS since the first time I saw one, but I didn't think I was good enough to justify a high end (for me) guitar. I was in Blues Angels Music and saw this se245 in the used rack an couldn't get it out of my mind. I told my wife about it when I got home an she asked me if I bought it. No, i said. Well why not, she said. Love that woman! So, anyway, in the three days I've had it, I see improvement allready. I'm hitting chord changes that I used to muff, bends are easier, and I'm finally getting some vibrato going! Small things to some, but I've been trying for fifteen years! God Bless PRS.

Never let her go! And your wife too;)

Back