SE 24 custom neck profiles.

Stm113

I purchased 2 Se Custom 24 guitars from Sweetwater. 1 is whale blue and the other is a see thru gray/black that’s a Sweetwater exclusive.

They are both supposed to have the wide thin neck profile, the neck on the whale blue feels thicker than the gray/black one. I contacted PRS, they don’t keep records on the serial numbers but according to them and Sweetwater the necks are the same, but they don’t feel it. The neck on the SW exclusive feels perfect. It’s too late to send the blue back.

Anyone here noticed a difference in the necks on these?

I purchased 2 Se Custom 24 guitars from Sweetwater. 1 is whale blue and the other is a see thru gray/black that’s a Sweetwater exclusive.

They are both supposed to have the wide thin neck profile, the neck on the whale blue feels thicker than the gray/black one. I contacted PRS, they don’t keep records on the serial numbers but according to them and Sweetwater the necks are the same, but they don’t feel it. The neck on the SW exclusive feels perfect. It’s too late to send the blue back.

Anyone here noticed a difference in the necks on these?
So, this is how you brag about a double NGD? Umm...congrats??!!

Good point, I didn’t really didn’t get to my pint well did I? Just curious if anyone has had this experience with differences in neck feels and what would/did they do.

I’m Also curious if anyone has ever tried to take a little bit off their guitar necks before.

DGTs were known to have a slightly different “feel” from year to year in the early days. He was tweaking it constantly, but that was on purpose. Variances due to production inconsistencies is not something PRS is known for. There have been some here to modify their neck carve but not many and not often.

I never noticed a difference between my 2015 se standard and my 2018 se custom. I’m pretty sensitive to neck profile.

Guitar necks are made of wood and are always finish sanded by hand. No two will ever be completely identical. Close, yes but identical...never.
I have two S2 guitars and they have the same neck profile but one is definitely a little thicker. All manufacturers will have certain tolerances between like A and B. You may have one that is closer to A and the other closer to B.

I’d thought about that but the difference between the two is pretty drastic. It’s almost like the difference between my 96 Les Paul studio and my 12 Les Paul Classic 60’s profile.

I’ve noticed differences in some of my SE necks (I own eight... jeez, that sounds like a lot).

The older W/F and W/T are pretty consistent, but the newer ones are kinda all over the place. My 2016(?) Custom Semi Hollow has a W/T that’s almost flat on the back, and my 2017(?) Santana that’s advertised as W/F is unlike any other neck profile I’ve had from any PRS... it’s like a W/F/T, a mixture of both neck profiles, but nothing like the Core Santana or West St. necks.

I’d thought about that but the difference between the two is pretty drastic. It’s almost like the difference between my 96 Les Paul studio and my 12 Les Paul Classic 60’s profile.

Have you actually measured the thickness and width of the two guitars?

Back