SE 24-08 or Zach Mayers sig?

lan2004

What are your thoughts about the SE 24-08 vs Zach Mayers 2021 sig?
Trying to decide which SE should i buy? what is the best value for money?
Does the coil splitting is a deal breaker?
Worth mentioning - it will be my first PRS purchase.
Thanks and have a great weekend.

The 24-08, like the 35th Anniversary versions of last year has splitting individually per pickup, looks like the Zach Myers does not. The Zach has a 4-know tone/volume control more like a Les Paul. If it splits it's not in the description at the site.
The coil splitting doesn't matter when it's not engaged.

The 24-08 also has the TCI S pickups which means they have been tuned per instrument to sound a bit better. I don't think the 245s on the Zach have as they don't say TCI. I think both should sound like slightly hotter rock guitars but I haven't listened to 245 pickups in person to compare.

I think the tapping would be something I would prefer, but honestly 22 vs 24 frets and semihollow vs solid are two major differences that would easily turn many folks on or off.

The 24-08, like the 35th Anniversary versions of last year has splitting individually per pickup, looks like the Zach Myers does not. The Zach has a 4-know tone/volume control more like a Les Paul. If it splits it's not in the description at the site.
The coil splitting doesn't matter when it's not engaged.

The 24-08 also has the TCI S pickups which means they have been tuned per instrument to sound a bit better. I don't think the 245s on the Zach have as they don't say TCI. I think both should sound like slightly hotter rock guitars but I haven't listened to 245 pickups in person to compare.

I think the tapping would be something I would prefer, but honestly 22 vs 24 frets and semihollow vs solid are two major differences that would easily turn many folks on or off.

These are wise thoughts.

I would add, I do think the pickups in the ZM are now “TCI tuned” to the ZM platform. But, the pickups in the 24-08 are their own thing. They’re really some of the most versatile pickups I’ve played, short of something in a core guitar, their coil splitting is actually pretty useful vs some other humbuckers that lose a lot of the bass authority when split.

With the ZM, it’s kind of a three way cross between traditional PRS tone, an LP, and a 335. With the 24-08, it’s more PRS than anything else, but maybe a little more like a 2hb super strat. So I would choose based on the platform that speaks to you most before anything else, because they’re different instruments at their core, but do be aware of the differences in electronics, too.

The 24-08 has been some of the best guitars we have through the store. The switching is so versatile and the single coils don't lose much punch like you normally get from splitting a pickup. They def. have a winner here.

Agreed, the signal is rather close, less loss than I'd expect. Maybe because it's a proper tap and not a split where one gets grounded out - I'm not sure as I haven't experimented personally, but there's a good chance of tapping and still seeing similar volume levels.

Last edited:
Back