SE 22 semi-hollow with tailpiece or with trem? Which do you prefer?

swazifiction

I have a standard 24 and love it but it's very heavy; I would love a Gibson 335 but they're way beyond my budget and anyway I don't trust Gibson's QC. So... I'm looking to get an SE custom 22 semi-hollow because it's lighter and the wide thin on the older ones is modelled on a 335 neck but it's still a PRS. I need some advice: should I go for an older model with the tailpiece or should I go for one of the newer ones with a trem? Is there a difference in tone?

Of course there will be a difference. On the one hand you have a 'fixed' bridge that is solidly fixed to a body compared to a 'floating' bridge that is basically connected to the body on a knife edge. That must have an impact because the 'Bridge' is ALWAYS in contact with the string - the nut for example may well be in contact with the string, but its not important when your finger presses down and forces the string to be in contact with a fret - the bridge is always affecting the string.

The ONLY thing I can say in answer to your question though is which do you want? If you want a trem, then go for that, if you want a fixed bridge, try to find one. Try both if you can, maybe the differences are not that 'different' to you or maybe you might actually prefer one over the other. There is NOT a right answer here - not if you are looking to be told which you should buy. The ONLY answer is try them both if possible and go for the one that you prefer, the one that may suit you the best. Its your money, you the one that has to play it, you that has to be happy - not me or anyone else here. Try both if possible - you may not have too much choice if you are adamant on finding an older model but try both and get the one you are most happy with!

Last edited:
I never use a trem, so I choose guitars without one whenever possible. For me, the question is a no-brainer, but as Mozzi said, what do YOU want?

Tough call. I’m mildly disappointed that I didn’t wait for the trem version, but at the same time I hate the blade switch location for trem guitars.

I have the stoptail.... ridiculously great sounding guitar!

EiQ5F3f.jpg

Not a 335 sound though.

I have the stoptail.... ridiculously great sounding guitar!

That's a great looking guitar! Is that an upgraded bridge (with the individual bridge pieces for intonation)? Did you put in a rotary pickup selector?

That's a great looking guitar! Is that an upgraded bridge (with the individual bridge pieces for intonation)? Did you put in a rotary pickup selector?

Yeah, that was a Mann bridge. I wound up taking it off as I didn’t care for the change in tension that happened with it. And yes, there’s a rotary and DII’s in there as well.

If the trem isn't important to you go with the fixed bridge; it will give you better tuning stability.
I guess it isn't so important; I seldom use the trem on the standard 24. But tuning stability is one of the reasons why I chose PRS in the first place.

Back