Scratchy Pots on My S2 594 McCarty

Well, I got my S2 594 Singlecut back yesterday and all is well, the only niggle that I have is that I noticed that the Core push pull pots for my tone controls seem to be a bit taller than the volume pots. They basically look like they're pulled out when they're not. Anyone else notice this phenomenon. It's not a huge deal functionally, just a bit of an eyesore to me.

Well, I got my S2 594 Singlecut back yesterday and all is well, the only niggle that I have is that I noticed that the Core push pull pots for my tone controls seem to be a bit taller than the volume pots. They basically look like they're pulled out when they're not. Anyone else notice this phenomenon. It's not a huge deal functionally, just a bit of an eyesore to me.
Maybe this is because of the violin carve on the Core?

Is there room to put washers in the cavity to "push" it down?

Glad it is working well tho!

Maybe this is because of the violin carve on the Core?

Is there room to put washers in the cavity to "push" it down?

Glad it is working well tho!

There's probably a little bit of room, but I'd be nervous about disturbing the solder joints if I were to do that.

Pics?

De Oxit .. In the spray can ... With the little hose . But you would have to remove the little cavity cover , and spray the interior of the pots to get where the environmental crud is. Maybe even remove them to give them a thorough spray, but I would certainly do that, before I gave it to a Tech or shipped it to PRS ...

And I am by no means a tech ...

Washers are the solution. Solder joints will be fine.

Well, my beloved S2 594 will be going in to my tech for repair, but before it does, I want to have all my ducks in a row. Will the existing lampshade knobs that are on the guitar fit the Core pots? I know that some of the foreign made components will have different dimensions...typically smaller.
May I ask what
Greetings gang,

Recently my beloved S2 594 Singlecut has been quite scratchy when using the volume and tone controls. I've tried contact cleaner to no avail, and when I look at the connections in the control cavity, all looks well. Any thoughts on what the cause could be? Should I just spring for new Core volume pots, push/pull tone pots and a Core toggle switch and have them installed when I send the guitar to my tech to have a Core 594 bone nut installed along with its bi-annual setup? Any suggestions are appreciated.

May I ask what is the year of manufacture of your S2 594?

Does anyone happen to know off hand whether the PRS push pull pots from the accessory shop are imperial 3/8"x32 or M8?

Another S2 594 scratchy pot user here!
Mine is a double cut from 2021. Mine is only a little over a year old since purchase and it has seen light use in my home only. I had a S2 standard 24 back in about 2017 that did the same thing within a year. Apparently, these overseas made pots are junk.
They also feel very weird....they move too easily.
This is sad. I have a 2019 Gibson LP and a 2019 Strat and Tele ...all of them in the same environment (but 2 years longer) and have no issues with the pots.
So, do the core pots last longer and have a stiffer feel or should I just replace with some high quality Gibson pots?

Mine is a double cut from 2021. Mine is only a little over a year old since purchase and it has seen light use in my home only. I had a S2 standard 24 back in about 2017 that did the same thing within a year. Apparently, these overseas made pots are junk.
This is sad. I have a 2019 Gibson LP and a 2019 Strat and Tele ...all of them in the same environment (but 2 years longer) and have no issues with the pots.
So, do the core pots last longer and have a stiffer feel or should I just replace with some high quality Gibson pots?
The S2 pots are made by Alpha. They’re not junk. Used by Reverend, Rivolta and others..They are of descent quality.Just get a can, the red and black one, of De-Oxit and take the knobs off (carefully) and spray a bit into the sides of the turning screw..A can will last you for 20 years. Great for pots, jacks and tube sockets for amp maintenance as well… The Core pots are higher quality, but still turn very easily…. Gibson doesn’t make pots

Last edited:
I personally prefer super easy-turning pots, especially for the volume controls. Easy moving pots do not mean junk - just a different design/style. I typically switch out the volume pots to the Bourns brand (even if the guitar has the the higher end CTS pots) - I just prefer the almost zero-resistance feel of Bourns pots. The EVH-branded pots are Bourns.

I personally prefer super easy-turning pots, especially for the volume controls. Easy moving pots do not mean junk - just a different design/style. I typically switch out the volume pots to the Bourns brand (even if the guitar has the the higher end CTS pots) - I just prefer the almost zero-resistance feel of Bourns pots. The EVH-branded pots are Bourns.
This is correct. The pots on the Core line move easily too. That’s what Paul likes.

Back