Scratched the back of my rosewood neck. Suggestions on repair?

alwittlich

Hello. First post here. I recently acquired a lovely 2001 McCarty with the solid rosewood neck. The guitar is great and I have really been enjoying playing it. Recently I was adjusting the neck relief and when I slipped my capo over the neck, the metal edge of it dug into the neck and left a very shallow scratch. It is noticeable by eye, but worse, it ruins the silky smooth feeling of the neck near the head-stock.

I would think that using some extremely fine sandpaper may do the trick, but I don't want to risk messing up the neck. Would anyone have some advice on this? Has this happened to anyone else? Don't ask how I managed to do it, I have no idea. I've worked with neck relief many times and never had a capo slip and do this.

Thanks in advance.

-Al

I've taken 600 grit to my rosewood neck before. :eek: I wanted to reshape it just slightly. Worked great, and BRW sawdust smells terrific.

Wow, 600 sounds like a heavy grit! Did you use something finer afterward or was the 600 enough for it to be silky smooth? Thanks!

If your scratch is really light you can just use the steel wool. You can find it at Home Depot.

If your scratch is really light you can just use the steel wool. You can find it at Home Depot.
Thanks, I might give that a try. It's not a deep scratch, just enough to feel it and see it and make my skin crawl :confused:

So, I went with the 600 grit and 000 steel wool. It feels great and you can’t tell a scratch was even there. However, there is an ever so slightly lighter coloring where I sanded. I don’t think the back of the rosewood necks are finished, but I could be wrong. I’m wondering if oiling the neck would fix this slight color difference. Any thoughts?

So, I went with the 600 grit and 000 steel wool. It feels great and you can’t tell a scratch was even there. However, there is an ever so slightly lighter coloring where I sanded. I don’t think the back of the rosewood necks are finished, but I could be wrong. I’m wondering if oiling the neck would fix this slight color difference. Any thoughts?
Wood oxidizes as it's exposed to the air, you just got through the oxide layer, it'll even out over time.

Back