SCJ vs. JA-15

fgeorge097

Was looking at picking up one of these as a NOS, either an SCJ from the 2008 limited rum or a JA-15 from early 2010s.

What are the differences between the two models, mainly? Can anybody who owns one describe how they sound and feel?

No store nearby that has either in stock to go play, so would be a blind online purchase.

Looking for a big, boomy, full sound.

I only have the SC-J, and sorry, really a newb, so can't really describe sound. I'm really drawn to it, if that means anything, lollers. I find myself pulling it out of its case more than any other guitar (I usually play whatever's out, unless there's something wrong with it). Mine has the archtop pickups in it. Good luck finding one, though, I practically stole mine, haven't seen any others for anywhere near the price before or since. They're rare as hen's teeth. You might have better luck buying one of the Neal Schon models.

I will take it to my friend's this weekend and see if he can describe it.

Last edited:
OP what Dusty mentions in the "arch top pickups" is a huge factor in trying to achieve a big boomy sound. The 53/10's and other PRS pups are great but the arch tops PUs are (to me) tops for a big jazz clean sound, if you're talking big boomy rock or blues tones, that's another story. I've never got my hands on either SCJ or JA-15 but I would guess the JA-15 fills the "big boomy" from what I've heard on vids.

Good luck on your tonal pursuit.

I have a Private Stock SC-J. It featured in the PS calendar in 2010. Pickups are 245's. It is an incredibly rich and warm sounding guitar, but it can do blues and classic rock as well.

Is the SCJ a fully hollow guitar, or is there a center block going down the middle of the body like a 335?

Can you comment on the feedback levels when playing with distortion?

I may be a little late to comment on this post. I have ,a 2012 JA-15. I must first mention that I've previously owned and played Byrdlands, Gibson 355s, Les Paul and even a PRS Singlecut HB II.

If you are looking for a really great sounding Jazz box the JA-15 is a great bargain if you can find one since they are now only sold as a JA-15 Private stock. The JA-15 has a spruce top like the L-5, Byrdland and George Benson and provides a classic jazz sound. For rock, I use a solid body PRS Custom 24 as I don't see why someone would use a hollow body for rock. Although the tone would be great, controlling the feedback would be awful.

The SC-J is a maple top and although looks great, it's sound is much brighter especially with the thinner body.

I have a Private Stock SC-J. It featured in the PS calendar in 2010. Pickups are 245's. It is an incredibly rich and warm sounding guitar, but it can do blues and classic rock as well.
Hi,

I just bought an SC-J Limited, 2009. I have never played one and it will not be delivered until next week. What does "SC-J" stand for - something, something - Jazz? Can you still get the 245 Jazz pick-ups from PRS? I will only be playing Classic Country and Jazz Standards.

I may also be interested in getting a new tailpiece to replace the Bigsby. Do you know if those are still available or can you recommend an appropriate one?

Thank you very much for your post and your help

Regards, Scott

Hi,

I just bought an SC-J Limited, 2009. I have never played one and it will not be delivered until next week. What does "SC-J" stand for - something, something - Jazz? Can you still get the 245 Jazz pick-ups from PRS? I will only be playing Classic Country and Jazz Standards.

I may also be interested in getting a new tailpiece to replace the Bigsby. Do you know if those are still available or can you recommend an appropriate one?

Thank you very much for your post and your help

Regards, Scott

I actually cheered when I read that you found a way to get a jazz box, Scott. I’m really happy for you and I can’t wait to see the pictures when it arrives.

- Bryan

I actually cheered when I read that you found a way to get a jazz box, Scott. I’m really happy for you and I can’t wait to see the pictures when it arrives.

- Bryan

Hi Bryan,

It really surprised me too. I know they are becoming rare. And to find a dealer who was willing to make a straight-up trade for one was more than I expected. I keep hearing the guys at Wildwood Guitars are good people. I was impressed.

So, I just sent the 24-08 off this morning to Colorado. If I am lucky I will get the SC-J by late next week. I also sent the PRS tech support/customer support people questions about the pickups and the Bigsby. So, like I said elsewhere, I try to get things done ASAP, before I forget what I was going to do. :)

Be safe! I like your dog!! :)

Regards, Scott

Wow, a straight up trade is fantastic. Wildwood is a great shop. I’ve gotten a couple of guitars from them. I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it.

That was a dog I tried to get but since I have three already my wife said no. I just like the picture and I don’t have very many pictures of myself.

Wow, a straight up trade is fantastic. Wildwood is a great shop. I’ve gotten a couple of guitars from them. I’m looking forward to hearing how you like it.

That was a dog I tried to get but since I have three already my wife said no. I just like the picture and I don’t have very many pictures of myself.

Well, at least you can remember the little guy when you look at the picture. I agree about the trade. I only hope the guitar is as nice as they say. I have no reason to doubt them. And they agreed to put on a set 10's and adjust the action due to my finger conditions. They are also going carefully look at the Bigsby to be sure it is working properly since I expressed some concern about its effect on tuning. So I could not ask for more if I like the guitar!

How are you doing in RI with the virus? We stay inside here as much as we can. But, hopefully, you are past the worst of it! Be Safe!

Regards, Scott

The virus took my job.

That sounds like a very difficult situation. I hope your wife works and you are not in danger of being evicted - which, I heard tonight, is a situation 14 million renters are in right now. We are so lucky to have pensions. It seems so many people lost theirs in 2008. And new jobs, even the military, usually do not have good retirement prospects anymore. The old G.I. Bill was great. It really helped all those soldiers coming back from WW II, and even Korea. I was one of the later ones to take full advantage of it.

After applying for 32 jobs, you are overdue for break!!!

When I have not been able to get a steady singing job, I often have relied on jobs at nursing homes and such places to keep my voice and playing in shape. All that may be a thing of the past too.

Politicians really need to reenvision our society. The next few years could be the best opportunity to do that since the end of WW II. I hope I am around to see it happen. :)

Be safe. Keep playing your guitar. Life really is short!

Regards, Scott

Back