Schaller v. Grover locking tuners PRS SE

Elliot

Gandalf the Vintage Yellow
I'm looking for a drop in replacement for my tuners on my PRS SE cu24 30th. I have looked at both the Schaller and Grover locking machine heads.

I read a bunch of reviews on Amazon. One review said that the chrome on the Schaller machine heads was a little fragile. Also, the Grover drop in locking tuners are a bit cheaper. I would love to hear some positive reviews for the Grovers. However, it seems like the majority of people here use the Schallers. It seems like both tuners can break strings relatively easily.

Any info would be appreciated!

I'd go John Mann modified SE to Phase II

Do you mean have his shop do the conversion to phase II, or did he modify some phase II tuners to drop into the SE?

I tried to look on his guitar vault and I couldn't find a drop in phase II

Had Schaller locking tuners on all my SEs and a bunch of other guitars.
Had a problem with the chrome finish in one of maybe 10 sets. All their other finishes are a lot better and Nickel fits the rest of the hardware much better anyway.
To me it's always either Phase III or Schaller.

If you gig the guitar, and those are your only options, Schallers. If you play casually, the Grovers are fine. Personally, I've had all of the above and will next have John Mann's conversion tuners (SE to PII style).

Agree with Boogie. I have the Grovers on my EG and they work just fine. But if you had to change a string on a dark stage they'd be a bit fiddly. It's hard to see where the string hole lines up and 'feel' where the indent is on the tuners, but they are very smooth and stable.

Jim

Thanks for the great info guys. I think for now I'll stick with the tuners on the guitar. I play for about an hour everyday, not very hard, and my strings stay in tune pretty well. Bottom 3 are th most variable but its managable.

Sometime next year, I'll probably get the PRS SE's modified to phase 2 by John Mann. He's the Mann.

Sorry to resurrect a old thread, but I have related questions. I hope not too basic (i.e. - stupid)!

I just bought my SE Custom 24 and am considering upgrading to locking tuners (along with a new nut). The Mann Made option looks great as I would prefer to keep the guitar as close to original as possible. But I see the Mann Made tuners lack the PRS logo on the back.

Are the tuners actually modified to remove that logo insert? I've read that they will actually modify your current set, so would those retain the PRS logo then? Any recommendations on where to buy the official Phase II set?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to resurrect a old thread, but I have related questions. I hope not too basic (i.e. - stupid)!

I just bought my SE Custom 24 and am considering upgrading to locking tuners (along with a new nut). The Mann Made option looks great as I would prefer to keep the guitar as close to original as possible. But I see the Mann Made tuners lack the PRS logo on the back.

Are the tuners actually modified to remove that logo insert? I've read that they will actually modify your current set, so would those retain the PRS logo then? Any recommendations on where to buy the official Phase II set?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure of the answer to your question. Pick up the phone and give John a call. Great guy!

Thanks in advance.
John might chime in to clarify, but I believe he gets the SE tuners from the same supplier, just without the prs logo so he can sell them.
He will modify your existing set, but you would have to send them to him

Thanks for the quick responses. I did not realize John frequented this board, so I actually emailed him already based on bodia's suggestion.

I know it is superficial, but I would prefer to have the PRS logo on the tuners.

Thanks for the quick responses. I did not realize John frequented this board, so I actually emailed him already based on bodia's suggestion.

I know it is superficial, but I would prefer to have the PRS logo on the tuners.

From what I remember on his site, I'm pretty sure you can send in your tuners for him to modify them. That way they keep the prs logo

I sent him my tuners for the P2 mod and they came back perfect. I'll let him answer the question, but his mod is very cool. Highly recommended

Thanks again, everyone...I will await John's response to my email. I'll report back here once he gives me the details.

Back