Schaller type straplock help for PRS SE 245, plus other guitars

Beery Swine

So, the dude I bought my McCarty from had already put Schaller straplocks on it, so I figured it was time to invest in a little securtiy for a few other guitars. I just kinda thought all strap screws would be the same size for guitars, so I bought Fender strap locks. Swell, the two guitars I really wanted to put these on use different screws. The SE 245's are slightly thicker, and my other pointy stratish guitar's are much thick. The latter ain't so bad, because the strap buttons are pretty heft anyways, plus the guitar barely weighs anything, but the 245's buttons I've never liked.
Can any of you recommend some straplocks for a 2014 Korean SE 245? Are PRS models all the same when it comes to screws for the strap buttons, or do they vary based on production location, America vs. Korea vs. China and such?

Also, I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the Tech Center section. Apologies to mods in advance if this is the wrong place.

I use the old-fangled Schallers and usually have good luck re-using the stock screws that came with the guitar. I don't know if you can still do that with the latest iteration of Schallers. (Dunlop StrakLoks usually don't work with the stock screws of my guitars)

I use the old-fangled Schallers and usually have good luck re-using the stock screws that came with the guitar. I don't know if you can still do that with the latest iteration of Schallers. (Dunlop StrakLoks usually don't work with the stock screws of my guitars)
Nah, the screwheads on the 3 guitars I've checked so far don't fit into the strap button hole.

Nah, the screwheads on the 3 guitars I've checked so far don't fit into the strap button hole.
By don't fit, do you mean the hole's too big or too small?

Too big: fill with toothpicks & woodglue.
Too small: drill it out gently.

I use the new Schaller S-Locks on all of mine. The strap button has a built-in screw. It's worked fine for me across the board (cores & SEs).

The heads are just slightly too large, you can fix them if you want:

Put the screw thread side into a drill. Don't tighten the chuck too much, you don't want the threads to get mangled.

Hold a piece of sandpaper to the edge of the screw head and run the drill.

Only do this until the head *just* fits into the Schaller strap button.

By don't fit, do you mean the hole's too big or too small?

Too big: fill with toothpicks & woodglue.
Too small: drill it out gently.

I use the new Schaller S-Locks on all of mine. The strap button has a built-in screw. It's worked fine for me across the board (cores & SEs).
Sorry for not specifying.
The guitar's stock screwheads are too big to fit down the hole of the button, and the screw which came with the straplocks are too small for the guitar's button holes to really feel secure, like you'd be worried the screws would just strip the hole over time.
Also, how do the S locks work? I've seen them, but haven't seen how they're different from normal.
The heads are just slightly too large, you can fix them if you want:

Put the screw thread side into a drill. Don't tighten the chuck too much, you don't want the threads to get mangled.

Hold a piece of sandpaper to the edge of the screw head and run the drill.

Only do this until the head *just* fits into the Schaller strap button.
Well, I could try doing that over at a friend's house at some point, but I don't have the tools for it.

Update: I misjudged the girth of the SE 245 screws. I think they *might* have just a tad bit wider threading on them, but the straplock screws are definitely stable once you screw them in.
Okay, good news on that end. Looking at the old McCarty buttons, the screws are long enough to go in the Esoterik super strat probably. The size of those McCarty buttons would definitely be a step up, even if I couldn't get the straplocks on. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

Are PRS models all the same when it comes to screws for the strap buttons, or do they vary based on production location, America vs. Korea vs. China and such?

The new Schaller S-Locks fit my 2018 MiK SE 24. Kinda, sorta make them out on my avatar photo.

Sorry for not specifying.
The guitar's stock screwheads are too big to fit down the hole of the button, and the screw which came with the straplocks are too small for the guitar's button holes to really feel secure, like you'd be worried the screws would just strip the hole over time.
Also, how do the S locks work? I've seen them, but haven't seen how they're different from normal.

Well, I could try doing that over at a friend's house at some point, but I don't have the tools for it.

The S locks have a set screw on the "nut" that goes on the strap peg. Insert peg through strap, screw on "nut", tighten set screw. In theory, they'll never work loose. I use them and have not had one come loose, yet.

Back