Schaller megaswitch question

mrk691

Hi. I'm interested in replacing the 5 way blade switch of my core Custom with a schaller megaswitch "M" model.
I change pickups quite frequently and the schaller seems easier to wire. They also have diagrams with various pickup config beside the standard PRS combination.
So my question is will it fit into my guitar? and will I be able to use stock PRS switch tip (flat paddle tip)?

The M is a pretty good switch. It'll have no problems fitting. I do not think the PRS tip will fit, though. Unless they've changed it, the Schaller has a thicker blade.

You do have to be a bit careful when soldering. If you apply too much heat, the solder pads can delaminate from the board

Let me tag along on this thread. I need to replace the five way switch on a custom 22 soap bar. It seems that the Schaller mega switch E is the right choice to get the same wiring. It also appears that PRS used a Schaller switch back in 2000 when my guitar was made. Anyone expect compatibility issues?

My luthier (and former factory worker) had me get a Schaller E switch. My #1 is a 2010 triple soapie. The old switch is getting suspect, so I’m keeping it with the guitar. Is that a triple soapie stop bar in your avatar? NOICE!

My luthier (and former factory worker) had me get a Schaller E switch. My #1 is a 2010 triple soapie. The old switch is getting suspect, so I’m keeping it with the guitar. Is that a triple soapie stop bar in your avatar? NOICE!
Thank you for the information. I looked at the wiring on the Schaller E mega switch and it matches the the wiring for the PRS custom 22 soapbar. Yes the picture in my avatar is actually an 2005 SE model that was advertised as an original factory three pickup model. Consensus here was that it was not original. I posted quite a few pictures including gutshots. I bought the switch for a 2000 PRS Custom 22 soapbar that needs a new switch. I noticed in the diagrams that were up on the PRS site that it’s a Schaller part. As you know the middle position on the five way switch on the CU22 with 3 soapbars gives you both neck and bridge at the same time which is different than many switches.

I am really impressed with the variety of tones available with the three soapbars. That middle position with bridge and neck together is awesome. With the volume slightly down all three have a very loud bold tone. Kick in an overdrive and it gets crunchy as heck but maintains clarity.

I installed a new Schaller Megaswitch version E into my '00 CU22 Soapbar this morning and it is a perfect physical and electronic replacement. Fits exactly the same and provides for the same internal switch wiring (Neck / Neck - Middle / Neck - Bridge / Middle - Bridge / Bridge). The old switch is more rugged in that it has riveted through board lugs that cannot lift. Simply heating the solder to the melting point is enough to start to lift the current design pads. Use a low wattage iron and some care and you'll be fine. The new switch provides for a nice solid feel and positive feedback when changing positions.

Back