Scarce info on Santana 2011

Steve2549

Hey guys, I'm new here and about to get my first PRS. Looking at a 2011 Santana, and I can't find much info on this particular year of the Santana. Anyone familiar with the differences between it and the previous model years?

I'll leave the specifics of minor changes from year to year in a specific model to someone with more knowledge than I have. The good news is that once PRS designs a model, it is only minor changes or tweaks from year to year, including changes to available colors...

Which Santana are you looking at? There are several: Santana I; Santana II; Santana SE; not to mention artist and Private Stock versions....

I'll leave the specifics of minor changes from year to year in a specific model to someone with more knowledge than I have. The good news is that once PRS designs a model, it is only minor changes or tweaks from year to year, including changes to available colors...

Which Santana are you looking at? There are several: Santana I; Santana II; Santana SE; not to mention artist and Private Stock versions....
That's just it, I'm not sure. The serial # has an 11 prefix, and the rest of the serial also indicates a 2011. The FB is bound, the birds are hollow, and the eagle inlay on the headstock is solid, and the headstock has a rosewood veneer. It's not an SE, 1, or 2. Has only volume and tune knobs and one toggle for pups. Pups are also covered.

Last edited:
I think 2011 models should have the V12 finish instead of poly, Phase III tuners with exposed gears instead of Phase IIs with covered gears, and the rest of the attributes should be consistent with earlier years. An initial rundown is here, scroll down to the Santana model:

http://prsguitars.com/csc/models.html

Also PRS customer service is pretty good about providing info.

Santanas are terrific guitars. Congrats!

I had decided I wanted to go prs after trying a few out but couldn't decide on which model from what was available to me. When I saw a Santana pop up on Sam Ash's used gear site, it spoke to me and I knew it was the one. :)

The Santana shape is what spoke to me first also !!!!!
Really love the neck and middle position ( bridge is great also )
The neck carve is nice and fat !!!
Happy hunting

Mine is what they call faded bluejean quilt, and the volume pot is much closer to the pup. Can't figure out how to post a pic here from my iPhone....

Yes, it has open tuners. How's the durability of the V12 finish? Thanks!!

There are some who've found it more fragile than the older poly finishes, but I think they're the exceptions rather than the rule. I've had a fair number of older PRSes with the older finishes.

I've got two with the V12 and have found no real difference in durability. I like the look of the V12 better, it seems thinner and I can't tell it from the nitro PRS used on my Private Stock. While I can't equate sound and finishes, the newer guitars do sound livelier to my ears (on average) than the poly finished guitars, but there are other improvements made to these models that might also affect the sound, so...I don't have a conclusion regarding how the finish affects sound quality.

Those who've had issues with the V12 seem to have them when the guitar is still pretty new. So if you're concerned about that, inspect the guitar before you buy it.

Thanks for the info. It couldn't be worse than my Les Paul for sure lol. I had it shipped from a Sam Ash in Illinois and should be here today, if FedEx doesn't try to deliver until after I get home from work.

Back