Scam Japanese eBay auctions???

tonyvenn

Hello all...

I scour eBay daily for PRS.

I'm amazed that most of the nicest and/or rare and/or most unusual PRSi seem to be in Japan....

I just figured...Japanese collectors, etc etc, they pay top dollar, etc etc, PRS makes different models for the overseas market, etc etc

BUT

I'm getting REALLY tired of seeing the same guitar listed 2 or 3 times, at different prices from different sellers.

To wit:

https://www.ebay.com/i/192334858637

https://www.ebay.com/i/182832052900

This is just ONE example....

I've tried reporting these listings to eBay, but it's just a maze of crap that ultimately leads nowhere. I'm guessing they don't care.

Buyer beware!

Tony

I had similar things happen to me when I was managing a Lamborghini dealership. Seems folks in other countries would list my cars on their language ebay, craigslist, etc. They would try to "broker" my inventory through their name and make a quick buck. In fact I met a person doing this that helped me sell a large number of used cars to Denmark and Russia.

I would be willing to bet there is a "brick and mortar" store in Japan that has this guitar and the folks on ebay are using their english skills in hopes of getting an American or Canadian to buy the guitar from them. Once paid they would run down to the shop and purchase the guitar for some amount less than paid via ebay.

just my 2cents...may not be a scam as much as a less than upfront second party seller.

Last edited:
I had similar things happen to me when I was managing a Lamborghini dealership. Seems folks in other countries would list my cars on their language ebay, craigslist, etc. They would try to "broker" my inventory through their name and make a quick buck. In fact I met a person doing this that helped me sell a large number of used cars to Denmark and Russia.

I would be willing to bet there is a "brick and mortar" store in Japan that has this guitar and the folks on ebay are using their english skills in hopes of getting an American or Canadian to buy the guitar from them. Once paid they would run down to the shop and purchase the guitar for some amount less than paid via ebay.

just my 2cents...may not be a scam as much as a less than upfront second party seller.

This is exactly what's happening. Each listing is from a different broker who takes your money, goes to the shop, buys it, packs it for export and keeps a markup that they already popped on. They are aware that there is stuff on the Japanese market that is hard to get elsewhere, and they are aware that many Japanese dealers do not have the English-language websites or even email skills to make it happen easily, so they are acting as an intermediary.

It's still a little dubious - in practice, you don't know that you're going to get the exact guitar you've bought - what if two different people buy from two different brokers at the same time? - and of course there is no recourse for problems at all (save for some legalistic things like Section 75 credit card protection in the UK).

Also, I don't believe you are permitted to "broker" things on eBay this way - private sellers must possess the item they are selling - but eBay doesn't seem to care as they take the fees.

I guess for a rare out-of-production piece it might be worth the risk if you REALLY wanted it but they offer loads of current stuff that I'm 100% sure I could get at a local dealer for much less once their (sometimes crazy) markup is taken out.

...what if two different people buy from two different brokers at the same time?
Exactly. Don't do it. And if the store they are buying from has an online shop -- and that's why they're using the exact same pictures -- you can usually get it directly from them -- and for less -- if you're willing to go through the rigamarole (I have -- I have a bonnie-ish pink SE that I got from Japan, as well as a gorgeous SC-J that I got at a lower price than I've seen before or since) and time it when the dollar/yen ratio is in your favour.

Last edited:
Exactly. Don't do it. And if the store they are buying from has an online shop -- and that's why they're using the exact same pictures -- you can usually get it directly from them, if you're willing to go through the rigamarole (I have -- I have a bonnie-ish pink SE that I got from Japan, as well as a gorgeous SC-J that I got at a lower price than I've seen before or since) and time it when the dollar/yen ratio is in your favour.

I've seen those pink SE's and they're soooooooo sick.

You have to be really desperate to buy from them in any event. I always scan Bay for any of the 20th Anniversary guitars and quite often their pricing could be 50% or more higher than what I would expect to pay in the EU. Then I would still need to add VAT and the price suddenly becomes quite ridiculous. Much better to just wait for something locally.

Back