Scales: The Missing Link

If you know what you’re doing, why are you worried about time saving?
Time saving makes for more efficient practice and allows you to approach the modes from another angle.

Who gets on stage to do a song, not knowing what they’re doing?
I played as a gigging musician for 5+ years and there are many instances where the band leader will read the room and call out a song not on the setlist. If that happens and you don't know the song you HAVE to start thinking very quickly and taking advantage of all the time you have to get to the right notes or risk looking absolutely lost.

Is someone shouting chords at you as the song progresses at the same time you’re trying to figure out the scale?
Not shouting because that bleeds through vocal mics. Holding up fingers for numbers is common.

Why don’t you already know what scales work over the Tennessee Waltz chords?
I know those chords because I've had years to digest how the modes function and what to play over and chord in any song.

Are you attempting to improvise over 5 chords?
Sometimes you don't have time to work up a solo, so yes.

Are you trying to improvise I’ve 9 chords in two different keys.
No. In the example there is only one tonic. G

What does “live setting” have to do with not being prepared and not knowing what you’re doing.
See above.

If you have to think on your feet QUICKLY are you more likely to make a mistake?
Not if you can process information accurately and efficiently.

What does your situation have to do with what I’m talking about?
See above.

What I’m talking about are completely different things.
Apparently.

The mode applies to what I’m talking about.
This wasn't my point.

Can you play the G major pentatonic over a G7 chord? How about C? D? G?
G7? Yes. C? No because it implies Cmajor7 which isn't specified by the chord.
D? No because G major pentatonic only contains the root and 5th of D and misses the tension/resolution of the F# in the D
G? Obviously.

Time saving makes for more efficient practice and allows you to approach the modes from another angle.

I played as a gigging musician for 5+ years and there are many instances where the band leader will read the room and call out a song not on the setlist. If that happens and you don't know the song you HAVE to start thinking very quickly and taking advantage of all the time you have to get to the right notes or risk looking absolutely lost.

Is someone shouting chords at you as the song progresses at the same time you’re trying to figure out the scale?
Not shouting because that bleeds through vocal mics. Holding up fingers for numbers is common.

I know those chords because I've had years to digest how the modes function and what to play over and chord in any song.

What does “live setting” have to do with not being prepared and not knowing what you’re doing.
See above.

If you have to think on your feet QUICKLY are you more likely to make a mistake?

See above.

Apparently.

This wasn't my point.

D? No because G major pentatonic only contains the root and 5th of D and misses the tension/resolution of the F# in the D
G? Obviously.

G? Obviously.

You’re in the Key of G.

The B is in the Gmajor scale and is related to the G and the C.

The B is in the C major scale AND G major scale.

To say you can’t play the G major pentatonic over a C Major chord is an indication you spitefully live in Cartoonland.

See above.

See above.

Apparently.

This wasn't my point.

G? Obviously.

Can’t play G major pentatonic over D?

The G major pentatonic scale contains the 1, minor 2, 4th, 5th, AND the minor 6th of D.

You’re already creating the F# tension playing the D Major chord. The F# is playing THE WHOLE TIME and creates different tensions under certain notes.

D isn’t in the C Major chord. Are you saying you can’t play the D note over a C chord?

How about A? A isn’t in A C major chord either. You can’t play the A note?

Don’t want the B note in the scale when playing C major chord? Then don’t play it.

To say you can’t play it is ridiculous.

Can’t play G major pentatonic over D?

The G major pentatonic scale contains the 1, minor 2, 4th, 5th, AND the minor 6th of D.

You’re already creating the F# tension playing the D Major chord. The F# is playing THE WHOLE TIME and creates different tensions under certain notes.

D isn’t in the C Major chord. Are you saying you can’t play the D note over a C chord?

How about A? A isn’t in A C major chord either. You can’t play the A note?

Don’t want the B note in the scale when playing C major chord? Then don’t play it.

To say you can’t play it is ridiculous.

The G Major pentatonic contains the notes
G
A
B
D
E

Which in D gives us the intervals
And 2 (not minor 2)

All I'm saying is what you've already said about not using notes not from the chords.

All the stuff about you "shouldn't" play certain notes, which is another topic vehemently expressed in another of your prior posts, was the exact same thing I said at the very start of this thread.

I started to feel anxious but then read an interview with steve wilson where he says he doesn't know any chord names out of the basic stuff :D

i'll check out that app, thks

Back