Scale to weigh guitars

Correct, but if you move the guitar so that the center of mass is above the platform, it doesn't matter how much is hanging over the edges, as long as the entire mass of the guitar is supported by the platform of the scale.

A postal scale should be fine.
<--- Also has a degree (in engineering), and there is also one more thing to consider. If the weight is not centered on the scale (center of mas at center of scale, the reading can be off because internal to the scale the weight is shifted. Try standing "mostly" on one foot and see how much the scale moves around. The weight needs to be stable. If stable, the reading will be correct if the guitar is free standing.

That was likely what I read was trying to get at, and I misinterpreted it. I appreciate the respectful corrections. It's nice to see some people can be civil about it.

That was likely what I read was trying to get at, and I misinterpreted it. I appreciate the respectful corrections. It's nice to see some people can be civil about it.

No malice intended...

You have to admit posts 6, 7 and 8 made for interesting reading!

When Corey get his scale, he'll need to do some tests weighing the guitars in different positions:D
I'm guessing it will come out the same, or a small negligible difference.

No malice intended...

You have to admit posts 6, 7 and 8 made for interesting reading!

Yeah, you're right because reading it back now I'm thinking it doesn't make any sense and wasn't what I was trying to get across. Thankfully Dusty Chalk and AP515 cleared it up for me.

Last edited:
They're lighter when resting on the strings face down - because air.

Air has mass and therefore would make it weigh more.
<I know you are just being funny, but everyone knows Engineers have no sense of humor!> :)

But, but, but..

The air is less dense than the guitar and creates buoyancy!

This, of course, is the proper orientation of a guitar for playing "water music."

Also, if it floats, it is not a witch.

...Also, if it floats, it is not a witch.

It may not be a witch, but it could be a Warlock!

bc-rich-kkw-guitar-body-1500.jpg

Go to your local Walmart or sporting goods store and get a fish scale. It'll have a nice little hook that you can hang on a peg head or a loop of string around the headstock.
that's what I use, a nice digital one.

I've only weighed a guitar once; when I offered one for sale and a guy who didn't buy it insisted on knowing the weight.

If it's your guitar, or you're in a store buying one, can't you just heft it and tell if it's too heavy, or too light?

Well you people are in luck as I happen to work for a scale company. Here is what you do........place guitar on scale.........read scale.

Of course if you don't have certified weights to check scale with, then who the hell knows!!!!!

The results are in, and I also moved the guitars around on the top of the scale, and not once did the weight deviate.
So in other words, it does not matter with this scale where you place the guitar.
I even had the SG with its neck diving down some and the rear of the body that rest on the scales top half in the air, and the weight stayed the same.

The Kingfisher bass was the heaviest of the bunch with the Tremonti and Custom 24 right behind it.
The lightest of the harem was the Angelus with the Fernandes and SG weighing in a bit more.

I like how this scale breaks down even into the smallest part of the ounce.

santana_full.jpg

Full shot of the SE Santana

santana.jpg

SE Santana weighing in at 7 lb 1.0 oz

custom24.jpg

SE Custom 24 weighing in at 8 lb 2.5 oz

zm.jpg

SE ZM weighing in at 7 lb 5.3 oz

408.jpg

408 weighing in at 7 lb 15.7 oz

angelus.jpg

SE Angelus weighing in at 5 lb 4.0 oz

kingfisher.jpg

SE Kingfisher weighing in at 8 lb 11.2 oz

tremonti.jpg

SE Tremonti weighing in at 8 lb 10.8 oz

sg.jpg

SG weighing in at 6 lb 1.2 oz

fernandes.jpg

Fernandes weighing in at 6 lb 0.8 oz

The Gibson SG still weighs a little less than the new S2, but out of all of my PRS guitars not counting the acoustic, the S2 is the lightest of the bunch.

s2_custom22.jpg

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow weighing in at 6 lb 8 oz

This is why I prefer to measure all my guitars by displacement, in cc's.

The fish in the tank get out of the way real quick! :eek:

j/k - Don't try this. ;)

This conversation reminded me of this classic.

Last edited:
Back