SC58

PatZ

Looking at an SC58 a friend is selling, but I don't see it on the PRS website. Other than the 2 piece bridge, is there a difference between this and the SC245? Is this better or worse than a custom 22? Any info would be great!

Commonly referred to as a stripped 58,
It was a limited run back in 2011/2012 that had some different features from the production SC245 at the time. Mainly the two piece bridge, and 57/08 pickups.

Looking at an SC58 a friend is selling, but I don't see it on the PRS website. Other than the 2 piece bridge, is there a difference between this and the SC245? Is this better or worse than a custom 22? Any info would be great!

If they're still "stock" unmodified, yes it would seem that the biggest difference between the SC58 and the SC245 would be the bridge configuration. This would be confirmed here:
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/model_history

Compared to the Custom 22... I would say the McCarty-style models above are different in that the McCarty bodies are all an extra ~1/8" thicker (I think that's the right number?) than the "Custom" model guitars. Plus the Customs almost always have the PRS Trem bridge and often hotter pickups, so they're aimed towards a slightly different target. All great guitars; but if your style leans more towards classic or low/mid-gain rock, the SC58 or SC245 are probably more what you'd expect. If you're more high-gain modern sounds, perhaps the Custom 22. But again, this is just a general rule and rules are made to be broken, so... Happy deciding!

The first SCs with the two piece bridge were SC 245s.
When PRS stopped putting the wraparound bridges on core SC bodies, they were still SC245s.

If they're still "stock" unmodified, yes it would seem that the biggest difference between the SC58 and the SC245 would be the bridge configuration. This would be confirmed here:
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/model_history

Compared to the Custom 22... I would say the McCarty-style models above are different in that the McCarty bodies are all an extra ~1/8" thicker (I think that's the right number?) than the "Custom" model guitars. Plus the Customs almost always have the PRS Trem bridge and often hotter pickups, so they're aimed towards a slightly different target. All great guitars; but if your style leans more towards classic or low/mid-gain rock, the SC58 or SC245 are probably more what you'd expect. If you're more high-gain modern sounds, perhaps the Custom 22. But again, this is just a general rule and rules are made to be broken, so... Happy deciding!
Thanks so much! What's the difference between an sc58 and an sc58 stripped?

I think there's some forum posts here that detail it. I can't remember the specifics, but basically the stripped has less bling. I think the SC58 has an artist grade top, neck binding and stuff like that. The stripped is more basically appointed and therefore was a cheaper guitar

Welcome to the forum.

You would not be disappointed with the SC 58. I think they sound beefier that the double cut Custom 22. I don’t know if it’s the thicker body or the Singlecut body shape? Or both? Or just my imagination? They just sound really powerful to me.

Plus, you’d be getting it from a friend so you can see it in person before you buy it. You’re also helping him out by buying it. You must have played it. Do you love it?

Welcome to the forum.

You would not be disappointed with the SC 58. I think they sound beefier that the double cut Custom 22. I don’t know if it’s the thicker body or the Singlecut body shape? Or both? Or just my imagination? They just sound really powerful to me.

Plus, you’d be getting it from a friend so you can see it in person before you buy it. You’re also helping him out by buying it. You must have played it. Do you love it?
Yes, I agree--I have found the singlecut body shape to have just a touch more "beef" or low-punch than the double-cut body shape (meaning the trademark PRS body shape). I don't know what it is, but yes my SC594 had it, and so does my Les Paul, but my SC-58 does not seem to have that beef. (If I had to pick only one, though, the McCarty 58 might still win, though; it's just "slightly different" not worse in any way.)

PRS seems to have even admitted this in that the singlecut 594 guitars get a special 58/15 LT "plus" version pickup, which is ever so slightly different to account for the contribution of that singlecut neck joint. Even confirmed by Shawn here:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/58-15-lt.40681/#post-512369

Actually the SC58 has a two piece bridge. I had two of them. Great guitars. My current SC is a McCarty Singlecut that also has a 2 piece bridge.

SC58s are high on my want list. I played one last year and fell in love. But, I am partial to 57/08s. for me the combo of the 57/08s in a SC is as good as it gets. YRMV.

Welcome to the forum.

Haven't played it yet, possibly trading my 2014 120th anniversary les paul standard plus, lots more features, beautiful AAAA root beer top, doesn't feel a comfy as the custom 24 I had before. My question is, what are the actual differences between the SC58, and the stripped one, besides neck binding. The one I'm looking at has a beautiful figured 10 top , definitely doesn't look like a cheaper model. Also, is this considered a McCarty? Thanks for your wisdom!

Thanks so much! What's the difference between an sc58 and an sc58 stripped?
SC58 has fancier abalone inlays with MOP outlines if I recall correctly and a nicer top. The stripped 58 either has birds with a bronze-ish colored birds with white outlines or dot inlays.

First came the original PRS Singlecut. 25” scale, 1 piece bridge. #7 pickups. That’s when the Gibson lawsuit happened. Production ceased til PRS won the lawsuit. A few Singlecuts trickled out(assuming guitars that were in production prior to lawsuit. Following that, 2 SC’s came out...
There’s the oldest SC245 which had a 1 piece bridge. 245 pickups. 24.5”scale. SC250 came at the same time with hotter 250 pickups(similar to Tremonti). 25” scale. Adjustable 1 piece stoptail. The 1957/2008 limited SC245 was likely one of the last years with the 1 piece stoptail.
There’s a little confusion because the SC 58 came followed shortly after by the stripped 58. Both 24.5” scale, 2 piece bridges. 57/08 pickups. Later they combined them and were called the SC245. So there were 2 SC245’s at different times.

Last edited:
Back